- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Drug Delivery
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 562727, 15 pages
Development of Dorzolamide Loaded 6-O-Carboxymethyl Chitosan Nanoparticles for Open Angle Glaucoma
Department of Pharmaceutics, Bombay College of Pharmacy, Kalina, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400098, India
Received 16 May 2013; Accepted 21 August 2013
Academic Editor: Philippe Maincent
Copyright © 2013 Ujwala Shinde et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Soltau and T. J. Zimmerman, “Changing paradigms in the medical treatment of glaucoma,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. S2–S5, 2002.
- N. Pfeiffer, “Dorzolamide: development and clinical application of a topical carbonic anhydrase inhibitor,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 137–151, 1997.
- M. F. Sugrue, “The preclinical pharmacology of dorzolamide hydrochloride, a topical carbonic anhydrase inhibitor,” Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 363–376, 1996.
- N. Li, C. Zhuang, M. Wang, X. Sun, S. Nie, and W. Pan, “Liposome coated with low molecular weight chitosan and its potential use in ocular drug delivery,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 379, no. 1-2, pp. 131–138, 2009.
- U. A. Shinde, S. Jaykumar, N. Hema, and S. Kavita, “Eudragit RL 100 based microspheres for ocular administration of azelastine hydrochloride,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 511–519, 2012.
- Y. Ali and K. Lehmussaari, “Industrial perspective in ocular drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1258–1268, 2006.
- C. Bucolo, A. Maltese, and F. Drago, “When nanotechnology meets the ocular surface,” Expert Review of Ophthalmology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 325–332, 2008.
- M. Hamidi, A. Azadi, and P. Rafiei, “Hydrogel nanoparticles in drug delivery,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 15, pp. 1638–1649, 2008.
- K. Langer, E. Mutschler, G. Lambrecht et al., “Methylmethacrylate sulfopropylmethacrylate copolymer nanoparticles for drug delivery. Part III: evaluation as drug delivery system for ophthalmic applications,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 219–231, 1997.
- R. C. Nagarwal, S. Kant, P. N. Singh, P. Maiti, and J. K. Pandit, “Polymeric nanoparticulate system: a potential approach for ocular drug delivery,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 2–13, 2009.
- A. Dev, J. C. Mohan, V. Sreeja et al., “Novel carboxymethyl chitin nanoparticles for cancer drug delivery applications,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1073–1079, 2010.
- R. Jayakumar, M. Prabaharan, S. V. Nair, S. Tokura, H. Tamura, and N. Selvamurugan, “Novel carboxymethyl derivatives of chitin and chitosan materials and their biomedical applications,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 675–709, 2010.
- A. Anitha, S. Maya, N. Deepa et al., “Efficient water soluble O-carboxymethyl chitosan nanocarrier for the delivery of curcumin to cancer cells,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 452–461, 2011.
- N. K. Patel and V. K. Sinha, “Synthesis, characterization and optimization of water-Soluble chitosan derivatives,” International Journal of Polymeric Materials, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 548–560, 2009.
- X.-G. Chen and H.-J. Park, “Chemical characteristics of O-carboxymethyl chitosans related to the preparation conditions,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 355–359, 2003.
- D. Fu, B. Han, W. Dong, Z. Yang, Y. Lv, and W. Liu, “Effects of carboxymethyl chitosan on the blood system of rats,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 408, no. 1, pp. 110–114, 2011.
- R. A. A. Muzzarelli, F. Tanfani, M. Emanuelli, D. P. Pace, E. Chiurazzi, and M. Piani, “Sulfated N-(carboxymethyl)chitosans: novel blood anticoagulants,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 225–231, 1984.
- J. Du and Y.-L. Hsieh, “Nanofibrous membranes from aqueous electrospinning of carboxymethyl chitosan,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 12, Article ID 125707, 9 pages, 2008.
- X. Shi, Y. Du, J. Yang, B. Zhang, and L. Sun, “Effect of degree of substitution and molecular weight of carboxymethyl chitosan nanoparticles on doxorubicin delivery,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 4689–4696, 2006.
- S. Papadimitriou, D. Bikiaris, K. Avgoustakis, E. Karavas, and M. Georgarakis, “Chitosan nanoparticles loaded with dorzolamide and pramipexole,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 44–54, 2008.
- E. Karavas, E. Georgarakis, and D. Bikiaris, “Application of PVP/HPMC miscible blends with enhanced mucoadhesive properties for adjusting drug release in predictable pulsatile chronotherapeutics,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 2006.
- P. He, S. S. Davis, and L. Illum, “In vitro evaluation of the mucoadhesive properties of chitosan microspheres,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 75–88, 1998.
- N. P. Luepke, “Hen's egg chorioallantoic membrane test for irritation potential,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 287–291, 1985.
- W. Steiling, M. Bracher, P. Courtellemont, and O. De Silva, “The HET-CAM, a useful in vitro assay for assessing the eye irritation properties of cosmetic formulations and ingredients,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 375–384, 1999.
- L. Krenn and D. H. Paper, “Inhibition of angiogenesis and inflammation by an extract of red clover (Trifolium pratense L.),” Phytomedicine, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1083–1088, 2009.
- H. Abdelkader, S. Ismail, A. Kamal, and R. G. Alany, “Design and evaluation of controlled-release niosomes and discomes for naltrexone hydrochloride ocular delivery,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1833–1846, 2011.
- I. P. Kaur, A. Garg, A. K. Singla, and D. Aggarwal, “Vesicular systems in ocular drug delivery: an overview,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 269, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 2004.
- H. O. Ammar, H. A. Salama, M. Ghorab, and A. A. Mahmoud, “Nanoemulsion as a potential ophthalmic delivery system for dorzolamide hydrochloride,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 808–819, 2009.
- J.-Y. Winum, A. Casini, F. Mincione et al., “Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors: N-(p-sulfamoylphenyl)-α-D- glycopyranosylamines as topically acting antiglaucoma agents in hypertensive rabbits,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 225–229, 2004.
- X. Fei Liu, Y. Lin Guan, D. Zhi Yang, Z. Li, and K. De Yao, “Antibacterial action of chitosan and carboxymethylated chitosan,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 1324–1335, 2001.
- F. S. Kittur, K. V. H. Prashanth, K. U. Sankar, and R. N. Tharanathan, “Characterization of chitin, chitosan and their carboxymethyl derivatives by differential scanning calorimetry,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 185–193, 2002.
- L. Chen, Y. Du, and X. Zeng, “Relationships between the molecular structure and moisture-absorption and moisture-retention abilities of carboxymethyl chitosan—II. Effect of degree of deacetylation and carboxymethylation,” Carbohydrate Research, vol. 338, no. 4, pp. 333–340, 2003.
- M. Rinaudo, P. Le Dung, C. Gey, and M. Milas, “Substituent distribution on O,N-carboxymethylchitosans by 1H and 13C n.m.r,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 122–128, 1992.
- Y. Pan, Y.-J. Li, H.-Y. Zhao et al., “Bioadhesive polysaccharide in protein delivery system: chitosan nanoparticles improve the intestinal absorption of insulin in vivo,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 249, no. 1-2, pp. 139–147, 2002.
- A. Anitha, V. V. D. Rani, R. Krishna et al., “Synthesis, characterization, cytotoxicity and antibacterial studies of chitosan, O-carboxymethyl and N,O-carboxymethyl chitosan nanoparticles,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 672–677, 2009.
- K. H. Singh and U. A. Shinde, “Chitosan nanoparticles for controlled delivery of brimonidine tartrate to the ocular membrane,” Pharmazie, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 594–599, 2011.
- D.-G. Kim, Y.-I. Jeong, C. Choi et al., “Retinol-encapsulated low molecular water-soluble chitosan nanoparticles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 319, no. 1-2, pp. 130–138, 2006.
- P. Calvo, C. Remuñán-López, J. L. Vila-Jato, and M. J. Alonso, “Novel hydrophilic chitosan-polyethylene oxide nanoparticles as protein carriers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 1997.
- H. H. Sigurdsson, E. Stefánsson, E. Gudmundsdóttir, T. Eysteinsson, M. Thorsteinsdóttir, and T. Loftsson, “Cyclodextrin formulation of dorzolamide and its distribution in the eye after topical administration,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 255–262, 2005.
- K. S. Snima, R. Jayakumar, A. G. Unnikrishnan, S. V. Nair, and V.-K. Lakshmanan, “O-Carboxymethyl chitosan nanoparticles for metformin delivery to pancreatic cancer cells,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 1003–1007, 2012.
- L. Zhang, J. Guo, J. Zhou, G. Yang, and Y. Du, “Blend membranes from carboxymethylated chitosan/alginate in aqueous solution,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 610–616, 2000.
- M. R. Jimenez-Castellanos, H. Zia, and C. T. Rhodes, “Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 19, no. 1-2, pp. 143–194, 1993.
- A. Ahuja, R. K. Khar, and J. Ali, “Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 489–515, 1997.
- B. Petit, K. Bouchemal, C. Vauthier, M. Djabourov, and G. Ponchel, “The counterbalanced effect of size and surface properties of chitosan-coated poly(isobutylcyanoacrylate) nanoparticles on mucoadhesion due to pluronic F68 addition,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 943–952, 2012.
- K. H. Singh and U. A. Shinde, “Development and evaluation of novel polymeric nanoparticles of brimonidine tartrate,” Current Drug Delivery, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 244–251, 2010.