- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Drug Delivery
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 138929, 9 pages
Drug Nanoparticle Formulation Using Ascorbic Acid Derivatives
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, 1-8-1, Inohana, Chuo-ku, Chiba 260-8675, Japan
Received 14 September 2010; Revised 26 November 2010; Accepted 17 February 2011
Academic Editor: A. Fadda
Copyright © 2011 Kunikazu Moribe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. LoNostro, G. Capuzzi, P. Pinelli, N. Mulinacci, A. Romani, and F. F. Vincieri, “Self-assembling and antioxidant activity of some vitamin C derivatives,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 167, no. 1-2, pp. 83–93, 2000.
- Z. L. Liu, “Antioxidant activity of vitamin E and vitamin C derivatives in membrane mimetic systems,” in Bioradicals Detected by ESR Spectroscopy, H. Ohya-Nishiguchi and L. Packer, Eds., Birkhäuser, Basel, Switzerland, 1995.
- J. Takebayashi, A. Tai, E. Gohda, and I. Yamamoto, “Characterization of the radical-scavenging reaction of 2-O-substituted ascorbic acid derivatives, AA-2G, AA-2P, and AA-2S: A kinetic and stoichiometric study,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 766–771, 2006.
- A. Fočo, M. Gašperlin, and J. Kristl, “Investigation of liposomes as carriers of sodium ascorbyl phosphate for cutaneous photoprotection,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 291, no. 1-2, pp. 21–29, 2005.
- J. M. Llabot, S. D. Palma, R. H. Manzo, and D. A. Allemandi, “Design of novel antifungal mucoadhesive films. Part I. Pre-formulation studies,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 330, no. 1-2, pp. 54–60, 2007.
- D. V. Ratnam, D. D. Ankola, V. Bhardwaj, D. K. Sahana, and M. N. V. R. Kumar, “Role of antioxidants in prophylaxis and therapy: a pharmaceutical perspective,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 113, no. 3, pp. 189–207, 2006.
- S. K. Karmee, “Biocatalytic synthesis of ascorbyl esters and their biotechnological applications,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 1013–1022, 2009.
- I. Yamamoto, N. Muto, E. Nagata, T. Nakamura, and Y. Suzuki, “Formation of stable L-ascorbic acid α-glucoside by mammalian α-glucosidase-catalyzed transglucosylation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1035, no. 1, pp. 44–50, 1990.
- H. Matsukawa, T. Yagi, H. Matsuda et al., “Ascorbic acid 2-glucoside prevents sinusoidal endothelial cell apoptosis in supercooled preserved grafts in rat liver transplantation,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 313–317, 2000.
- I. Yamamoto, A. Tai, Y. Fujinami, K. Sasaki, and S. Okazaki, “Synthesis and characterization of a series of novel monoacylated ascorbic acid derivatives, 6-O-acyl-2-O-α-D-glucopyranosyl-l-ascorbic acids, as skin antioxidants,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 462–468, 2002.
- Y. Inoue, S. Yoshimura, Y. Tozuka et al., “Application of ascorbic acid 2-glucoside as a solubilizing agent for clarithromycin: solubilization and nanoparticle formation,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 331, no. 1, pp. 38–45, 2007.
- S. Palma, R. Manzo, P. Lo Nostro, and D. Allemandi, “Nanostructures from alkyl vitamin C derivatives (ASCn): properties and potential platform for drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 345, no. 1-2, pp. 26–34, 2007.
- P. Špiclin, M. Gašperlin, and V. Kmetec, “Stability of ascorbyl palmitate in topical microemulsions,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 222, no. 2, pp. 271–279, 2001.
- J. Kristl, B. Volk, M. Gašperlin, M. Šentjurc, and P. Jurkovič, “Effect of colloidal carriers on ascorbyl palmitate stability,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 181–189, 2003.
- M. Üner, S. A. Wissing, G. Yener, and R. H. Müller, “Solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) and nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) for application of ascorbyl palmitate,” Pharmazie, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 577–582, 2005.
- S. Palma, R. H. Manzo, D. Allemandi, L. Fratoni, and P. L. Nostro, “Solubilization of hydrophobic drugs in octanoyl-6-O-ascorbic acid micellar dispersions,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 1810–1816, 2002.
- V. Teeranachaideekul, E. Souto, R. Müller, and V. B. Junyaprasert, “Physicochemical characterization and in vitro release studies of ascorbyl palmitate-loaded semi-solid nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC gels),” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 111–120, 2008.
- V. Teeranachaideekul, R. H. Müller, and V. B. Junyaprasert, “Encapsulation of ascorbyl palmitate in nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC)-Effects of formulation parameters on physicochemical stability,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 340, no. 1-2, pp. 198–206, 2007.
- M. Wittayasuporn, S. Rengpipat, T. Palaga, P. Asawanonda, N. Anumansirikul, and S. P. Wanichwecharungruang, “Chitosan derivative nanocarrier: safety evaluation, antibacterial property and ascorbyl palmitate encapsulation,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 218–225, 2010.
- R. Yoksan, J. Jirawutthiwongchai, and K. Arpo, “Encapsulation of ascorbyl palmitate in chitosan nanoparticles by oil-in-water emulsion and ionic gelation processes,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 292–297, 2010.
- M. Üner, S. A. Wissing, G. Yener, and R. H. Müller, “Skin moisturizing effect and skin penetration of ascorbyl palmitate entrapped in Solid Lipid Nanoparticles (SLN) and Nanostructured Lipid Carriers (NLC) incorporated into hydrogel,” Pharmazie, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 751–755, 2005.
- A. Tangsumranjit, Y. Pellequer, H. Lboutounne, Y. C. Guillaume, A. Lamprecht, and J. Millet, “Enhanced ascorbyl palmitate stability by polymeric nanoparticles,” Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 161–163, 2006.
- V. Teeranachaideekul, V. B. Junyaprasert, E. B. Souto, and R. H. Müller, “Development of ascorbyl palmitate nanocrystals applying the nanosuspension technology,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 354, no. 1-2, pp. 227–234, 2008.
- S. Lee, J. Lee, and Y. W. Choi, “Skin permeation enhancement of ascorbyl palmitate by liposomal hydrogel (Lipogel) formulation and electrical assistance,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 393–396, 2007.
- G. G. M. D'Souza, T. Wang, K. Rockwell, and V. P. Torchilin, “Surface modification of pharmaceutical nanocarriers with ascorbate residues improves their tumor-cell association and killing and the cytotoxic action of encapsulated paclitaxel in vitro,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2567–2572, 2008.
- R. R. Sawant, O. Vaze, G. G.M. D'Souza, K. Rockwell, and V. P. Torchilin, “Palmitoyl ascorbate-loaded polymeric micelles: cancer cell targeting and cytotoxicity,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 301–308, 2011.
- L. Frungillo, D. Martins, S. Teixeira, M. C. Anazetti, P. D. S. Melo, and N. Durán, “Targeted antitumoral dehydrocrotonin nanoparticles with L-ascorbic acid 6-stearate,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 98, no. 12, pp. 4796–4807, 2009.
- D. Gopinath, D. Ravi, B. R. Rao, S. S. Apte, D. Renuka, and D. Rambhau, “Ascorbyl palmitate vesicles (Aspasomes): formation, characterization and applications,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 271, no. 1-2, pp. 95–113, 2004.
- M. H. Lien, B. C. Huang, and M. C. Hsu, “Determination of ascorbyl dipalmitate in cosmetic whitening powders by liquid chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography, vol. 645, no. 2, pp. 362–365, 1993.
- H. Tanaka and R. Yamamoto, “Pharmaceutical studies on ascorbic acid derivatives. I. Syntheses of esters of ascorbic acid and their physicochemical properties,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 376–383, 1966.
- K. Moribe, S. Maruyama, Y. Inoue et al., “Ascorbyl dipalmitate/PEG-lipid nanoparticles as a novel carrier for hydrophobic drugs,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 387, no. 1-2, pp. 236–243, 2010.
- K. Moribe, E. Tanaka, K. Maruyama, and M. Iwatsuru, “Enhanced encapsulation of amphotericin B into liposomes by complex formation with polyethylene glycol derivatives,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1737–1742, 1998.
- K. Itoh, Y. Tozuka, T. Oguchi, and K. Yamamoto, “Improvement of physicochemical properties of N-4472. Part III. VC/N-4472 complex formation and self-association in aqueous solution,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 40–45, 2003.