- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Computer Networks and Communications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 748163, 17 pages
Exploiting Location and Contextual Information to Develop a Comprehensive Framework for Proactive Handover in Heterogeneous Environments
1School of Engineering and Information Sciences, Middlesex University, Hendon, London NW4 4BT, UK
2Department of Computer Science, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana
3Mathematics and Computer Sciences Institute, University of Sao Paulo, 13566-590 Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
4Department of Informatics, Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology of Sao Paulo, 14801-600 Araraquara, SP, Brazil
5Department of Information Systems, Santa Catarina State University, 89283-081 Sao Bento do Sul, SC, Brazil
Received 10 March 2012; Revised 7 June 2012; Accepted 8 June 2012
Academic Editor: Hoon Ko
Copyright © 2012 G. Mapp et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Schiller, Mobile Communications, Addison Wesley, 2nd edition, 2003.
- J. McNair and F. Zhu, “Vertical handoffs in fourth-generation multinetwork environments,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 8–15, 2004.
- E. Gustafsson and A. Jonsson, “Always best connected,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 2003.
- IEEE 802.21 Working Group, “IEEE 802.21: Media Independent Handover Services,” http://www.ieee802.org/21.
- D. Johnson, C. Perkins, and J. Arkko, RFC 3775 —Mobility Support in IPv6, IETF, 2004.
- P. McCann, Mobile IPV6 Fast Handovers for 802.11 Networks, IETF, 2005.
- G. Mapp, D. Cottingham, F. Shaikh et al., “An architectural framework for heterogeneous networking,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Wireless Information Networks and Systems (WINSYS '06), pp. 5–10, August 2006.
- S. Bansal, A. Lasebae, and R. Comley, “Freedom to choose along-with freedom of mobility,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies: From Theory to Applications (ICTTA '04), p. 191, April 2004.
- L. Patanapongpibul, G. Mapp, and A. Hopper, “An end-system approach to mobility management for 4G networks and its application to thin-client computing,” ACM Mobile Computing and Communications Review, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 13–33, 2006.
- D. Cottingham, I. Wassell, and R. Harle, “Performance of IEEE 802.11a in vehicular contexts,” in Proceedings of IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '07), pp. 854–858, April 2007.
- D. Cottingham, Vehicular wireless communications [Ph.D. thesis], Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, January 2009.
- F. Shaikh, A. Lasebae, and G. Mapp, “Proactive policy management for heterogeneous networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies: From Theory to Applications (ICTTA '08), April 2008.
- F. Shaikh, Intelligent proactive handover and QoS management using TBVH in heterogeneous networks [Ph.D. thesis], School of Engineering and Information Sciences, Middlesex University, January 2010.
- W. Chen, J. Liu, and H. Huang, “Implementation and performance study of IEEE 802.21 in integrated IEEE 802.11/802.16e networks,” in Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 2004.
- V. Abhayawardhana, I. Wassell, D. Crosby, M. Sellars, and M. Brown, “Comparison of empirical propagation path loss models for fixed wireless access systems,” in Proceedings of IEEE 61st Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC '05), pp. 73–77, Springer, June 2005.
- “Radio theory and link planning for Wireless LAN (WLAN),” http://www.swisswireless.org/wlan_calc_en.html.
- G. Mapp, F. Shaikh, M. Aiash, R. Vanni, M. Augusto, and E. Moreira, “Exploring efficient imperative handover mechanisms for heterogeneous networks,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium of Emerging Ubiquitous and Persuasive Systems, Indianapolis, Ind, USA, August 2009.
- Wikipedia, “Article on WiFi,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi.
- J. Medisetty, Exploring coverage areas to facilitate vertical proactive handovers [M. Sc. thesis], School of Engineering and Information Sciences, Middlesex University, November 2011.
- S. Maniyar, Characterising network attachment points to facilitate proactive vertical handover [M. Sc. thesis], School of Engineering and Information Sciences, Middlesex University, November 2011.
- N. Chinnam, Exploring different propagation models for wireless networks for different environments [M. Sc. thesis], School of Engineering and Information Sciences, Middlesex University, February 2012.
- M. Braga, “Cell phone reception explained: what the bars mean,” July 2010, http://www.tested.com/news/cell-phone-reception-explained-what-the-bars-mean/510/.
- V. Andrei, E. C. Popovici, O. Fratu, and S. V. Halunga, “Development of an IEEE 802.21 media independent information service,” in Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Automation, Quality and Testing, Robotics (AQTR '10), pp. 123–128, May 2010.
- D. Dave, Local network information for proactive handovers [M. Sc. thesis], School of Engineering and Information Sciences, Middlesex University, August 2010.
- D. Cottingham and P. Vidales, “Is latency the real enemy in next generation networks?” in Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Convergence of Hetergeneous Wireless Networks, July 2005.
- R. R. F. Lopes, B. J. van Beijnum, and E. D. S. Moreira, “Towards a feasible social-based methodology to manage wireless connectivity context data,” in Proceedings of IEEE 7th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob ’11), pp. 237–244, Shanghai, China, October 2011.
- R. R. F. Lopes, B. J. Van Beijnum, and E. D. S. Moreira, “Managing wireless IP-connectivity experiences as mobile social media,” in Proceedings of the International Congress on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems and Workshops (ICUMT '10), pp. 154–161, October 2010.
- E. D. S. Moreira, J. Crowcroft, G. Mapp, D. Cottingham, P. Hui, and R. Vanni, “Exploiting contextual handover information for versatile services in NGN environments,” in Proceeings of the 2nd International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM '07), October 2007.
- U. Horn, C. Prehofer, H. Karl, et al., “Ambient networks: an architecture for communication networks beyond 3G,” IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 14–22, 2004.
- M. Kuroda, M. Yoshida, R. Ono, S. Kiyomoto, and T. Tanaka, “Secure service and network framework for mobile ethernet,” Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 29, no. 3-4, pp. 161–190, 2004.
- M. Aiash, G. Mapp, A. Lasebae et al., “A survey of potential architectures for communication in heterogeneous networks,” in Proceedings of the Wireless Telecommunications Symposium (WTS '12), April 2012.
- Y-Comm Web Page, http://www.mdx.ac.uk/research/areas/software/ycomm_research.aspx.
- G. Mapp, F. Shaikh, J. Crowcroft, D. Cottingham, and J. Baliosian, “Y-Comm: a global architecture for heterogeneous networking,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Annual International Wireless Internet Conference (WICON '07), October 2007.
- J. der Merwe and I. Leslie, “Switchlets and dynamic virtual ATM networks,” in Proceedings of the Integrated Network Management V, 1997.
- M. Aiash, G. Mapp, and A. Lasebae, “Security and QoS integration for protecting service providers in hterogeneous environments,” IAENG International Journal of Computer Science, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 384–393.
- M. Aiash, G. Mapp, A. Lasebae, J. Loo, and R. Phan, “A formally verified AKA protocol for vertical handover in heterogeneous environments using Casper/FDR,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communincations and Networking, 2012. In press, http://jwcn.eurasipjournals.com/content/2012/1/57/.
- R. Vanni, K. Branco, E. Moreira, and G. Mapp, “Information for handover management in heterogeneous networks: data representation, languages and integrated platforms,” in Proceedings of the 7th CONTECSI-International Conference on Information Systems and Technology Management, pp. 1–13, Sao Paulo, Brazil, May 2010.
- P. Vidales, G. Mapp, F. Stajano, J. Crowcroft, and C. J. Bernardos, “A practical approach for 4G systems: deployment of overlay networks,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the Development of Networks and Communities (Tridentcom '05), pp. 172–181, IEEE Computer Society, February 2005.
- P. Vidales, R. Chakravorty, and C. Policroniades, “PROTON: a policy-based solution for future 4G devices,” in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks (POLICY '04), pp. 219–222, June 2004.
- W. Soh and H. S. Kim, “Dynamic bandwidth reservation in cellular networks using road topology based mobility predictions,” in Proceedings of IEEE 23rd Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '04), pp. 2766–2777, March 2004.
- F. Shaikh, G. Mapp, and A. Lasebae, “Proactive policy management using TBVH mechanism in heterogeneous networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies (NGMAST '07), pp. 151–157, September 2007.
- D. Cottingham, R. Harle, and A. Hopper, “Constructing accurate, space-efficient, wireless coverage maps for vehicular contexts,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Wireless Internet Conference (ISTWICON '08), November 2008.
- A. Saleh, A location-aided decision algorithm for handover across heterogeneous wireless overlay networks [M.Sc. thesis], Virginia Polytechnique Institute and State University, 2004.
- X. Yan, N. Mani, and Y. Cekercioglu, “A traveling distance prediction based method to minimize unnecessary handovers from cellular networks to WLANs,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 14–16, 2008.