- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 413782, 6 pages
The Influence of Type 2 Diabetes and Glucose-Lowering Therapies on Cancer Risk in the Taiwanese
1Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
2Graduate Institute of Integrated Medicine, China Medical University, Taiwan
3Department of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
4School of Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
5Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No. 7 Chung-Shan South Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Received 24 February 2012; Accepted 2 April 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Ming-Chia Hsieh et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. J. Chiang, Y. C. Chen, C. J. Chen, S. L. You, and M. S. Lai, “Cancer trends in Taiwan,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 897–904, 2010.
- C. H. Tseng, “Mortality and causes of death in a national sample of diabetic patients in Taiwan,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1605–1609, 2004.
- H. B. El-Serag, H. Hampel, and F. Javadi, “The association between diabetes and hepatocellular carcinoma: a systematic review of epidemiologic evidence,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 369–380, 2006.
- S. S. Coughlin, E. E. Calle, L. R. Teras, J. Petrelli, and M. J. Thun, “Diabetes mellitus as a predictor of cancer mortality in a large cohort of US adults,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 159, no. 12, pp. 1160–1167, 2004.
- S. C. Larsson, C. S. Mantzoros, and A. Wolk, “Diabetes mellitus and risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 856–862, 2007.
- R. Huxley, A. Ansary-Moghaddam, A. Berrington de González, F. Barzi, and M. Woodward, “Type-II diabetes and pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of 36 studies,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 2076–2083, 2005.
- S. C. Larsson, N. Orsini, K. Brismar, and A. Wolk, “Diabetes mellitus and risk of bladder cancer: a meta-analysis,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 2819–2823, 2006.
- S. C. Larsson, N. Orsini, and A. Wolk, “Diabetes mellitus and risk of colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 97, no. 22, pp. 1679–1687, 2005.
- C. H. Tseng, “Pioglitazone and bladder cancer: a population-based study of Taiwanese,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 278–280, 2012.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes and risk of bladder cancer: a study using the National Health Insurance database in Taiwan,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 2009–2015, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, C. K. Chong, C. P. Tseng, and T. T. Chan, “Age-related risk of mortality from bladder cancer in diabetic patients: a 12-year follow-up of a national cohort in Taiwan,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 371–379, 2009.
- C. H. Tseng, C. K. Chong, and T. Y. Tai, “Secular trend for mortality from breast cancer and the association between diabetes and breast cancer in Taiwan between 1995 and 2006,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 240–246, 2009.
- A. G. Renehan, M. Zwahlen, C. Minder, S. T. O'Dwyer, S. M. Shalet, and M. Egger, “Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein-3, and cancer risk: systematic review and meta-regression analysis,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9418, pp. 1346–1353, 2004.
- M. Pollak, “Insulin and insulin-like growth factor signalling in neoplasia,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 915–928, 2008.
- V. N. Anisimov, P. A. Egormin, L. M. Bershtein et al., “Metformin decelerates aging and development of mammary tumors in HER-2/neu transgenic mice,” Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 139, no. 6, pp. 721–723, 2005.
- M. B. Schneider, H. Matsuzaki, J. Haorah et al., “Prevention of pancreatic cancer induction in hamsters by metformin,” Gastroenterology, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 1263–1270, 2001.
- M. Zakikhani, R. Dowling, I. G. Fantus, N. Sonenberg, and M. Pollak, “Metformin is an AMP kinase-dependent growth inhibitor for breast cancer cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 21, pp. 10269–10273, 2006.
- M. Buzzai, R. G. Jones, R. K. Amaravadi et al., “Systemic treatment with the antidiabetic drug metformin selectively impairs p53-deficient tumor cell growth,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 14, pp. 6745–6752, 2007.
- A. K. F. Wong, J. Howie, J. R. Petrie, and C. C. Lang, “AMP-activated protein kinase pathway: a potential therapeutic target in cardiometabolic disease,” Clinical Science, vol. 116, no. 8, pp. 607–620, 2009.
- L. M. Berstein, “Clinical usage of hypolipidemic and antidiabetic drugs in the prevention and treatment of cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 224, no. 2, pp. 203–212, 2005.
- A. J. Krentz and C. J. Bailey, “Oral antidiabetic agents: current role in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Drugs, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 385–411, 2005.
- M. W. Stolar, B. J. Hoogwerf, S. M. Gorshow, P. J. Boyle, and D. O. Wales, “Managing type 2 diabetes: going beyond glycemic control,” Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. S2–S19, 2008.
- M. Y. Lee, K. D. Lin, P. J. Hsiao, and S. J. Shin, “The association of diabetes mellitus with liver, colon, lung, and prostate cancer is independent of hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and gout in Taiwanese patients,” Metabolism, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 242–249, 2012.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes conveys a higher risk of gastric cancer mortality despite an age-standardised decreasing trend in the general population in Taiwan,” Gut, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 774–779, 2011.
- F. Foster, “Sex differentials in cancer mortality and morbidity,” World Health Statistics Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 360–383, 1978.
- D. J. Ashley, “Sex differences in the incidence of tumours at various sites,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 26–30, 1969.
- R. Benigni, “Social sexual inequality and sex difference in cancer incidence,” Environmental Research, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 128–134, 2007.
- E. Crocetti and E. Paci, “What gender differences in cancer incidence changed during the last 10 years in central Italy?” Tumori, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 2002.
- A. Oksuzyan, K. Juel, J. W. Vaupel, and K. Christensen, “Men: good health and high mortality. Sex differences in health and aging,” Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 91–102, 2008.
- D. L. Wingard, “The sex differential in morbidity, mortality, and lifestyle,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 5, pp. 433–458, 1984.
- B. E. Barker, H. Fanger, and P. Farnes, “Human mammary slices in organ culture. I. Method of culture and preliminary observations on the effect of insulin,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 437–448, 1964.
- B. van der Burg, G. R. Rutteman, M. A. Blankenstein, S. W. De Laat, and E. J. J. van Zoelen, “Mitogenic stimulation of human breast cancer cells in a growth factor-defined medium: synergistic action of insulin and estrogen,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 101–108, 1988.
- P. J. Goodwin, “Insulin in the adjuvant breast cancer setting: a novel therapeutic target for lifestyle and pharmacologic interventions?” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 833–834, 2008.
- E. Giovannucci and D. Michaud, “The role of obesity and related metabolic disturbances in cancers of the colon, prostate, and pancreas,” Gastroenterology, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 2208–2225, 2007.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes and risk of prostate cancer: a study using the National Health Insurance,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 616–621, 2011.
- J. S. Kasper and E. Giovannucci, “A meta-analysis of diabetes mellitus and the risk of prostate cancer,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 2056–2062, 2006.
- B. A. Calton, S. C. Chang, M. E. Wright et al., “History of diabetes mellitus and subsequent prostate cancer risk in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 493–503, 2007.
- M. Inoue, M. Iwasaki, T. Otani, S. Sasazuki, M. Noda, and S. Tsugane, “Diabetes mellitus and the risk of cancer: results from a large-scale population-based cohort study in Japan,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 17, pp. 1871–1877, 2006.
- M. Khan, M. Mori, Y. Fujino et al., “Site-specific cancer risk due to diabetes mellitus history: evidence from the Japan Collaborative Cohort (JACC) Study,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 253–259, 2006.
- K. M. Waters, B. E. Henderson, D. O. Stram, P. Wan, L. N. Kolonel, and C. A. Haiman, “Association of diabetes with prostate cancer risk in the multiethnic cohort,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 169, no. 8, pp. 937–945, 2009.
- S. H. Jee, H. Ohrr, J. W. Sull, J. E. Yun, M. Ji, and J. M. Samet, “Fasting serum glucose level and cancer risk in Korean men and women,” JAMA, vol. 293, no. 2, pp. 194–202, 2005.
- S. V. P. Koskinen, A. R. S. Reunanen, T. P. Martelin, and T. Valkonen, “Mortality in a large population-based cohort of patients with drug- treated diabetes mellitus,” The American Journal of Public Health, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 765–770, 1998.
- G. D. Batty, M. J. Shipley, M. Marmot, and G. D. Smith, “Diabetes status and post-load plasma glucose concentration in relation to site-specific cancer mortality: findings from the original Whitehall study,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 873–881, 2004.
- G. C. Hall, C. M. Roberts, M. Boulis, J. Mo, and K. D. MacRae, “Diabetes and the risk of lung cancer,” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 590–594, 2005.
- C. J. Currie, C. D. Poole, and E. A. M. Gale, “The influence of glucose-lowering therapies on cancer risk in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1766–1777, 2009.
- S. L. Bowker, S. R. Majumdar, P. Veugelers, and J. A. Johnson, “Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulin,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 254–258, 2006.
- C. H. Tseng, “Insulin use is not significantly predictive for prostate cancer mortality in diabetic patients: a 12-year follow-up study,” British Journal of Urology International. In press.
- S. W. Lai, K. F. Liao, P. C. Chen, P. Y. Tsai, D. P. H. Hsieh, and C. C. Chen, “Antidiabetes drugs correlate with decreased risk of lung cancer: a population-based observation in Taiwan,” Clinical Lung Cancer, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 143–148, 2012.