- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Drug Delivery
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 376548, 10 pages
Modeling the Release Kinetics of Poorly Water-Soluble Drug Molecules from Liposomal Nanocarriers
1Department of Physics, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58108-6050, USA
2Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Lessingstraße 8, 07743 Jena, Germany
Received 22 December 2010; Accepted 22 March 2011
Academic Editor: Volkmar Weissig
Copyright © 2011 Stephan Loew et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Lipinski, “Drug-like properties and the causes of poor solubility and poor permeability,” Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 235–249, 2000.
- A. Fahr, P. Van Hoogevest, J. Kuntsche, and M. L. S. Leigh, “Lipophilic drug transfer between liposomal and biological membranes: what does it mean for parenteral and oral drug delivery?” Journal of Liposome Research, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 281–301, 2006.
- A. Fahr and X. Liu, “Drug delivery strategies for poorly water-soluble drugs,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 403–416, 2007.
- G. Poste and D. Papahadjopoulos, “Lipid vesicles as carriers for introducing materials into cultured cells—influence of vesicle lipid composition on mechanism(s) of vesicle incorporation into cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 1603–1607, 1976.
- A. Sharma and U. S. Sharma, “Liposomes in drug delivery: progress and limitations,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 123–140, 1997.
- M. L. Immordino, F. Dosio, and L. Cattel, “Stealth liposomes: review of the basic science, rationale, and clinical applications, existing and potential,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 297–315, 2006.
- P. Sapra and T. M. Allen, “Ligand-targeted liposomal anticancer drugs,” Progress in Lipid Research, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 439–462, 2003.
- R. R. Sawant and V. P. Torchilin, “Liposomes as ‘smart’ pharmaceutical nanocarriers,” Soft Matter, vol. 6, no. 17, pp. 4026–4044, 2010.
- A. Rogerson, J. Cummings, and A. T. Florence, “Adriamycin-loaded niosomes: drug entrapment, stability and release,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 321–328, 1987.
- R. Margalit, R. Alon, M. Linenberg, I. Rubin, T. J. Roseman, and R. W. Wood, “Liposomal drug delivery—thermodynamic and chemical kinetic considerations,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 285–296, 1991.
- P. Saarinen-Savolainen, T. Järvinen, H. Taipale, and A. Urtti, “Method for evaluating drug release from liposomes in sink conditions,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 1997.
- A. R. Mohammed, N. Weston, A. G. A. Coombes, M. Fitzgerald, and Y. Perrie, “Liposome formulation of poorly water soluble drugs: optimisation of drug loading and ESEM analysis of stability,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 285, no. 1-2, pp. 23–34, 2004.
- H. Hefeshaa, S. Loew, X. Liu, S. May, and A. Fahr, “Transfer mechanism of temoporfin between liposomal membranes,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 279–286, 2011.
- J. D. Jones and T. E. Thompson, “Spontaneous phosphatidylcholine transfer by collision between vesicles at high lipid concentration,” Biochemistry, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 129–134, 1989.
- T. L. Steck, F. J. Kezdy, and Y. Lange, “An activation-collision mechanism for cholesterol transfer between membranes,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 263, no. 26, pp. 13023–13031, 1988.
- M. G. Wootan, “Mechanism of fluorescent fatty acid transfer from adipocyte fatty acid binding protein to membranes,” Biochemistry, vol. 32, no. 33, pp. 8622–8627, 1993.
- L. R. McLean and M. C. Phillips, “Mechanism of cholesterol and phosphatidylcholine exchange or transfer between unilamellar vesicles,” Biochemistry, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 2893–2900, 1981.
- E. Yang and W. H. Huestis, “Mechanism of intermembrane phosphatidylcholine transfer—effects of pH and membrane configuration,” Biochemistry, vol. 32, no. 45, pp. 12218–12228, 1993.
- D. E. Decker, S. M. Vroegop, T. G. Goodman, T. Peterson, and S. E. Buxser, “Kinetics and thermodynamics of emulsion delivery of lipophilic antioxidants to cells in culture,” Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 7–25, 1995.
- S. Sasnouski, D. Kachatkou, V. Zorin, F. Guillemin, and L. Bezdetnaya, “Redistribution of Foscan (R) from plasma proteins to model membranes,” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 770–777, 2006.
- V. P. Torchilin, “Micellar nanocarriers: pharmaceutical perspectives,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2007.
- B. Mishra, B. B. Patel, and S. Tiwari, “Colloidal nanocarriers: a review on formulation technology, types and applications toward targeted drug delivery,” Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. e9–e24, 2010.
- Z. Cai, Y. Wang, L. J. Zhu, and Z. Q. Liu, “Nanocarriers: a general strategy for enhancement of oral bioavailability of poorly absorbed or pre-systemically metabolized drugs,” Current Drug Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 197–207, 2010.
- F. Ricchelli, S. Gobbo, G. Moreno, C. Salet, L. Brancaleon, and A. Mazzini, “Photophysical properties of porphyrin planar aggregates in liposomes,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 253, no. 3, pp. 760–765, 1998.
- B. West, F. L. H. Brown, and F. Schmid, “Membrane-protein interactions in a generic coarse-grained model for lipid bilayers,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 101–115, 2009.
- K. S. Kim, J. C. Neu, and G. F. Oster, “Many-body forces between membrane inclusions: a new pattern-formation mechanism,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 99–105, 1999.
- K. Bohinc, V. Kralj-Iglič, and S. May, “Interaction between two cylindrical inclusions in a symmetric lipid bilayer,” Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 119, no. 14, pp. 7435–7444, 2003.
- M. Goulian, R. Bruinsma, and P. Pincus, “Long-range forces in heterogeneous fluid membranes,” Europhys Letters, vol. 22, pp. 145–150, 1993.
- F. N. R. Petersen, M. Ø. Jensen, and C. H. Nielsen, “Interfacial tryptophan residues: a role for the cation-π effect?” Biophysical Journal, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 3985–3996, 2005.
- K. E. Norman and H. Nymeyer, “Indole localization in lipid membranes revealed by molecular simulation,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 91, no. 6, pp. 2046–2054, 2006.
- A. Doisy, J. E. Proust, TZ. Ivanova, I. Panaiotov, and J. L. Dubois, “Phospholipid/drug interactions in liposomes studied by rheological properties of monolayers,” Langmuir, vol. 12, no. 25, pp. 6098–6103, 1996.
- C. Bombelli, G. Caracciolo, P. Di Profio, et al., “Inclusion of a photosensitizer in liposomes formed by DMPC/gemini surfactant: correlation between physicochemical and biological features of the complexes,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 15, pp. 4882–4891, 2005.
- D. Sengupta, J. C. Smith, and G. M. Ullmann, “Partitioning of amino-acid analogues in a five-slab membrane model,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 10, pp. 2234–2243, 2008.
- G. Camenisch, G. Folkers, and H. Van De Waterbeemd, “Shapes of membrane permeability-lipophilicity curves: extension of theoretical models with an aqueous pore pathway,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 321–329, 1998.
- S. Balaz, “Lipophilicity in trans-bilayer transport and subcellular pharmacokinetics,” Perspectives in Drug Discovery and Design, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 157–177, 2000.
- M. Grassi, G. Grassi, R. Lapasin, and I. Colombo, Understanding Drug Release and Absorption Mechanisms: A Physical and Mathematical Approach, CRC Press, 2006.
- L. Thilo, “Kinetics of phospholipid exchange between bilayer membranes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 469, no. 3, pp. 326–334, 1977.
- P. F. F. Almeida, “Lipid transfer between vesicles: effect of high vesicle concentration,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 76, no. 4, pp. 1922–1928, 1999.
- N. Liu and H. J. Park, “Factors effect on the loading efficiency of vitamin C loaded chitosan-coated nanoliposomes,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 16–19, 2010.
- S. Schreier, S. V. P. Malheiros, and E. De Paula, “Surface active drugs: self-association and interaction with membranes and surfactants. physicochemical and biological aspects,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1508, no. 1-2, pp. 210–234, 2000.
- J. D. Jones, P. F. Almeida, and T. E. Thompson, “Spontaneous interbilayer transfer of hexosylceramides between phospholipid bilayers,” Biochemistry, vol. 29, no. 16, pp. 3892–3897, 1990.
- J. Liu, H. Lee, M. Huesca, A. Young, and C. Allen, “Liposome formulation of a novel hydrophobic aryl-imidazole compound for anti-cancer therapy,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 306–318, 2006.