- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 414893, 5 pages
Diabetes Mellitus in Pancreatic Cancer Patients in the Czech Republic: Sex Differences
1Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University Brno, Jihlavska 20 62500 Brno, Czech Republic
2University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
3Department of Pathology, University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University Brno, 62500 Brno, Czech Republic
Received 20 December 2011; Revised 21 March 2012; Accepted 8 May 2012
Academic Editor: Chin-Hsiao Tseng
Copyright © 2012 Jan Trna et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. R. Bramhall, W. H. Allum, A. G. Jones, A. Allwood, C. Cummins, and J. P. Neoptolemos, “Treatment and survival in 13 560 patients with pancreatic cancer, and incidence of the disease, in the West Midlands: an epidemiological study,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 111–115, 1995.
- E. Fernandez, C. La Vecchia, M. Porta, E. Negri, F. Lucchini, and F. Levi, “Trends in pancreatic cancer mortality in Europe, 1955-1989,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 786–792, 1994.
- R. H. Hruban, N. V. Adsay, J. Albores-Saavedra, et al., “The genetic basis of human cancer,” in Pancreatic Cancer, B. Vogelstein and K. W. Kinzler, Eds., pp. 603–613, Mc Graw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- A. Jemal, T. Murray, E. Ward, and A. Samuels, “Cancer statistics,” Ca-A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 10–30, 2005.
- M. Canto, M. Goggins, C. J. Yeo et al., “Screening for pancreatic neoplasia in high-risk individuals: an EUS-based approach,” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 606–621, 2004.
- I. Kessler, “Cancer mortality among diabetics,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 673–686, 1970.
- M. W. Ragozzino, L. J. Melton 3rd, C. P. Chu, and P. J. Palumbo, “Subsequent cancer risk in the incidence cohort of Rochester, Minnesota, residents with diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Chronic Diseases, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 13–19, 1982.
- L. Wideroff, G. Gridley, L. Mellemkjaer et al., “Cancer incidence in a population-based cohort of patients hospitalized with diabetes mellitus in Denmark,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 18, pp. 1360–1365, 1997.
- D. T. Silverman, M. Schiffman, J. Everhart et al., “Diabetes mellitus, other medical conditions and familial history of cancer as risk factors for pancreatic cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1830–1837, 1999.
- L. Bonelli, H. Aste, P. Bovo et al., “Exocrine pancreatic cancer, cigarette smoking, and diabetes mellitus: a case-control study in Northern Italy,” Pancreas, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 143–149, 2003.
- S. T. Chari, C. L. Leibson, M. de Andrade, K. G. Rabe, J. Ransom, and G. M. Petersen, “Probability of pancreatic cancer following diabetes: a population-based study,” Gastroenterology, vol. 129, no. 2, pp. 504–511, 2005.
- Y. Ogawa, M. Tanaka, K. Inoue et al., “A prospective pancreatographic study of the prevalence of pancreatic carcinoma in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Cancer, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 2344–2349, 2002.
- R. Pannala, A. Basu, G. M. Petersen, and S. T. Chari, “New-onset diabetes: a potential clue to the early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 88–95, 2009.
- D. Li, K. Xie, R. Wolff, and J. L. Abbruzzese, “Pancreatic cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9414, pp. 1049–1057, 2004.
- A. B. Lowenfels, P. Maisonneuve, E. P. DiMagno et al., “Hereditary pancreatitis and the risk of pancreatic cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 442–446, 1997.
- S. A. Hahn, B. Greenhalf, I. Ellis et al., “BRCA2 germline mutations in familial pancreatic carcinoma,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 214–221, 2003.
- A. M. Goldstein, M. C. Fraser, J. P. Struewing et al., “Increased risk of pancreatic cancer in melanoma-prone kindreds with p16(INK4) mutations,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 333, no. 15, pp. 970–974, 1995.
- F. M. Giardiello, J. D. Brensinger, A. C. Tersmette et al., “Very high risk of cancer in familial Peutz-Jeghers syndrome,” Gastroenterology, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 1447–1453, 2000.
- A. P. Klein, K. A. Brune, G. M. Petersen et al., “Prospective risk of pancreatic cancer in familial pancreatic cancer kindreds,” Cancer Research, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 2634–2638, 2004.
- S. T. Chari, “Detecting pancreatic cancer early: problems and prospects,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 284–294, 2007.
- Q. Ben, M. Xu, X. Ning et al., “Diabetes mellitus and risk of pancreatic cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 47, no. 13, pp. 1928–1937, 2011.
- R. Pannala, J. B. Leirness, W. R. Bamlet, A. Basu, G. M. Petersen, and S. T. Chari, “Prevalence and clinical profile of pancreatic cancer-associated diabetes mellitus,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 4, pp. 981–987, 2008.
- S. T. Chari, C. L. Leibson, K. G. Rabe et al., “Pancreatic cancer-associated diabetes mellitus: prevalence and temporal association with diagnosis of cancer,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 95–101, 2008.
- P. Maisonneuve, A. B. Lowenfels, H. B. Bueno-de-Mesquita et al., “Past medical history and pancreatic cancer risk: results from a multicenter case-control study,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 92–98, 2010.
- M. I. Harris, R. Klein, T. A. Welborn, and M. W. Knuiman, “Onset of NIDDM occurs at least 4-7 yr before clinical diagnosis,” Diabetes Care, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 815–819, 1992.
- C. C. Cowie, K. F. Rust, E. S. Ford et al., “Full accounting of diabetes and pre-diabetes in the U.S. population in 1988-1994 and 2005-2006,” Diabetes Care, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 287–294, 2009.
- A. Wittek, B. Sokalski, W. Grzeszczak, and K. Strojek, “Prevalence of diabetes and cardiovascular risk factors of industrial area in Southern Poland,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 117, no. 7, pp. 350–353, 2009.
- B. M. Cheung, K. L. Ong, S. S. Cherny, P. C. Sham, A. W. Tso, and K. S. Lam, “Diabetes prevalence and therapeutic target achievement in the United States, 1999 to 2006,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 443–453, 2009.
- J. J. Souza, M. C. Machado, J. E. Cunha et al., “Analysis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma tumor staging and resection according to previous body mass index and diabetes duration,” Pancreatology, vol. 7, no. 2-3, pp. 187–193, 2007.
- L. Gullo, R. Pezzilli, and A. M. Morselli-Labate, “Diabetes and the risk of pancreatic cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 331, no. 2, pp. 81–84, 1994.
- J. Everhart and D. Wright, “Diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for pancreatic cancer. A meta-analysis,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 273, no. 20, pp. 1605–1609, 1995.
- A. Noy and J. P. Bilezikian, “Diabetes and pancreatic cancer: clues to the early diagnosis of pancreatic malignancy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 1223–1231, 1994.
- H. O. Adami, S. McLaughlin, and A. Ekban, “Cancer risk in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 307–314, 1991.
- M. Pelaez-Luna, N. Takahashi, J. G. Fletcher, and S. T. Chari, “Resectability of presymptomatic pancreatic cancer and its relationship to onset of diabetes: a retrospective review of CT scans and fasting glucose values prior to diagnosis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 2157–2163, 2007.
- S. Gangi, J. G. Fletcher, M. A. Nathan et al., “Time interval between abnormalities seen on CT and the clinical diagnosis of pancreatic cancer: retrospective review of CT scans obtained before diagnosis,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 182, no. 4, pp. 897–903, 2004.
- J. Damiano, L. Bordier, J. P. Le Berre et al., “Should pancreas imaging be recommanded in patients over 50 years when diabetes is discovered because of acute symptoms?” Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 203–207, 2004.
- S. Chakraborty, M. J. Baine, A. R. Sasson, and S. K. Batra, “Current status of molecular markers for early detection of sporadic pancreatic cancer,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1815, no. 1, pp. 44–64, 2011.
- J. T. Magruder, D. Elahi, and D. K. Andersen, “Diabetes and pancreatic cancer: chicken or egg?” Pancreas, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 339–351, 2011.
- P. Dítě and E. Geryk, “Trends of primary and subsequent cancers of the gastrointestinal tract in the Czech population, 1976-2005,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 28, no. 4-5, pp. 657–669, 2010.
- E. Geryk, P. Dite, J. Trna, et al., “Pancreas cancer burden of the Czech population,” Onkologie, vol. 4, pp. 322–325, 2010.