- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Computer Networks and Communications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 369803, 13 pages
ARQ-Aware Scheduling and Link Adaptation for Video Transmission over Mobile Broadband Networks
1Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UB, UK
2Department of Aircraft Technology, Technological Educational Institute (ATEI) of Chalkis, Psachna, 34400 Evia, Greece
Received 23 March 2012; Accepted 20 May 2012
Academic Editor: Martin Fleury
Copyright © 2012 Victoria Sgardoni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks part 16: 802.16, IEEE Std., 2006.
- LTE, Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (E-UTRA) and Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access Network (E-UTRAN); Overall description; Stage 2 (3GPP TS 36.300 version 10.5.0 Release 10), 3GPP Std., http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/html-info/36300.htm.
- O. Oyman, J. Foerster, Y. J. Tcha, and S. C. Lee, “Toward enhanced mobile video services over WiMAX and LTE,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 48, no. 8, pp. 68–76, 2010.
- I. Cerutti, F. Meucci, P. Castoldi, and L. Pierucci, “An adaptive cross-layer strategy for QoS-guaranteed links in 4G networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '08), pp. 1–5, New Orleans, La, USA, December 2008.
- H. Martikainen, A. Sayenko, O. Alanen, and V. Tykhomyrov, “Optimal MAC PDU size in IEEE 802.16,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Telecommunication Networking Workshop on QoS in Multiservice IP Networks (IT-NEWS '08), pp. 66–71, Venice, Italy, February 2008.
- A. Sayenko, V. Tykhomyrov, H. Martikainen, and O. Alanen, “Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.16 ARQ mechanism,” in Proceedings of the 10th ACM Symposium on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM '07), pp. 314–322, ACM, October 2007.
- F. Hou, J. She, P. H. Ho, and X. Shen, “Performance analysis of ARQ with opportunistic scheduling in IEEE 802.16 networks,” in Proceedings of the 50th Annual IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '07), pp. 4759–4763, Washington, DC, USA, November 2007.
- W. Wang, Z. Guo, X. Shen, and C. Chen, “Performance analysis of ARQ scheme in IEEE 802.16,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '06), pp. 1–5, San Francisco, Calif, USA, December 2006.
- W. Wang, Z. Guo, X. Shen, C. Chen, and J. Cai, “Dynamic bandwidth allocation for QoS provisioning in IEEE 802.16 networks with ARQ-SA,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 3477–3487, 2008.
- M. Chatterjee, S. Sengupta, and S. Ganguly, “Feedback-based real-time streaming over WiMax,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 64–71, 2007.
- W. Jianfeng, M. Venkatachalam, and F. Yuguang, “System architecture and cross-layer optimization of video broadcast over WiMAX,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 712–721, 2007.
- C. So-In, R. Jain, and A. K. Tamimi, “Scheduling in IEEE 802.16e mobile WiMAX networks: key issues and a survey,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 156–171, 2009.
- A. Sayenko, O. Alanen, and T. Hämäläinen, “ARQ aware scheduling for the IEEE 802.16 base station,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '08), pp. 2667–2673, Beijing, China, May 2008.
- S. Deb, S. Jaiswal, and K. Nagaraj, “Real-time video multicast in WiMAX networks,” in Proceedings of the 27th IEEE Communications Society Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '08), pp. 1579–1587, Phoenix, Ariz, USA, April 2008.
- 3GPP TR 25.996 V6.1.0 Spatial channel model for Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) simulations (Release 6), 3GPP Std., 2009.
- Mobile System Profile, WMF-T23-001-R010v09, WiMAX Forum Std., 2010.
- IEEE 802.16m Evaluation Methodology Document (EMD) IEEE 802.16m-08/004r5, IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Working Group Std., 2009, http://ieee802.org/16.
- V. Sgardoni, D. Halls, S. M. M. Bokhari, D. Bull, and A. Nix, “Mobile WiMAX video quality and transmission efficiency,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '11), pp. 1077–1082, September 2011.
- A. Esmailpour and N. Nasser, “Dynamic QoS-based bandwidth allocation framework for broadband wireless networks,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 2690–2700, 2011.
- IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks part 16: Air Interface for Broadband WirelessAccess Systems 802.16-2009, IEEE Std., 2009.
- Mobile WiMAX—part I: A Technical Overview and Performance Evaluation, WiMAX Forum Std., 2006.
- L. Wan, S. Tsai, and M. Almgren, “A fading-insensitive performance metric for a unified link quality model,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '06), pp. 2110–2114, April 2006.
- D. Halls, A. Nix, and M. Beach, “System level evaluation of UL and DL interference in OFDMA mobile broadband networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '11), pp. 1271–1276, Quintana Roo, Mexico, March 2011.
- V. Sgardoni, P. Ferré, A. Doufexi, A. Nix, and D. Bull, “Frame delay and loss analysis for video transmission over time-correlated 802.11A/G channels,” in Proceedings of the 18th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '07), pp. 1–5, Athens, Greece, September 2007.
- M. Tran, D. Halls, A. Nix, A. Doufexi, and M. Beach, “Mobile WiMAX: MIMO performance analysis from a quality of service (QoS) viewpoint,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC '09), pp. 1–6, Budapest, Hungary, April 2009.
- C. Cicconetti, A. Erta, L. Lenzini, and E. Mingozzi, “Performance evaluation of the IEEE 802.16 MAC for QoS support,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 26–38, 2007.
- “video test sequences,” http://media.xiph.org/video/derf/.
- H. Jenkač, T. Stockhammer, and G. Liebl, “H.264/AVC video transmission over MBMS in GERAN,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 6th Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, pp. 191–194, October 2004.
- T. Stockhammer and M. M. Hannuksela, “H.264/AVC video for wireless transmission,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 6–13, 2005.
- M. Baldi and Y. Ofek, “End-to-end delay analysis of videoconferencing over packet-switched networks,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 479–492, 2000.
- S. Liang and D. Cheriton, “TCP-RTM: using TCP for real time multimedia applications,” in International Conference on Network Protocols, 2002.
- WiMAX Forum Air Interface Specifications, WiMAX Forum Mobile System Profile, Release 1.0, WMF-T23- 001-R010v09, WiMAX Forum Std., 2007.
- D. Wu, Y. T. Hou, and Y. Q. Zhang, “Transporting real-time video over the Internet: challenges and approaches,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 88, no. 12, pp. 1855–1877, 2000.
- 3GPP TS 26.346 V8.0.0 (2008-10) Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS); Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service (MBMS); Protocols and codecs, ETSI Std., 2008.