- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 201295, 5 pages
Efficient Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells into Insulin-Producing Cells
Pharmacognosy Lab, Herbal Medicinal Product Technology Division, Industrial Technology Research Institute, Hsinchu 30011, Taiwan
Received 23 February 2012; Revised 22 June 2012; Accepted 5 July 2012
Academic Editor: Joseph R. Landolph Jr.
Copyright © 2012 Szu-Hsiu Liu and Lain-Tze Lee. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Evans and M. H. Kaufman, “Establishment in culture of pluripotential cells from mouse embryos,” Nature, vol. 292, no. 5819, pp. 154–156, 1981.
- J. A. Thomson, J. Itskovitz-Eldor, and S. S. Shapiro, “Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts,” Science, vol. 282, pp. 1145–1147, 1998.
- J. M. Wells and D. A. Melton, “Vertebrate endoderm development,” Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 15, pp. 393–410, 1999.
- C. C. Lu, J. Brennan, and E. J. Robertson, “From fertilization to gastrulation: axis formation in the mouse embryo,” Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 384–392, 2001.
- L. Robb and P. P. L. Tam, “Gastrula organiser and embryonic patterning in the mouse,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 543–554, 2004.
- S. Sulzbacher, I. S. Schroeder, T. T. Truong, and A. M. Wobus, “Activin a-induced differentiation of embryonic stem cells into endoderm and pancreatic progenitors-the influence of differentiation factors and culture conditions,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 159–173, 2009.
- B. W. Kahan, L. M. Jacobson, D. A. Hullett et al., “Pancreatic precursors and differentiated islet cell types from murine embryonic stem cells: an in vitro model to study islet differentiation,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 2016–2024, 2003.
- E. Roche, J. Jones, M. I. Arribas, T. Leon-Quinto, and B. Soria, “Role of small bioorganic molecules in stem cell differentiation to insulin-producing cells,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 6466–6474, 2006.
- M. Borowiak, R. Maehr, S. Chen et al., “Small molecules efficiently direct endodermal differentiation of mouse and human embryonic stem cells,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 348–358, 2009.
- S. Chen, M. Borowiak, J. L. Fox et al., “A small molecule that directs differentiation of human ESCs into the pancreatic lineage,” Nature Chemical Biology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 258–265, 2009.
- A. Kubo, K. Shinozaki, J. M. Shannon et al., “Development of definitive endoderm from embryonic stem cells in culture,” Development, vol. 131, no. 7, pp. 1651–1662, 2004.
- M. Yasunaga, S. Tada, S. Torikai-Nishikawa et al., “Induction and monitoring of definitive and visceral endoderm differentiation of mouse ES cells,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1542–1550, 2005.
- K. A. D'Amour, A. D. Agulnick, S. Eliazer, O. G. Kelly, E. Kroon, and E. E. Baetge, “Efficient differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to definitive endoderm,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1534–1541, 2005.
- T. Otonkoski, G. M. Beattie, M. I. Mally, C. Ricordi, and A. Hayek, “Nicotinamide is a potent inducer of endocrine differentiation in cultured human fetal pancreatic cells,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 1459–1466, 1993.
- P. Vaca, F. Martín, J. M. Vegara-Meseguer, J. M. Rovira, G. Berná, and B. Soria, “Induction of differentiation of embryonic stem cells into insulin-secreting cells by fetal soluble factors,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 258–265, 2006.
- Y. M. Cho, J. M. Lim, D. H. Yoo et al., “Betacellulin and nicotinamide sustain PDX1 expression and induce pancreatic β-cell differentiation in human embryonic stem cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 366, no. 1, pp. 129–134, 2008.
- N. Lumelsky, O. Blondel, P. Laeng, I. Velasco, R. Ravin, and R. McKay, “Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to insulin-secreting structures similar to pancreatic islets,” Science, vol. 292, no. 5520, pp. 1389–1394, 2001.
- T. León-Quinto, J. Jones, A. Skoudy, M. Burcin, and B. Soria, “In vitro directed differentation of mouse embryonic stem cells into insulin-producing cells,” Diabetologia, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 1442–1451, 2004.