- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Drug Delivery
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 291219, 7 pages
Triggered Rapid Degradation of Nanoparticles for Gene Delivery
1Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, MC 0600 La Jolla, CA 92093-0657, USA
2Materials Science and Engineering Program, University of California at San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, MC 0600 La Jolla, CA 92093-0657, USA
Received 22 February 2012; Revised 1 May 2012; Accepted 4 May 2012
Academic Editor: Juan M. Irache
Copyright © 2012 José M. Morachis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. S. Ghosh, P. Gopinath, and A. Ramesh, “Adenoviral vectors: a promising tool for gene therapy,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 133, no. 1, pp. 9–29, 2006.
- S. D. Li and L. Huang, “Gene therapy progress and prospects: non-viral gene therapy by systemic delivery,” Gene Therapy, vol. 13, no. 18, pp. 1313–1319, 2006.
- E. Dormond, M. Perrier, and A. Kamen, “From the first to the third generation adenoviral vector: what parameters are governing the production yield?” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 133–144, 2009.
- M. S. Lee, Y. L. Jang, D. P. Huynh et al., “pH-sensitive pentablock copolymer nanocapsules as nontoxic and efficient gene carriers,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 789–796, 2011.
- J. A. Cohen, T. T. Beaudette, J. L. Cohen, K. E. Broaders, E. M. Bachelder, and J. M. J. Fréchet, “Acetal-modified dextran microparticles with controlled degradation kinetics and surface functionality for gene delivery in phagocytic and non-phagocytic cells,” Advanced Materials, vol. 22, no. 32, pp. 3593–3597, 2010.
- V. Knorr, V. Russ, L. Allmendinger, M. Ogris, and E. Wagner, “Acetal linked oligoethylenimines for use as pH-sensitive gene carriers,” Bioconjugate Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 1625–1634, 2008.
- Z. Liu, M. Zheng, F. Meng, and Z. Zhong, “Non-viral gene transfection in vitro using endosomal pH-sensitive reversibly hydrophobilized polyethylenimine,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 34, pp. 9109–9119, 2011.
- J. Guy, D. Drabek, and M. Antoniou, “Delivery of DNA into mammalian cells by receptor-mediated endocytosis and gene therapy,” Molecular Biotechnology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 237–248, 1995.
- P. S. Tietz, K. Yamazaki, and N. F. LaRusso, “Time-dependent effects of chloroquine on pH of hepatocyte lysosomes,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1419–1421, 1990.
- M. Sandor, S. Mehta, J. Harris et al., “Transfection of HEK cells via DNA-loaded PLGA and P(FASA) nanospheres,” Journal of Drug Targeting, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 497–506, 2002.
- E. Wagner, M. Ogris, and W. Zauner, “Polylysine-based transfection systems utilizing receptor-mediated delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 30, no. 1–3, pp. 97–113, 1998.
- O. Boussif, F. Lezoualc'h, M. A. Zanta et al., “A versatile vector for gene and oligonucleotide transfer into cells in culture and in vivo: polyethylenimine,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 16, pp. 7297–7301, 1995.
- U. Lungwitz, M. Breunig, T. Blunk, and A. Göpferich, “Polyethylenimine-based non-viral gene delivery systems,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 247–266, 2005.
- N. Saranya, A. Moorthi, S. Saravanan, M. P. Devi, and N. Selvamurugan, “Chitosan and its derivatives for gene delivery,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 234–238, 2011.
- R. Jayakumar, K. P. Chennazhi, R. A. A. Muzzarelli, H. Tamura, S. V. Nair, and N. Selvamurugan, “Chitosan conjugated DNA nanoparticles in gene therapy,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- H. L. Jiang, T. H. Kim, Y. K. Kim, I. Y. Park, M. H. Cho, and C. S. Cho, “Efficient gene delivery using chitosan-polyethylenimine hybrid systems,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 3, no. 2, p. 25013, 2008.
- J. M. Lü, X. Wang, C. Marin-Muller et al., “Current advances in research and clinical applications of PLGA-based nanotechnology,” Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 325–341, 2009.
- D. N. Nguyen, J. J. Green, J. M. Chan, R. Langer, and D. G. Anderson, “Polymeric materials for gene delivery and DNA vaccination,” Advanced Materials, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 847–867, 2009.
- S. A. Galindo-Rodríguez, E. Allémann, H. Fessi, and E. Doelker, “Polymeric nanoparticles for oral delivery of drugs and vaccines: a critical evaluation of in vivo studies,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 419–463, 2005.
- M. N. V. R. Kumar, S. S. Mohapatra, X. Kong, P. K. Jena, U. Bakowsky, and C. M. Lehr, “Cationic poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles as efficient in vivo gene transfection agents,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 8, pp. 990–994, 2004.
- J. Sankaranarayanan, E. A. Mahmoud, G. Kim, J. M. Morachis, and A. Almutairi, “Multiresponse strategies to modulate burst degradation and release from nanoparticles,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 5930–5936, 2010.
- I. K. Park, K. Singha, R. B. Arote, Y. J. Choi, W. J. Kim, and C. S. Cho, “PH-responsive polymers as gene carriers,” Macromolecular Rapid Communications, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 1122–1133, 2010.
- F. V. Burkersroda and A. M. Goepferich, “An approach to classify degradable polymers,” Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, vol. 550, pp. 17–22, 1999.
- G. Dalwadi, H. A. E. Benson, and Y. Chen, “Comparison of diafiltration and tangential flow filtration for purification of nanoparticle suspensions,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 2152–2162, 2005.
- S. K. Sahoo, J. Panyam, S. Prabha, and V. Labhasetwar, “Residual polyvinyl alcohol associated with poly (D,L-lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles affects their physical properties and cellular uptake,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 105–114, 2002.
- J. O. You and D. T. Auguste, “The effect of swelling and cationic character on gene transfection by pH-sensitive nanocarriers,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 26, pp. 6859–6866, 2010.
- K. A. Woodrow, Y. Cu, C. J. Booth, J. K. Saucier-Sawyer, M. J. Wood, and W. Mark Saltzman, “Intravaginal gene silencing using biodegradable polymer nanoparticles densely loaded with small-interfering RNA,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 526–533, 2009.