- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Computer Networks and Communications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 815374, 12 pages
Dynamic Resource Management in 802.11 Wireless Mesh Networks
Automatic Control Lab, School of Electrical Engineering, KTH Royal Institue of Technology, 10044 Stockholm, Sweden
Received 19 April 2012; Accepted 26 June 2012
Academic Editor: Liansheng Tan
Copyright © 2012 George Athanasiou. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “IEEE 802. 11: wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications, ANSI/IEEE Std 802. 11,” 1999.
- I. F. Akyildiz, X. Wang, and W. Wang, “Wireless mesh networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 445–487, 2005.
- G. Athanasiou, T. Korakis, O. Ercetin, and L. Tassiulas, “Dynamic cross-layer association in 802.11-based mesh networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 26th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '07), pp. 2090–2098, Anhcorage, Ala, USA, May 2007.
- W. Arbaugh, A. Mishra, and M. Shin, “An empirical analysis of the IEEE 802. 11 MAC layer handoff process,” in Proceedings of the SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review (ACM '03), vol. 33, 2003.
- Y. Bejerano and R. S. Bhatia, “MiFi: a framework for fairness and QoS assurance in current IEEE 802.11 networks with multiple access points,” in Proceedings of the 23th Conference the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM '04), pp. 1229–1240, March 2004.
- Y. Bejerano, S. J. Han, and L. Li, “Fairness and load balancing in wireless LANs using association control,” in Proceedings of the Tenth Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom '04), pp. 315–329, October 2004.
- T. Korakis, O. Ercetin, S. Krishnamurthy, L. Tassiulas, and S. Tripathi, “Link quality based Association Mechanism in IEEE 802.11h compliant Wireless LANs,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Resource Allocation in Wireless Networks (RAWNET '05), April 2005.
- IEEE 802. 11h: wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications: spectrum and transmit power management extentions in the 5 GHz band in Europe.
- B. Kauffmann, F. Baccelli, A. Chaintreau, V. Mhatre, K. Papagiannaki, and C. Diot, “Measurement-based self organization of interfering 802.11 wireless access networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 26th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '07), pp. 1451–1459, Anhcorage, Ala, USA, May 2007.
- I. Ramani and S. Savage, “SyncScan: practical fast handoff for 802.11 infrastructure networks,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Conference of the IEEE Communications Society (INFOCOM '05), pp. 675–684, March 2005.
- M. Shin, A. Mishra, and W. A. Arbaugh, “Improving the latency of 802. 11 hand-offs using neighbor graphs,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications and Services (MobiSys '04), pp. 70–83, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- V. Brik, A. Mishra, and S. Banerjee, “Eliminating handoff latencies in 802.11 WLANs using multiple radios: applications, experience, and evaluation,” in Proceedings of the ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC '05), October 2005.
- A. Kumar and V. Kumar, “Optimal association of stations and APs in an IEEE 802.11 WLAN,” in Proceedings of of the National Conference on Communications (NCC '05), IIT Kharagpur, January 2005.
- S. Shakkottai, E. Altman, and A. Kumar, “The case for non-cooperative multihoming of users to access points in IEEE 802.11 WLANs,” in Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '06), Barcelona, Spain, April 2006.
- S. Pack, J. Choi, T. Kwon, and Y. Choi, “Fast handoff support in IEEE 802.11 wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials (CST '06), August 2006.
- E. Garcia, R. Vidal, and J. Paradells, “Load balancing in WLANs through IEEE 802.11k mechanisms,” in Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC '06), pp. 844–849, Cagliari, Italy, June 2006.
- IEEE 802.11 WG, “Draft supplement to standard for telecommunications and information exchange between systemsLAN/MAN specific requirements part 11: wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications: specification for radio resource measurement,” in IEEE 802. 11k/D3.0, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, NY, USA, October 2005.
- A. Sang, M. Madihian, X. Wang, and R. D. Gitlin, “Coordinated load balancing, handoff/cell-site selection, and scheduling in multi-cell packet data systems,” in Proceedings of the 10th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom '04), pp. 302–314, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, September 2004.
- Y. Bejerano and S. J. Han, “Cell breathing techniques for load balancing in wireless LANs,” in Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM '06), Barcelona, Spain, April 2006.
- P. Bahl, M. T. Hajiaghayi, K. Jain, S. V. Mirrokni, L. Qiu, and A. Saberi, “Cell breathing in wireless LANs: algorithms and evaluation,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 164–177, 2007.
- IEEE 802. 11s: wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications: simple efficient extensible mesh (SEE-Mesh) proposal.
- D. M. Chiu and R. Jain, “Analysis of the increase and decrease algorithms for congestion avoidance in computer networks,” Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1989.
- OPNET, Radio/Wireless Models, http://www.opnet.com/.