- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Computer Networks and Communications
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 935653, 15 pages
Device Characteristics and Capabilities Discovery for Multimedia Content
1Faculty of Computer and Mathematical Sciences, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Malaysia
2Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Malaysia
Received 5 January 2012; Revised 20 April 2012; Accepted 21 April 2012
Academic Editor: Yueh M. Huang
Copyright © 2012 Mohd Faisal Ibrahim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. H. Yang, J. Zhang, R. C. S. Chen, and N. W. Y. Shao, “A unit of information-based content adaptation method for improving web content accessibility in the mobile internet,” ETRI Journal, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 793–807, 2007.
- F. Reynolds, J. Hjelm, S. Dawkins, and S. Singhal, Composite Capabilities/Preference Profiles (CC/PP): A User Side Framework for Content Negotiation, W3C Note, 1999, http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-CCPP.
- WAP Forum, “User agent profile specification, WAP forum,” Tech. Rep. WAP-248, October 2001.
- L. Passani, Wireless Universal Resource File Library (WURFL), 2009, http://wurfl.sourceforge.net.
- X. Sanchez-Loro, V. Beitran, J. Casademont, and M. Catalan, “Ubiquitous web access: collaborative optimization and dynamic content negotiation,” International Journal of Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering, vol. 3, no. 3, 2008.
- S. Manoharan, “Dynamic content management and delivery for mobile devices,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies (UBICOMM '07), pp. 63–67, November 2007.
- X. Zhao and T. Okamoto, “A device-independent system architecture for adaptive mobile learning,” in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT '08), pp. 23–25, July 2008.
- J. He, T. Gao, W. Hao, I. L. Yen, and F. Bastani, “A flexible content adaptation system using a rule-based approach,” IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 127–140, 2007.
- P. Salomoni, S. Mirri, S. Ferretti, and M. Roccetti, “A multimedia broker to support accessible and mobile learning through learning objects adaptation,” ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 9–23, 2008.
- S. Nepal and U. Srinivasan, “DAVE: a system for quality driven adaptive video delivery,” in Proceedings of the 5th ACM SIGMM International Workshop on Multimedia Information Retrieval, pp. 223–230, 2003.
- R. Eisinger, M. G. Manzato, and R. Goularte, “Devices descriptions for context-based content adaptation,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Latin American Web Congress (LA-WEB '05), pp. 121–129, November 2005.
- A. M. Haneef and A. Ganz, “ANMoLe—an adaptive multimedia content delivery middleware architecture for heterogeneous mobile multi-device neighborhoods,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 171–186, 2004.
- J. L. Hsiao, H. P. Hung, and M. S. Chen, “Versatile transcoding proxy for internet content adaptation,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 646–658, 2008.
- R. Mohan, J. R. Smith, and C. S. Li, “Adapting multimedia internet content for universal access,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 104–114, 1999.
- W. Y. Ma, I. Bedner, G. Chang, A. Kuchinsky, and H. Zhang, “Framework for adaptive content delivery in heterogeneous network environments,” in Proceedings of the SPIE/ACM Conference on Multimedia Computing and Networking, pp. 86–100, January 2000.
- C. Canali, V. Cardellini, and R. Lancellotti, “Content adaptation architectures based on squid proxy server,” World Wide Web, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 63–92, 2006.
- W. Zhu, C. Luo, J. Wang, and S. Li, “Multimedia cloud computing,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 59–69, 2011.
- R. Fielding, J. Gettys, J. Mogul et al., RFC 2616: Hypertext Transfer Protocol—HTTP/1.1, W3C Network Working Group, World Wide Web Consortium, 1999.
- H. Ohto and J. Hjelm, CC/PP Exchange Protocol Based on HTTP Extension Framework, W3C Working Draft, June 1999, http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-CCPPexchange.html.
- F. Reynolds, “Adapting content,” IEEE Pervasive Computing, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 6–8, 2008.
- M.H. Butler, “CC/PP and UAProf: issues, improvements and future directions,” Tech. Rep. HPL-2002-35, Information Infrastructure Laboratory, HP Laboratories, Hewlett Packard, 2002.
- C. Papachristos and E. Markatos, “A CC/PP aware apache web server,” in Proceedings of the 7th CabertNet Radicals Workshop, 2002.
- R. Hexel and E. Widjono, “WETA: bringing together Mobility and the Web,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on WWW/Internet, pp. 477–484, 2004.
- T. Laakko and T. Hiltunen, “Adapting web content to mobile user agents,” IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 46–53, 2005.
- X. Sanchez-Loro, V. Beltran, J. Casademont, and M. Catalan, “Ubiquitous web access and application layer optimization: dynamic content negotiation over cellular links,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Grid and Pervasive Computing Symposia/Workshops (GPC '08), pp. 269–274, May 2008.
- M. Hinz and Z. Fiala, “Context modeling for device and location-aware mobile web applications,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Pervasive Computing, 2005.
- M. Butler, L. Tran, E. Izdepski et al., Composite Capability/Preference Profiles (CC/PP) Processing Specification, W3C Public Draft, World Wide Web Consortium, 2002.
- B. Jankowska, “Approaches for device-independent content delivery to mobile devices,” in Wirtschaftsinformatik 2005, eEconomy, eGovernment, eSociety, O. K. Ferstl, E. J. Sinz, S. Eckert, and T. Isselhorst, Eds., Physica, Heidelberg, Germany, 2005.
- B. Shen, W. T. Tan, and F. Huve, “Dynamic video transcoding in mobile environments,” IEEE Multimedia, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 42–51, 2008.
- Wide Web Consortium World, Composite Capability and Preference Profile, http://www.w3.org/Mobile/CCPP/.
- WAP Forum, User Agent Profile, http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical/SPEC-UAProf-19991110.pdf.
- J. Müller, T. Lenhart, D. Henrici, M. Hillenbrand, and P. Müller, “Developing web applications for mobile devices,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Distributed Frameworks for Multimedia Applications (DFMA '05), pp. 346–350, February 2005.
- Locktime Software, 2008, http://www.netlimiter.com/.
- H. Inamura, G. Montenegro, R. Ludwig, A. Gurtov, and F. Khafizov, “TCP over second (2.5G) and third (3G) generation wireless networks,” The Internet Society RFC3481, 2003.