- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Computer Networks and Communications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 642649, 14 pages
A Jointly Optimized Variable M-QAM and Power Allocation Scheme for Image Transmission
1American University of Sharjah, P.O. Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE
2Department of Systems and Computer Engineering Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Received 28 March 2011; Accepted 14 November 2011
Academic Editor: Khoa Le
Copyright © 2012 Mohamed El-Tarhuni et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- 3GPP, “Technical specification group radio access network: physical layer-general specification,” 2003, http://www.3gpp.org.
- GPP2 C.S0002, “Physical layer standard for CDMA2000 spread spectrum system,” 2011, http://www.3gpp2.org.
- A. Albanese, J. Blömer, J. Edmonds, M. Luby, and M. Sudan, “Priority encoding transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1737–1744, 1996.
- Y. M. Targali and E. V. Jones, “Unequal error protection for image transmission over GSM networks,” in Proceedings of the IEE European Workshop on Distributed Imaging, pp. 1–6, London, UK, 1999.
- H. Liu and M. El Zarki, “Transmission of video telephony images over wireless channels,” Wireless Networks, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 219–228, 1996.
- C. L. Huang and S. Liang, “Unequal error protection for MPEG-2 video transmission over wireless channels,” Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 67–79, 2004.
- Y. Q. Zhang, Y. J. Liu, and R. L. Pickholtz, “Layered image transmission over cellular radio channels,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 786–796, 1994.
- M. E. Buckley, M. G. Ramos, S. S. Hemami, and S. B. Wicker, “Perceptually-based robust image transmission over wireless channels,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '00), pp. 128–131, September 2000.
- Z. Wu, A. Bilgin, and M. W. Marcellin, “Joint source/channel coding for image transmission with JPEG2000 over memoryless channels,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1020–1032, 2005.
- J. Cai and C. W. Chen, “Robust joint source-channel coding for image transmission over wireless channels,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 962–966, 2000.
- R. H. Morelos-Zaragoza, M. P. C. Fossorier, S. Lin, and H. Imai, “Multilevel coded modulation for unequal error protection and multistage decoding-Part I: symmetric constellations,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 204–213, 2000.
- X. Wang and M. T. Orchard, “Design of superposition coded modulation for unequal error protection,” in Proceedings of the Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '01), pp. 412–416, June 2001.
- T. Cover and J. Thomas, Elements of Information Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- I. Kozintsev and K. Ramchandran, “Robust image transmission over energy-constrained time-varying channels using multiresolution joint source-channel coding,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1012–1026, 1998.
- W. C. Jakes, Microwave Mobile Communications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1974.
- Q. Zhang, Z. Ji, W. Zhu, and Y. Q. Zhang, “Power-minimized bit allocation for video communication over wireless channels,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 398–410, 2002.
- A. J. Goldsmith and S.-G. Chu, “Variable-rate variable-power MQAM for fading channels,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1218–1230, 1997.
- T. Shu and Z. Niu, “Uplink capacity optimization by power allocation for multimedia CDMA networks with imperfect power control,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1585–1594, 2003.
- G. H. Hakonsen, T. A. Ramstad, and A. Gjendemsj, “Image transmission with adaptive power and rate allocation over flat fading channels using joint source channel coding,” Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 9, pp. 312–321, 2008.
- S. Zhao, Z. Xiong, and X. Wang, “Joint error control and power allocation for video transmission over CDMA networks with multiuser detection,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 425–437, 2002.
- K. Kumaran and H. Viswanathan, “Joint power and bandwidth allocation in downlink transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1008–1015, 2005.
- H. Zheng and K. J. Liu, “The subband modulation: a joint power and rate allocation framework for subband image and video transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 823–838, 1999.
- W. Huang and K. Letaief, “Multilevel coded modulation for unequal error protection and multistage decodingpart I: symmetric constellations,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 55, pp. 728–739, 2007.
- A. Gjendemsjø, H. C. Yang, G. E. Oien, and M. S. Alouini, “Joint adaptive modulation and diversity combining with downlink power control,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 2145–2152, 2008.
- I. Pei and J. Modestino, “Multi-layered video transmission over wireless channels using an adaptive modulation and coding scheme,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 2, pp. 1009–1012, October 2005.
- A. Babaei and B. Abolhassani, “A new iterative method for joint power and modulation adaptation in cellular systems,” in Proceedings of the 2nd IFIP International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications Networks (WOCN '05), pp. 94–97, March 2005.
- J. B. Kim and D. Kim, “Joint adaptive modulation and power allocation for variable-rate space-time block codes,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 26–28, 2008.
- Q. Du and X. Zhang, “Joint power and constellation size adaptation for mobile multicast employing M-QAM over wireless fading channels,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC '05), pp. 5945–5950, June 2005.
- A. Bin Sediq and M. El-Tarhuni, “MMSE power allocation for image and video transmission over wireless channels,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 16th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC '05), pp. 1060–1064, September 2005.
- M. Hassan, T. Landolsi, H. Mukhtar, and T. Shanableh, “Skip length and inter-starvation distance as a combined metric to assess the quality of transmitted video,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Video Processing and Quality Metrics for Consumer Electronics (VPQM '10), Phoenix, Ariz, USA, January 2010.
- S. Boyd and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- J. W. Craig, “A new, simple and exact result for calculating the probability of error for two-dimensional signal constellations,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM '91), vol. 2, pp. 571–575, November 1991.