- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Drug Delivery
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 842785, 11 pages
Active Targeting to Osteosarcoma Cells and Apoptotic Cell Death Induction by the Novel Lectin Eucheuma serra Agglutinin Isolated from a Marine Red Alga
1Division of Chemical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama-cho, Toyonaka 560-8531, Osaka, Japan
2Department of Materials, ETH, Wolfgang-Pauli-Straße 10, 8093 Zürich, Switzerland
3Department of Pathogenomics, Graduate School of Medicine, Ehime University, Shitsukawa, Toon 791-0295, Ehime, Japan
4Department of Bone and Joint Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Ehime University, Shitsukawa, Toon 791-0295, Ehime, Japan
5Integrated Center for Science Shigenobu Station, Ehime University, Shitsukawa, Toon 791-0295, Ehime, Japan
6Department of Materials Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Ehime University, 3 Bunkyo-cho, Matsuyama 790-8577, Ehime, Japan
Received 30 September 2012; Accepted 21 November 2012
Academic Editor: Andreas G. Tzakos
Copyright © 2012 Keita Hayashi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Friedman and S. K. Carter, “The therapy of osteogenic sarcoma: current status and thoughts for the future,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 482–510, 1972.
- M. P. Link, A. M. Goorin, M. Horowitz et al., “Adjuvant chemotherapy of high-grade osteosarcoma of the extremity: updated results of the Multi-Institutional Osteosarcoma Study,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 270, pp. 8–14, 1991.
- A. Kawakubo, H. Makino, J. I. Ohnishi, H. Hirohara, and K. Hori, “The marine red alga Eucheuma serra J. Agardh, a high yielding source of two isolectins,” Journal of Applied Phycology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 331–338, 1997.
- T. Sugahara, Y. Ohama, A. Fukuda, M. Hayashi, A. Kawakubo, and K. Kato, “The cytotoxic effect of Eucheuma serra agglutinin (ESA) on cancer cells and its application to molecular probe for drug delivery system using lipid vesicles,” Cytotechnology, vol. 36, no. 1–3, pp. 93–99, 2001.
- K. Hori, Y. Sato, K. Ito et al., “Strict specificity for high-mannose type N-glycans and primary structure of a red alga Eucheuma serra lectin,” Glycobiology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 479–491, 2007.
- Y. Omokawa, T. Miyazaki, P. Walde et al., “In vitro and in vivo anti-tumor effects of novel Span 80 vesicles containing immobilized Eucheuma serra agglutinin,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 389, no. 1-2, pp. 157–167, 2010.
- Q. Yan, Y. Li, Z. Jiang, Y. Sun, L. Zhu, and Z. Ding, “Antiproliferation and apoptosis of human tumor cell lines by a lectin (AMML) of Astragalus mongholicus,” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 6-7, pp. 586–593, 2009.
- B. Liu, H. J. Bian, and J. K. Bao, “Plant lectins: potential antineoplastic drugs from bench to clinic,” Cancer Letters, vol. 287, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2010.
- V. Kumar, A. K. Abbas, N. Fausto, and R. N. Mitchell, Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, ELSEVIER, The Nederlands, 8th edition, 2009.
- R. A. Weinberg, “The retinoblastoma protein and cell cycle control,” Cell, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 323–330, 1995.
- J. J. Stastny and T. K. Das Gupta, “Isolation and analysis of lectin-reactive sarcoma-associated membrane glycoproteins,” Anticancer Research, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 587–591, 1994.
- J. P. Thiery and J. P. Sleeman, “Complex networks orchestrate epithelial-mesenchymal transitions,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 131–142, 2006.
- J. P. Their, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transitions in tumor progression,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 442–454, 2002.
- K. Kato, P. Walde, N. Koine, Y. Imai, K. Akiyama, and T. Sugahara, “Molecular composition of nonionic vesicles prepared from span 80 or span 85 by a two-step emulsification method,” Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 1217–1222, 2006.
- K. Kato, T. Ikeda, and M. Shinozaki, “Lipid-membrane characteristics of large lipid-vesicles prepared by two-step emulsification technique and enzymatic -recycling in the vesicles,” Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 212–216, 1993.
- K. Kato and K. Hirata, “Water permeability through the lipid membrane of a giant vesicle prepared by a two-step emulsification technique,” Solvent Extraction Research and Development, vol. 1996, no. 3, pp. 62–73, 1996.
- K. Kato and J. Hirashita, “Preparation and function of a hybrid-type vesicle modified by Concanavalin A for a DDS directed toward a cancer therapy,” in Biochemical Engineering Marching Toward the Century of Biotechnology, Z. Y. Shen, F. Ouyang, J. T. Yu, and Z. A. Cao, Eds., pp. 592–596, Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, China, 1997.
- K. Kato, P. Walde, H. Mitsui, and N. Higashi, “Enzymatic activity and stability of D-fructose dehydrogenase and sarcosine dehydrogenase immobilized onto giant vesicles,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 415–423, 2003.
- K. Kato, P. Walde, N. Koine et al., “Temperature-sensitive nonionic vesicles prepared from Span 80 (sorbitan monooleate),” Langmuir, vol. 24, no. 19, pp. 10762–10770, 2008.
- T. Sugahara, S. Kawashima, A. Oda, Y. Hisaeda, and K. Kato, “Preparation of cationic immunovesicles containing cationic peptide lipid for specific drug delivery to target cells,” Cytotechnology, vol. 47, no. 1–3, pp. 51–57, 2005.
- Y. Ohama, Y. Heiki, T. Sugahara et al., “Gene transfection into HeLa cells by vesicles containing cationic peptide lipid,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 1453–1458, 2005.
- Y. Fukuda, T. Sugahara, M. Ueno et al., “The anti-tumor effect of Euchema serra agglutinin on colon cancer cells in vitro and in vivo,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 943–947, 2006.
- K. Inoue, T. Yamakawa, and S. Nojima, Seikagaku Jikken Kouza, vol. 3, Shishitsu no Kagaku, Tokyo Kagaku Dojin, Japan, 1974.
- C. Souchier, M. Ffrench, M. Benchaib, R. Catallo, and P. A. Bryon, “Methods for cell proliferation analysis by fluorescent image cytometry,” Cytometry, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 203–209, 1995.
- M. O'Brien and W. E. Bolton, “Comparison of cell viability probes compatible with fixation and permeabilization for combined surface and intracellular staining in flow cytometry,” Cytometry, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 243–255, 1995.
- M. van Engeland, L. J. Nieland, F. C. Ramaekers, B. Schutte, and C. P. Reutelingsperger, “Annexin V-affinity assay: a review on an apoptosis detection system based on phosphatidylserine exposure,” Cytometry, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1998.
- Y. J. Kim and A. Varki, “Perspectives on the significance of altered glycosylation of glycoproteins in cancer,” Glycoconjugate Journal, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 569–576, 1997.
- E. Gorelik, U. Galili, and A. Raz, “On the role of cell surface carbohydrates and their binding proteins (lectins) in tumor metastasis,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 245–277, 2001.
- M. O. Hengartner, “The biochemistry of apoptosis,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6805, pp. 770–776, 2000.
- K. Hayashi, T. Shimanouchi, K. Kato, T. Miyazaki, A. Nakamura, and H. Umakoshi, “Span 80 vesicles have a more fluid, flexible and “wet” surface than phospholipid liposomes,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 28–35, 2011.