- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 578285, 7 pages
Diabetes and Thyroid Cancer Risk: Literature Review
1Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, No. 7, Chung Shan South Road, Taipei 10002, Taiwan
2National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Received 30 January 2012; Revised 30 March 2012; Accepted 20 April 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Shyang-Rong Shih et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. B. Ahluwalia, K. A. Mack, W. Murphy, A. H. Mokdad, and V. S. Bales, “State-specific prevalence of selected chronic disease-related characteristics—behavioral risk factor surveillance system, 2001,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report Surveillance Summaries, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 1–80, 2003.
- A. A. Tahrani, C. J. Bailey, S. Del Prato, and A. H. Barnett, “Management of type 2 diabetes: new and future developments in treatment,” The Lancet, vol. 378, no. 9786, pp. 182–197, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, C. P. Tseng, C. K. Chong et al., “Increasing incidence of diagnosed type 2 diabetes in Taiwan: analysis of data from a national cohort,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1755–1760, 2006.
- S. S. Coughlin, E. E. Calle, L. R. Teras, J. Petrelli, and M. J. Thun, “Diabetes mellitus as a predictor of cancer mortality in a large cohort of US adults,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 159, no. 12, pp. 1160–1167, 2004.
- C. H. Tseng, C. K. Chong, and T. Y. Tai, “Secular trend for mortality from breast cancer and the association between diabetes and breast cancer in Taiwan between 1995 and 2006,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 240–246, 2009.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes and risk of prostate cancer: a study using the National Health Insurance,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 616–621, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes and risk of bladder cancer: a study using the National Health Insurance database in Taiwan,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 2009–2015, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: analyses of prevalence and annual incidence in 2005 using the National Health Insurance database in Taiwan,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, no. 1, Article ID mdr334, pp. 153–158, 2012.
- J. E. Paes, K. Hua, R. Nagy, R. T. Kloos, D. Jarjoura, and M. D. Ringel, “The relationship between body mass index and thyroid cancer pathology features and outcomes: a clinicopathological cohort study,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 9, pp. 4244–4250, 2010.
- L. Davies and H. G. Welch, “Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973–2002,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 18, pp. 2164–2167, 2006.
- M. T. Rojeski and H. Gharib, “Nodular thyroid disease. Evaluation and management,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 313, no. 7, pp. 428–436, 1985.
- L. Enewold, K. Zhu, E. Ron et al., “Rising thyroid cancer incidence in the United States by demographic and tumor characteristics, 1980–2005,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 784–791, 2009.
- C. L. Meinhold, E. Ron, S. J. Schonfeld et al., “Nonradiation risk factors for thyroid cancer in the US radiologic technologists study,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 242–252, 2010.
- W. Borena, T. Stocks, H. Jonsson et al., “Serum triglycerides and cancer risk in the metabolic syndrome and cancer (Me-Can) collaborative study,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 291–299, 2011.
- I. R. Hsu, S. P. Kim, M. Kabir, and R. N. Bergman, “Metabolic syndrome, hyperinsulinemia, and cancer,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 867S–871S, 2007.
- K. Y. Wolin, K. Carson, and G. A. Colditz, “Obesity and cancer,” The Oncologist, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 556–565, 2010.
- H. O. Adami, J. McLaughlin, A. Ekbom et al., “Cancer risk in patients with diabetes mellitus,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 307–314, 1991.
- L. Wideroff, G. Gridley, L. Mellemkjaer et al., “Cancer incidence in a population-based cohort of patients hospitalized with diabetes mellitus in Denmark,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 18, pp. 1360–1365, 1997.
- M. Inoue, M. Iwasaki, T. Otani, S. Sasazuki, M. Noda, and S. Tsugane, “Diabetes mellitus and the risk of cancer: results from a large-scale population-based cohort study in Japan,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 166, no. 17, pp. 1871–1877, 2006.
- K. Kuriki, K. Hirose, and K. Tajima, “Diabetes and cancer risk for all and specific sites among Japanese men and women,” European Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 83–89, 2007.
- G. Chodick, A. D. Heymann, L. Rosenmann et al., “Diabetes and risk of incident cancer: a large population-based cohort study in Israel,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 879–887, 2010.
- B. Aschebrook-Kilfoy, M. M. Sabra, A. Brenner et al., “Diabetes and thyroid cancer risk in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health study,” Thyroid, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 957–963, 2011.
- C. M. Kitahara, E. A. Platz, L. E. Beane Freeman et al., “Physical activity, diabetes, and thyroid cancer risk: a pooled analysis of five prospective studies,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 463–471, 2012.
- P. Wu, “Thyroid disorders and diabetes. It is common for a person to be affected by both thyroid disease and diabetes,” Diabetes Self-Management, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 80–87, 2007.
- J. Coclet, F. Foureau, P. Ketelbant, P. Galand, and J. E. Dumont, “Cell population kinetics in dog and human adult thyroid,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 655–665, 1989.
- J. E. Dumont, C. Maenhaut, I. Pirson, M. Baptist, and P. P. Roger, “Growth factors controlling the thyroid gland,” Bailliere's Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 727–754, 1991.
- R. Parameswaran, S. Brooks, and G. P. Sadler, “Molecular pathogenesis of follicular cell derived thyroid cancers,” International Journal of Surgery, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 186–193, 2010.
- A. Porcellini, G. Fenzi, and E. V. Avvedimento, “Mutations of thyrotropin receptor gene,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 75, no. 8, pp. 567–575, 1997.
- S. T. Sawyer and S. Cohen, “Enhancement of calcium uptake and phosphatidylinositol turnover by epidermal growth factor in A-431 cells,” Biochemistry, vol. 20, no. 21, pp. 6280–6286, 1981.
- J. K. Shaver, S. Tezelman, A. E. Siperstein et al., “Thyroid-stimulating hormone activates phospholipase C in normal and neoplastic thyroid tissue,” Surgery, vol. 114, no. 6, pp. 1064–1069, 1993.
- M. J. Schlumberger, S. Filetti, and I. D. Hey, “Nontoxic goiter and thyroid neoplasia,” in Williams Textbook of Endocrinology, H. M. Kronenberg, S. Melmed, K. S. Polonsky, and P. R. Larsen, Eds., pp. 411–442, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 11th edition, 2008.
- D. R. Clemmons, “Structural and functional analysis of insulin-like growth factors,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 465–480, 1989.
- S. E. Hankinson, W. C. Willett, G. A. Colditz et al., “Circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of breast cancer,” The Lancet, vol. 351, no. 9113, pp. 1393–1396, 1998.
- J. Ma, M. N. Pollak, E. Giovannucci et al., “Prospective study of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 91, no. 7, pp. 620–625, 1999.
- D. Tramontano, G. W. Cushing, A. C. Moses, and S. H. Ingbar, “Insulin-like growth factor-I stimulates the growth of rat thyroid cells in culture and synergized the stimulation of DNA synthesis induced by TSH and Graves'-IgG,” Endocrinology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 940–942, 1986.
- M. A. Pisarev, “Interrelationships between the pancreas and the thyroid,” Current Opinion in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 437–439, 2010.
- A. Gursoy, “Rising thyroid cancer incidence in the world might be related to insulin resistance,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 35–36, 2010.
- J. N. Rezzonico, M. Rezzonico, E. Pusiol, F. Pitoia, and H. Niepomniszcze, “Increased prevalence of insulin resistance in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 375–380, 2009.
- K. Boelaert, “The association between serum TSH concentration and thyroid cancer,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1065–1072, 2009.
- M. R. Haymart, D. J. Repplinger, G. E. Leverson et al., “Higher serum thyroid stimulating hormone level in thyroid nodule patients is associated with greater risks of differentiated thyroid cancer and advanced tumor stage,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 809–814, 2008.
- S. A. Polyzos, M. Kita, Z. Efstathiadou et al., “Serum thyrotropin concentration as a biochemical predictor of thyroid malignancy in patients presenting with thyroid nodules,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 134, no. 9, pp. 953–960, 2008.
- M. Mouradian and N. Abourizk, “Diabetes mellitus and thyroid disease,” Diabetes Care, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 512–520, 1983.
- H. E. Tamez-Perez, E. Martinez, D. L. Quintanilla-Flores, A. L. Tamez-Peña, H. Gutiérrez-Hermosillo, and E. Díaz De León-González, “The rate of primary hypothyroidism in diabetic patients is greater than in the non-diabetic population. An observational study,” Medicina Clinica, vol. 138, no. 11, pp. 475–477, 2012.
- C. Samanic, W. H. Chow, G. Gridley, B. Jarvholm, and J. F. Fraumeni, “Relation of body mass index to cancer risk in 362,552 Swedish men,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 901–909, 2006.
- D. G. Marrero, “The prevention of type 2 diabetes: an overview,” Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 756–760, 2009.
- C. M. Kitahara, E. A. Platz, L. E. Freeman et al., “Obesity and thyroid cancer risk among U.S. men and women: a pooled analysis of five prospective studies,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 464–472, 2011.
- A. G. Renehan, M. Tyson, M. Egger, R. F. Heller, and M. Zwahlen, “Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies,” The Lancet, vol. 371, no. 9612, pp. 569–578, 2008.
- S. Uddin, P. Bavi, A. K. Siraj et al., “Leptin-R and its association with PI3K/AKT signaling pathway in papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 191–202, 2010.
- C. J. Currie, C. D. Poole, and E. A. Gale, “The influence of glucose-lowering therapies on cancer risk in type 2 diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1766–1777, 2009.
- G. Chen, S. Xu, K. Renko, and M. Derwahl, “Metformin inhibits growth of thyroid carcinoma cells, suppresses self-renewal of derived cancer stem cells, and potentiates the effect of chemotherapeutic agents,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. E510–E520, 2012.
- U. Smith and E. A. Gale, “Does diabetes therapy influence the risk of cancer?” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1699–1708, 2009.
- S. L. Bowker, S. R. Majumdar, P. Veugelers, and J. A. Johnson, “Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulin,” Diabetes Care, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 254–258, 2006.
- Y. X. Yang, S. Hennessy, and J. D. Lewis, “Insulin therapy and colorectal cancer risk among type 2 diabetes mellitus patients,” Gastroenterology, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 1044–1050, 2004.
- L. B. Knudsen, L. W. Madsen, S. Andersen et al., “Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists activate rodent thyroid C-cells causing calcitonin release and C-cell proliferation,” Endocrinology, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. 1473–1486, 2010.
- L. W. Madsen, J. A. Knauf, C. Gotfredsen et al., “GLP-1 receptor agonists and the thyroid: C-cell effects in mice are mediated via the GLP-1 receptor and not associated with RET activation,” Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 1538–1547, 2012.
- D. J. Drucker, S. I. Sherman, R. M. Bergenstal, and J. B. Buse, “The safety of incretin-based therapies—review of the scientific evidence,” The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 7, pp. 2027–2031, 2011.
- W. M. Wood, V. Sharma, K. T. Bauerle et al., “PPAR promotes growth and invasion of thyroid cancer cells,” PPAR Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 171765, 11 pages, 2011.
- T. Stocks, K. Rapp, T. Bjorge et al., “Blood glucose and risk of incident and fatal cancer in the metabolic syndrome and cancer project (Me-Can): analysis of six prospective cohorts,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 6, no. 12, Article ID e1000201, 2009.
- K. Rapp, J. Schroeder, J. Klenk et al., “Fasting blood glucose and cancer risk in a cohort of more than 140,000 adults in Austria,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 945–952, 2006.
- S. Cowey and R. W. Hardy, “The metabolic syndrome: a high-risk state for cancer?” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 169, no. 5, pp. 1505–1522, 2006.
- M. Almquist, D. Johansen, T. Bjorge et al., “Metabolic factors and risk of thyroid cancer in the metabolic syndrome and cancer project (Me-Can),” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 743–751, 2011.
- A. A. Tahrani, A. Ball, L. Shepherd, A. Rahim, A. F. Jones, and A. Bates, “The prevalence of vitamin D abnormalities in South Asians with type 2 diabetes mellitus in the UK,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 351–355, 2010.
- E. Giovannucci, “Vitamin D status and cancer incidence and mortality,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 624, pp. 31–42, 2008.