- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 413782, 6 pages
The Influence of Type 2 Diabetes and Glucose-Lowering Therapies on Cancer Risk in the Taiwanese
1Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
2Graduate Institute of Integrated Medicine, China Medical University, Taiwan
3Department of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
4School of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
5Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No. 7 Chung-Shan South Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Received 24 February 2012; Accepted 2 April 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Ming-Chia Hsieh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [39 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Xiang-Ju Long, Shan Lin, Ya-Nan Sun, and Zhen-Feng Zheng, “Diabetes Mellitus and Prostate Cancer Risk in Asian Countries: a Meta-analysis,” Asian Pacific Journal Of Cancer Prevention, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 4097–4100, 2012.
- Shu-Yi Wang, Chieh-Sen Chuang, Chih-Hsin Muo, Shih-Te Tu, Ming-Chia Lin, Fung-Chang Sung, and Chia-Hung Kao, “Metformin and the Incidence of Cancer in Patients With Diabetes: A Nested Case-Control Study,” Diabetes Care, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. E155–E156, 2013.
- Jung-Yun Lee, Inpyo Jeon, Joo Myung Lee, Jae-Moon Yoon, and Sang Min Park, “Diabetes mellitus as an independent risk factor for lung cancer: A meta-analysis of observational studies,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 2411–2423, 2013.
- Masato Kasuga, Kohjiro Ueki, Naoko Tajima, Mitsuhiko Noda, Ken Ohashi, Hiroshi Noto, Atsushi Goto, Wataru Ogawa, Ryuichi Sakai, Shoichiro Tsugane, Nobuyuki Hamajima, Hitoshi Nakagama, Kazuo Tajima, Kohei Miyazono, and Kohzoh Imai, “Report of the JDS/JCA Joint Committee on Diabetes and Cancer,” Diabetology International, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 81–96, 2013.
- Masato Kasuga, Kohjiro Ueki, Naoko Tajima, Mitsuhiko Noda, Ken Ohashi, Hiroshi Noto, Atsushi Goto, Wataru Ogawa, Ryuichi Sakai, Shoichiro Tsugane, Nobuyuki Hamajima, Hitoshi Nakagama, Kazuo Tajima, Kohei Miyazono, and Kohzoh Imai, “Report of the Japan Diabetes Society/Japanese Cancer Association joint committee on diabetes and cancer,” Cancer Science, vol. 104, no. 7, pp. 965–976, 2013.
- Emmanuel Beck, and André J. Scheen, “Quels bénéfices antitumoraux attendre de la metformine ?,” Annales d'Endocrinologie, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 137–147, 2013.
- Hiroshi Noto, Atsushi Goto, Tetsuro Tsujimoto, Keiichiro Osame, and Mitsuhiko Noda, “Latest insights into the risk of cancer in diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes Investigation, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 225–232, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Diabetes and thyroid cancer mortality: a 12-year prospective follow-up of Taiwanese,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 595–601, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Diabetes, insulin use, smoking, and pancreatic cancer mortality in Taiwan,” Acta Diabetologica, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Rosiglitazone may reduce thyroid cancer risk in patients with type 2 diabetes,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 539–544, 2013.
- Ao Sun, Rui Liu, and Guangshan Sun, “Insulin therapy and risk of colorectal cancer: an updated meta-analysis of epidemiological studies,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Yan-bo Chen, Qi Chen, Zhong Wang, and Juan Zhou, “Insulin Therapy and Risk of Prostate Cancer: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Jin Ha Lee, and Tae Il Kim, “Type II Diabetes, Metformin Use, and Colorectal Neoplasia: Mechanisms of Action and Implications for Future Research,” Current Colorectal Cancer Reports, 2013.
- Shouji Shimoyama, “Diabetes mellitus carries a risk of gastric cancer: A meta-analysis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 19, no. 40, pp. 6902–6910, 2013.
- Hala Ahmadieh, and Sami T. Azar, “Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Oral Diabetic Medications, Insulin Therapy, and Overall Breast Cancer Risk,” ISRN Endocrinology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Ramona Crişan, Mihaela Aldea, and Gabriel Kacso, “It's time for new treatments in pancreatic cancer pathology,” Romanian Journal of Diabetes, Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 2013.
- Shu-Ping Nie, Hui Chen, Mao-Qiang Zhuang, and Ming Lu, “Anti-Diabetic Medications Do Not Influence Risk of Lung Cancer in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 15, no. 16, pp. 6863–6869, 2014.
- Sara Gandini, Matteo Puntoni, Brandy M. Heckman-Stoddard, Barbara K. Dunn, Leslie Ford, Andrea DeCensi, and Eva Szabo, “Metformin and Cancer Risk and Mortality: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis Taking into Account Biases and Confounders,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 867–885, 2014.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Metformin significantly reduces incident prostate cancer risk in Taiwanese men with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” European Journal of Cancer, 2014.
- Ming-Ju Tsai, Chih-Jen Yang, Ya-Ting Kung, Chau-Chyun Sheu, Yu-Ting Shen, Pi-Yu Chang, Ming-Shyan Huang, and Herng-Chia Chiu, “Metformin Decreases Lung Cancer Risk in Diabetic Patients in A Dose-Dependent Manner,” Lung Cancer, 2014.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Treatment with human insulin does not increase thyroid cancer risk in patients with type 2 diabetes,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 736–742, 2014.
- Wu-jie Bu, Lei Song, Dan-yi Zhao, Bing Guo, and Jing Liu, “Insulin therapy and the risk of colorectal cancer in patients with type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of observational studies,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 301–309, 2014.
- C. A. Bannister, S. E. Holden, S. Jenkins-Jones, C. Ll. Morgan, J. P. Halcox, G. Schernthaner, J. Mukherjee, and C. J. Currie, “Can people with type 2 diabetes live longer than those without? A comparison of mortality in people initiated with metformin or sulphonylurea monotherapy and matched, non-diabetic controls,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 2014.
- Ying Wu, Hong-Bing Liu, Xue-Fei Shi, and Yong Song, “Conventional Hypoglycaemic Agents and the Risk of Lung Cancer in Patients with Diabetes: A Meta-Analysis,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 6, 2014.
- Takumi Kawaguchi, Motoyuki Kohjima, Tatsuki Ichikawa, Masataka Seike, Yasushi Ide, Toshihiko Mizuta, Koichi Honda, Kazuhiko Nakao, Makoto Nakamuta, and Michio Sata, “The morbidity and associated risk factors of cancer in chronic liver disease patients with diabetes mellitus: a multicenter field survey,” Journal of Gastroenterology, 2014.
- Z.-J. Zhang, Y. Bi, S. Li, Q. Zhang, G. Zhao, Y. Guo, and Q. Song, “Reduced Risk of Lung Cancer With Metformin Therapy in Diabetic Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” American Journal of Epidemiology, 2014.
- Zheng Wang, Song-tao Lai, Li Xie, Jian-dong Zhao, Ning-yi Ma, Ji Zhu, Zhi-gang Ren, and Guo-liang Jiang, “Metformin is associated with reduced risk of pancreatic cancer in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A systematic review and meta-analysis,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 2014.
- Tae Il Kim, “Chemopreventive drugs: Mechanisms via inhibition of cancer stem cells in colorectal cancer,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 14, pp. 3835–3846, 2014.
- S. E. Holden, and C. J. Currie, “Mortality risk with sulphonylureas compared to metformin,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 2014.
- Farn-Hsuan Tseng, “Diabetes and gastric cancer: the potential links,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1701–1711, 2014.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Metformin may reduce bladder cancer risk in Taiwanese patients with type 2 diabetes,” Acta Diabetologica, 2014.
- Hongliang Yu, Li Yin, Xuesong Jiang, Xiujin Sun, Jing Wu, Hao Tian, Xianshu Gao, and Xia He, “Effect of Metformin on Cancer Risk and Treatment Outcome of Prostate Cancer: A Meta-Analysis of Epidemiological Observational Studies,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 12, 2014.
- H.-W. Hense, and A. S. Geier, “Re: "Reduced Risk Of Lung Cancer With Metformin Therapy In Diabetic Patients: A Systematic Review And Meta-Analysis",” American Journal of Epidemiology, 2014.
- N. Schmedt, L. Azoulay, and S. Hense, “Re: "Reduced Risk Of Lung Cancer With Metformin Therapy In Diabetic Patients: A Systematic Review And Meta-Analysis",” American Journal of Epidemiology, 2014.
- Z.-J. Zhang, “The First Author Replies,” American Journal of Epidemiology, 2014.
- Vinchi Wang, Tzu-Hao Chao, Chung-Chih Hsieh, Che-Chen Lin, and Chia-Hung Kao, “Cancer Risks among the Users of Ergot-Derived Dopamine Agonists for Parkinson’s Disease, A Nationwide Population-Based Survey,” Parkinsonism & Related Disorders, 2014.
- Xiao-Jin Sun, Pei Zhang, Hai-Hui Li, Zhi-Wen Jiang, Chen-Chen Jiang, and Hao Liu, “Cisplatin Combined with Metformin Inhibits Migration and Invasion of Human Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Cells by Regulating E-cadherin and MMP-9,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 4019–4023, 2014.
- Lori C. Sakoda, Assiamira Ferrara, Ninah S. Achacoso, Tiffany Peng, Samantha F. Ehrlich, Charles P. Quesenberry, and Laurel A. Habel, “Metformin Use and Lung Cancer Risk in Patients with Diabetes,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 174–179, 2015.
- Hong-Li Xu, Yu-Ting Tan, Meira Epplein, Hong-Lan Li, Jing Gao, Yu-Tang Gao, Wei Zheng, Xiao-Ou Shu, and Yong-Bing Xiang, “Population-based cohort studies of type 2 diabetes and stomach cancer risk in Chinese men and women,” Cancer Science, 2015.