- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 789174, 12 pages
Insulin Resistance and Cancer Risk: An Overview of the Pathogenetic Mechanisms
1Department of Health Sciences, Magna Græcia University of Catanzaro, Viale Europa (Località Germaneto), 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
2Clinical Pathology, Magna Græcia University of Catanzaro, Viale Europa (Località Germaneto), 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
3Endocrinology, Magna Græcia University of Catanzaro, Viale Europa (Località Germaneto), 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
Received 29 January 2012; Accepted 10 April 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Biagio Arcidiacono et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [65 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Dan Wang, Mitchell L. Wise, Feng Li, and Moul Dey, “Phytochemicals Attenuating Aberrant Activation of beta-Catenin in Cancer Cells,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 12, 2012.
- Dino Rotondo, and Jillian Davidson, “Genetics and molecular biology,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 501–502, 2012.
- Chengeng Liu, Yue Wei, Jianmin Wang, Langan Pi, Jianjun Huang, and Peichang Wang, “Carbonic Anhydrases III and IV Autoantibodies in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Diabetes, Hypertensive Renal Disease, and Heart Failure,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- Sandra Maria Barbalho, Maricelma da Silva Soares de Souza, Júlio César de Paula e Silva, Claudemir Gregório Mendes, Gabriela Aparecida de Oliveira, and Flávia M. V Farinazzi-Machado, “Yellow passion fruit rind (Passiflora edulis): an industrial waste or an adjuvant in the maintenance of glycemia and prevention of dyslipidemia?,” Journal of Diabetes Research and Clinical Metabolism, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 5, 2012.
- Amaresh C. Panda, Ioannis Grammatikakis, and Je-Hyun Yoon, “Posttranscriptional Regulation of Insulin Family Ligands and Receptors,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 19202–19229, 2013.
- Arlette Gratas-Delamarche, Frédéric Derbré, Sophie Vincent, and Josiane Cillard, “Physical inactivity, insulin resistance and the oxidative-inflammatory loop,” Free Radical Research, pp. 1–37, 2013.
- Rebecca L. Glaser, and Constantine Dimitrakakis, “Reduced breast cancer incidence in women treated with subcutaneous testosterone, or testosterone with anastrozole: A prospective, observational study,” Maturitas, 2013.
- Brenee King, Yu Jiang, Xiaoyu Su, Jianteng Xu, Linglin Xie, Joseph Standard, and Weiqun Wang, “Weight control, endocrine hormones and cancer prevention,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 238, no. 5, pp. 502–508, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Pioglitazone does not affect the risk of ovarian cancer: Analysis of a nationwide reimbursement database in Taiwan,” Gynecologic Oncology, 2013.
- Cheryl L. Rock, Chetna Pande, Shirley W. Flatt, Carl Ying, Bilge Pakiz, Barbara A. Parker, Kathryn Williams, Wayne A. Bardwell, Dennis D. Heath, and Jeanne F. Nichols, “Favorable Changes in Serum Estrogens and Other Biologic Factors After Weight Loss in Breast Cancer Survivors Who are Overweight or Obese,” Clinical Breast Cancer, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 188–195, 2013.
- Hua-Fen Chen, Ming-Der Liu, Peter Chen, Li-Huan Chen, Ya-Hui Chang, Pei-Chun Wen, and Chung-Yi Li, “Risks of Breast and Endometrial Cancer in Women with Diabetes: A Population-Based Cohort Study,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 6, 2013.
- Joyce V. Lee, Supriya A. Shah, and Kathryn E. Wellen, “Obesity, cancer and acetyl-CoA metabolism,” Drug Discovery Today: Disease Mechanisms, 2013.
- A. J. Krentz, A. Viljoen, and A. Sinclair, “Insulin resistance: a risk marker for disease and disability in the older person,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 535–548, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Diabetes and thyroid cancer mortality: a 12-year prospective follow-up of Taiwanese,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 595–601, 2013.
- A. B. Crujeiras, A. Díaz-Lagares, M. C. Carreira, M. Amil, and F. F. Casanueva, “Oxidative stress associated to dysfunctional adipose tissue: a potential link between obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus and breast cancer,” Free Radical Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 243–256, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Diabetes, insulin use, smoking, and pancreatic cancer mortality in Taiwan,” Acta Diabetologica, 2013.
- K B Greer, A Kresak, B Bednarchik, D Dawson, L Li, A Chak, and J Willis, “Insulin/Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 Pathway in Barrett’s Carcinogenesis,” Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. e31, 2013.
- Jeffrey J. W. Verschuren, Jeanine J. Houwing-Duistermaat, P. Eline Slagboom, J. Wouter Jukema, Stella Trompet, Joris Deelen, David J. Stott, Naveed Sattar, Brendan M. Buckley, Ian Ford, Bastiaan T. Heijmans, and Henk-Jan Guchelaar, “Non-Homologous End-Joining Pathway Associated with Occurrence of Myocardial Infarction: Gene Set Analysis of Genome-Wide Association Study Data,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 2, 2013.
- Kevin P. Keenan, Matthew A. Wallig, and Wanda M. Haschek, “Nature via nurture: Effect of diet on health, obesity, and safety assessment,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 190–209, 2013.
- Ana B. Crujeiras, M. Angeles Zulet, Patricia Lopez-Legarrea, Rocío de la Inglesia, María Pardo, Marcos C. Carreira, J. Alfredo Martínez, and Felipe F. Casanueva, “Association between circulating irisin levels and the promotion of insulin resistance during the weight maintenance period after a dietary weight-lowering program in obese patients,” Metabolism, 2013.
- Lunzhao Yi, Chenchao Song, Zheyu Hu, Lifang Yang, Lanbo Xiao, Bin Yi, Wuzhong Jiang, Ya Cao, and Lunquan Sun, “A metabolic discrimination model for nasopharyngeal carcinoma and its potential role in the therapeutic evaluation of radiotherapy,” Metabolomics, 2013.
- Lionel Hebbard, Stephanie Obeid, and Barbara Ranscht, “Multifaceted roles of Adiponectin in cancer,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2013.
- Veronika M. Gebhart, and Gustav F. Jirikowski, “Estrogen dependent expression of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin in PC 12 cells,” Steroids, 2013.
- Laurent Zelek, Camille Pouchieu, Mathilde His, Serge Hercberg, Pilar Galan, Paule Latino-Martel, and Mathilde Touvier, “Prospective Association between Dietary Fiber Intake and Breast Cancer Risk ,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Amos Pines, “Climacteric Commentaries,” Climacteric, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 601–608, 2013.
- Edward C. Suarez, and Nicole L. Schramm-Sapyta, “Race differences in the relation of vitamins A, C, E and β-carotene to metabolic and inflammatory biomarkers,” Nutrition Research, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Benign prostatic hyperplasia is a significant risk factor for bladder cancer in diabetic patients: A population-based cohort study using the National Health Insurance in Taiwan,” BMC Cancer, vol. 13, 2013.
- Hala Ahmadieh, and Sami T. Azar, “Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Oral Diabetic Medications, Insulin Therapy, and Overall Breast Cancer Risk,” ISRN Endocrinology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Samy L. Habib, and Maciej Rojna, “Diabetes and Risk of Cancer,” ISRN Oncology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–16, 2013.
- Rosalyne L. Westley, and Felicity E. B. May, “A Twenty-First Century Cancer Epidemic Caused by Obesity: The Involvement of Insulin, Diabetes, and Insulin-Like Growth Factors,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–37, 2013.
- Lena Secky, Martin Svoboda, Lukas Klameth, Erika Bajna, Gerhard Hamilton, Robert Zeillinger, Walter Jäger, and Theresia Thalhammer, “The Sulfatase Pathway for Estrogen Formation: Targets for the Treatment and Diagnosis of Hormone-Associated Tumors,” Journal of Drug Delivery, vol. 2013, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- Chiranjib Chakraborty, George Priya Doss, and Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay, “miRNAs in insulin resistance and diabetes-associated pancreatic cancer: The 'Minute and Miracle' molecule moving as a monitor in the 'genomic galaxy',” Current Drug Targets, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1110–1117, 2013.
- Zsuzsanna Suba, “Circulatory estrogen level protects against breast cancer in obese women,” Recent Patents on Anti-Cancer Drug Discovery, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 154–167, 2013.
- Eduardo Luzia Franca, Aline do Carmo Franca-Botelho, Juliana Luzia Franca, and Carlos Kusano Bucalen Ferrari, “Repercussions of Breastfeeding by Diabetic Women for Breast Cancer,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 6233–6239, 2013.
- Juhyun Park, Sung Yong Cho, Young Ju Lee, Seung Bae Lee, Hwancheol Son, and Hyeon Jeong, “Poor Glycemic Control of Diabetes Mellitus Is Associated with Higher Risk of Prostate Cancer Detection in a Biopsy Population,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 9, 2014.
- Andreu Nubiola, Marga Ferrer, and Imma Remolins, “La asociación de hiperinsulinemia con riesgo cardiovascular y cáncer plantea nuevos retos en el abordaje del paciente con diabetes tipo 2, insulinorresistente,” Hipertensión y Riesgo Vascular, 2014.
- Okezie I Aruoma, Jhoti Somanah, Emmanuel Bourdon, Philippe Rondeau, and Theeshan Bahorun, “Diabetes as a risk factor to cancer: Functional role of fermented papaya preparation as phytonutraceutical adjunct in the treatment of diabetes and cancer,” Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis, 2014.
- Melanie Deschasaux, Camille Pouchieu, Mathilde His, Serge Hercberg, Paule Latino-Martel, and Mathilde Touvier, “Dietary Total and Insoluble Fiber Intakes Are Inversely Associated with Prostate Cancer Risk,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 144, no. 4, pp. 504–510, 2014.
- Shawna B. Matthews, Zongjian Zhu, Weiqin Jiang, John N. McGinley, Elizabeth S. Neil, and Henry J. Thompson, “Excess Weight Gain Accelerates 1-Methyl-1-Nitrosourea-Induced Mammary Carcinogenesis in a Rat Model of Premenopausal Breast Cancer,” Cancer Prevention Research, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 310–318, 2014.
- Pikli Batabyal, Stephen Vander Hoorn, Christopher Christophi, and Mehrdad Nikfarjam, “Association of Diabetes Mellitus and Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: A Meta-Analysis of 88 Studies,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, 2014.
- Tasnim Dayeh, Petr Volkov, Sofia Salo, Elin Hall, Emma Nilsson, Anders H. Olsson, Clare L. Kirkpatrick, Claes B. Wollheim, Lena Eliasson, Tina Ronn, Karl Bacos, and Charlotte Ling, “Genome-Wide DNA Methylation Analysis of Human Pancreatic Islets from Type 2 Diabetic and Non-Diabetic Donors Identifies Candidate Genes That Influence Insulin Secretion,” Plos Genetics, vol. 10, no. 3, 2014.
- Shi Sen, Yanzheng He, Daisuke Koya, and Keizo Kanasaki, “Cancer biology in diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes Investigation, 2014.
- E.M. Strage, M.S. Lewitt, J.M. Hanson, U. Olsson, F. Norrvik, I. Lilliehöök, B.S. Holst, and T. Fall, “Relationship among Insulin Resistance, Growth Hormone, and Insulin-Like Growth Factor I Concentrations in Diestrous Swedish Elkhounds,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2014.
- Yuxin Yang, Yi Wang, Kai Zhou, and An Hong, “Constructing regulatory networks to identify biomarkers for insulin resistance,” Gene, 2014.
- Farn-Hsuan Tseng, “Diabetes and gastric cancer: the potential links,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1701–1711, 2014.
- Martha Patricia Gallegos-Arreola, Luis Eduardo Figuera-Villanueva, Adriana Ramos-Silva, Efrain Salas-Gonzalez, Ana Maria Puebla-Perez, Valeria Peralta-Leal, Jose Elias Garcia-Ortiz, Ingrid Patricia Davalos-Rodriguez, and Guillermo Moises Zuniga-Gonzalez, “The association between the 844ins68 polymorphism in the CBS gene and breast cancer,” Archives Of Medical Science, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 1214–1224, 2014.
- Danielle J. Crawley, Lars Holmberg, Jennifer C. Melvin, Massimo Loda, Simon Chowdhury, Sarah M. Rudman, and Mieke Van Hemelrijck, “Serum glucose and risk of cancer: a meta-analysis,” Bmc Cancer, vol. 14, 2014.
- A. B. Crujeiras, and F. F. Casanueva, “Obesity and the reproductive system disorders: epigenetics as a potential bridge,” Human Reproduction Update, 2014.
- S. O'Neill, and L. O'Driscoll, “Metabolic syndrome: a closer look at the growing epidemic and its associated pathologies,” Obesity Reviews, 2014.
- C. A. Thomson, T. E. Crane, B. C. Wertheim, M. L. Neuhouser, W. Li, L. G. Snetselaar, K. M. Basen-Engquist, Y. Zhou, and M. L. Irwin, “Diet Quality and Survival After Ovarian Cancer: Results From the Women's Health Initiative,” JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 106, no. 11, pp. dju314–dju314, 2014.
- Fernando Miguel Mendonça, Filipa Rodrigues de Sousa, Ana Luísa Barbosa, Sara Costa Martins, Raquel Lage Araújo, Raquel Soares, and Cristina Abreu, “Metabolic syndrome and risk of cancer: which link?,” Metabolism, 2014.
- Naoki Yoshida, Tadatoshi Takayama, Yutaka Midorikawa, Tokio Higaki, Hisashi Nakayama, Masamichi Moriguchi, and Shingo Tsuji, “Surgical Outcomes in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma Associated with Metabolic Syndrome,” World Journal of Surgery, 2014.
- Benjamin B. Albert, José G. B. Derraik, Christine M. Brennan, Janene B. Biggs, Greg C. Smith, Manohar L. Garg, David Cameron-Smith, Paul L. Hofman, and Wayne S. Cutfield, “Higher omega-3 index is associated with increased insulin sensitivity and more favourable metabolic profile in middle-aged overweight men,” Scientific Reports, vol. 4, pp. 6697, 2014.
- Annunziata D'Alessandro, and Giovanni De Pergola, “Mediterranean Diet Pyramid: A Proposal for Italian People,” Nutrients, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 4302–4316, 2014.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Metformin Reduces Thyroid Cancer Risk in Taiwanese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 10, 2014.
- Marjory Alana Marcello, Lucas Leite Cunha, Fernando Assis Batista, and Laura Sterian Ward, “Obesity and thyroid cancer,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. T255–T271, 2014.
- Weiwei Shan, Chengcheng Ning, Xuezhen Luo, Qiongjie Zhou, Chao Gu, Zhenbo Zhang, and Xiaojun Chen, “Hyperinsulinemia is associated with endometrial hyperplasia and disordered proliferative endometrium: A prospective cross-sectional study,” Gynecologic Oncology, 2014.
- Evrim Cakir, Oya Topaloglu, Nujen Colak Bozkurt, Basak Karbek Bayraktar, Askin Gungunes, Muyesser Sayki Arslan, Ilknur Ozturk Unsal, Esra Tutal, Bekir Ucan, and Tuncay Delibasi, “Insulin-like growth factor 1, liver enzymes, and insulin resistance in patients with PCOS and hirsutism,” Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 781–786, 2014.
- Shailima DV Rampogu, “Role of breast cancer inhibitors on diabetes mellitus– an in silico approach,” Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders, vol. 14, no. 1, 2015.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, Kuo-Yang Lee, and Farn-Hsuan Tseng, “An Updated Review on Cancer Risk Associated with Incretin Mimetics and Enhancers,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part C, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 67–124, 2015.
- Anna H. Wu, Allison W. Kurian, Marilyn L. Kwan, Esther M. John, Yani Lu, Theresa H. M. Keegan, Scarlett Lin Gomez, Iona Cheng, Salma Shariff-Marco, Bette J. Caan, Valerie S. Lee, Jane Sullivan-Halley, Chiu-Chen Tseng, Leslie Bernstein, Richard Sposto, and Cheryl Vigen, “Diabetes and Other Comorbidities in Breast Cancer Survival by Race/Ethnicity: The California Breast Cancer Survivorship Consortium (CBCSC),” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 361–368, 2015.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Rosiglitazone may reduce non-melanoma skin cancer risk in Taiwanese,” BMC Cancer, vol. 15, no. 1, 2015.
- Laura Arnoldo, Riccardo Sgarra, Eusebio Chiefari, Stefania Iiritano, Biagio Arcidiacono, Silvia Pegoraro, Ilenia Pellarin, Antonio Brunetti, and Guidalberto Manfioletti, “A novel mechanism of post-translational modulation of HMGA functions by the histone chaperone nucleophosmin,” Scientific Reports, vol. 5, pp. 8552, 2015.
- Jason You, Hushan Yang, Yinzhi Lai, Lindsay Simon, Jen Au, and Ashlie L. Burkart, “ARID2, p110α, p53 and β-catenin Protein Expression in Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Clinicopathologic Implications,” Human Pathology, 2015.
- Willemijn A. van Gemert, Evelyn M. Monninkhof, Anne M. May, Petra H. Peeters, and Albertine J. Schuit, “Effect of Exercise on Insulin Sensitivity in Healthy Postmenopausal Women: The SHAPE Study,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 81–87, 2015.