- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Drug Delivery
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 203676, 7 pages
Cell Uptake and Validation of Novel PECs for Biomedical Applications
1NNL, Institute of Nanoscience CNR, Street Arnesano, 73100 Lecce, Italy
2Scuola Superiore ISUFI, University of Salento, Street Arnesano, 73100 Lecce, Italy
3Hematology and Clinical Proteomics Unit, “Vito Fazzi” Hospital, University of Salento, Square Muratore, 73100 Lecce, Italy
4Dipartimento Ingegneria dell'Innovazione, University of Salento, Street Monteroni, 73100 Lecce, Italy
5Center of Biomolecular Nanotechnologies (CNB) of Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Street Barsanti, 73010 Arnesano (Le), Italy
Received 8 April 2011; Revised 28 June 2011; Accepted 30 June 2011
Academic Editor: Philippe Maincent
Copyright © 2011 Ilaria E. Palamà et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Jenkins, Biomedical Polymers, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- T. M. Allen and P. R. Cullis, “Drug delivery systems: entering the mainstream,” Science, vol. 303, no. 5665, pp. 1818–1822, 2004.
- G. A. Hughes, “Nanostructure-mediated drug delivery,” Nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 22–30, 2005.
- J. Panyam and V. Labhasetwar, “Biodegradable nanoparticles for drug and gene delivery to cells and tissue,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 329–347, 2003.
- R. Kircheis, L. Wightman, and E. Wagner, “Design and gene delivery activity of modified polyethylenimines,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 341–358, 2001.
- C. E. Thomas, A. Ehrhardt, and M. A. Kay, “Progress and problems with the use of viral vectors for gene therapy,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 346–358, 2003.
- I. E. Palamà, S. Leporatti, E. De Luca, et al., “Imatinib-loaded polyelectrolyte microcapsules for sustained targeting of BCR-ABL+ leukemia stem cells,” Nanomedicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 419–431, 2010.
- B. G. De Geest, R. E. Vandenbroucke, A. M. Guenther, et al., “Intracellularly degradable polyelectrolyte microcapsules,” Advanced Materials, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 1005–1009, 2006.
- S. De Koker, B. G. De Geest, C. Cuvelier, et al., “In vivo cellular uptake, degradation, and biocompatibility of polyelectrolyte microcapsules,” Advanced Functional Materials, vol. 17, no. 18, pp. 3754–3763, 2007.
- I. E. Palamà, A. M. L. Coluccia, A. D. Torre, et al., “Multilayered polyelectrolyte capsules and coated colloids: cytotoxicity and uptake by cancer cells,” Science of Advanced Materials, vol. 2, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- H. Ai, J. J. Pink, X. Shuai, D. A. Boothman, and J. Gao, “Interactions between self-assembled polyelectrolyte shells and tumor cells,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Part A, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 303–312, 2005.
- C. Wang, C. He, Z. Tong, X. Liu, B. Ren, and F. Zeng, “Combination of adsorption by porous CaCO3 microparticles and encapsulation by polyelectrolyte multilayer films for sustained drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 308, no. 1-2, pp. 160–167, 2006.
- M. Harada-Shiba, K. Yamauchi, A. Harada, I. Takamisawa, K. Shimokado, and K. Kataoka, “Polyion complex micelles as vectors in gene therapy—pharmacokinetics and in vivo gene transfer,” Gene Therapy, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 407–414, 2002.
- S. Vinogradov, E. Batrakova, S. Li, and A. Kabanov, “Polyion complex micelles with protein-modified corona for receptor-mediated delivery of oligonucleotides into cells,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 851–860, 1999.
- H. Cheng, Y. Y. Li, X. Zeng, Y. X. Sun, X. Z. Zhang, and R. X. Zhuo, “Protamine sulfate/poly(L-aspartic acid) polyionic complexes self-assembled via electrostatic attractions for combined delivery of drug and gene,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1246–1253, 2009.
- S. Lankalapalli and V. R. M. Kolapalli, “Polyelectrolyte complexes: a review of their applicability in drug delivery technology,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 481–487, 2009.
- S. L. Lewis, M. M. Heitkemper, S. R. Dirksen, P. G. O'Brien, and L. Bucher, Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 7th edition, 2008.
- N. Nafee, M. Schneider, U. F. Schaefer, and C. M. Lehr, “Relevance of the colloidal stability of chitosan/PLGA nanoparticles on their cytotoxicity profile,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 381, no. 2, pp. 130–139, 2009.
- N. Kong, T. Jiang, Z. Zhou, and J. Fu, “Cytotoxicity of polymerized resin cements on human dental pulp cells in vitro,” Dental Materials, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 1371–1375, 2009.
- F. Unger, M. Wittmar, and T. Kissel, “Branched polyesters based on poly[vinyl-3-(dialkylamino)alkylcarbamate-co-vinyl acetate-co-vinyl alcohol]-graft-poly(d,l-lactide-co-glycolide): effects of polymer structure on cytotoxicity,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 1610–1619, 2007.