- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 789174, 12 pages
Insulin Resistance and Cancer Risk: An Overview of the Pathogenetic Mechanisms
1Department of Health Sciences, Magna Græcia University of Catanzaro, Viale Europa (Località Germaneto), 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
2Clinical Pathology, Magna Græcia University of Catanzaro, Viale Europa (Località Germaneto), 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
3Endocrinology, Magna Græcia University of Catanzaro, Viale Europa (Località Germaneto), 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
Received 29 January 2012; Accepted 10 April 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Biagio Arcidiacono et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [39 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Dan Wang, Mitchell L. Wise, Feng Li, and Moul Dey, “Phytochemicals Attenuating Aberrant Activation of beta-Catenin in Cancer Ce lls,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 12, 2012.
- Dino Rotondo, and Jillian Davidson, “Genetics and molecular biology,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 501–502, 2012.
- Chengeng Liu, Yue Wei, Jianmin Wang, Langan Pi, Jianjun Huang, and Peichang Wang, “Carbonic Anhydrases III and IV Autoantibodies in Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Diabetes, Hypertensive Renal Disease, and Heart Failure,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2012, pp. 1–6, 2012.
- Rebecca L. Glaser, and Constantine Dimitrakakis, “Reduced breast cancer incidence in women treated with subcutaneous testosterone, or testosterone with anastrozole: A prospective, observational study,” Maturitas, 2013.
- Arlette Gratas-Delamarche, Frédéric Derbré, Sophie Vincent, and Josiane Cillard, “Physical inactivity, insulin resistance and the oxidative-inflammatory loop,” Free Radical Research, pp. 1–37, 2013.
- Amaresh C. Panda, Ioannis Grammatikakis, and Je-Hyun Yoon, “Posttranscriptional Regulation of Insulin Family Ligands and Receptors,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 19202–19229, 2013.
- Brenee King, Yu Jiang, Xiaoyu Su, Jianteng Xu, Linglin Xie, Joseph Standard, and Weiqun Wang, “Weight control, endocrine hormones and cancer prevention,” Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 238, no. 5, pp. 502–508, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Pioglitazone does not affect the risk of ovarian cancer: Analysis of a nationwide reimbursement database in Taiwan,” Gynecologic Oncology, 2013.
- Cheryl L. Rock, Chetna Pande, Shirley W. Flatt, Carl Ying, Bilge Pakiz, Barbara A. Parker, Kathryn Williams, Wayne A. Bardwell, Dennis D. Heath, and Jeanne F. Nichols, “Favorable Changes in Serum Estrogens and Other Biologic Factors After Weight Loss in Breast Cancer Survivors Who are Overweight or Obese,” Clinical Breast Cancer, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 188–195, 2013.
- Hua-Fen Chen, Ming-Der Liu, Peter Chen, Li-Huan Chen, Ya-Hui Chang, Pei-Chun Wen, and Chung-Yi Li, “Risks of Breast and Endometrial Cancer in Women with Diabetes: A Population-Based Cohort Study,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 6, 2013.
- Joyce V. Lee, Supriya A. Shah, and Kathryn E. Wellen, “Obesity, cancer and acetyl-CoA metabolism,” Drug Discovery Today: Disease Mechanisms, 2013.
- A. J. Krentz, A. Viljoen, and A. Sinclair, “Insulin resistance: a risk marker for disease and disability in the older person,” Diabetic Medicine, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 535–548, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Diabetes and thyroid cancer mortality: a 12-year prospective follow-up of Taiwanese,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 595–601, 2013.
- A. B. Crujeiras, A. Díaz-Lagares, M. C. Carreira, M. Amil, and F. F. Casanueva, “Oxidative stress associated to dysfunctional adipose tissue: a potential link between obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus and breast cancer,” Free Radical Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 243–256, 2013.
- K B Greer, A Kresak, B Bednarchik, D Dawson, L Li, A Chak, and J Willis, “Insulin/Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 Pathway in Barrett’s Carcinogenesis,” Clinical and Translational Gastroenterology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. e31, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Diabetes, insulin use, smoking, and pancreatic cancer mortality in Taiwan,” Acta Diabetologica, 2013.
- Kevin P. Keenan, Matthew A. Wallig, and Wanda M. Haschek, “Nature via nurture: Effect of diet on health, obesity, and safety assessment,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 190–209, 2013.
- Jeffrey J. W. Verschuren, Jeanine J. Houwing-Duistermaat, P. Eline Slagboom, J. Wouter Jukema, Stella Trompet, Joris Deelen, David J. Stott, Naveed Sattar, Brendan M. Buckley, Ian Ford, Bastiaan T. Heijmans, and Henk-Jan Guchelaar, “Non-Homologous End-Joining Pathway Associated with Occurrence of Myocardial Infarction: Gene Set Analysis of Genome-Wide Association Study Data,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 2, 2013.
- Ana B. Crujeiras, M. Angeles Zulet, Patricia Lopez-Legarrea, Rocío de la Inglesia, María Pardo, Marcos C. Carreira, J. Alfredo Martínez, and Felipe F. Casanueva, “Association between circulating irisin levels and the promotion of insulin resistance during the weight maintenance period after a dietary weight-lowering program in obese patients,” Metabolism, 2013.
- Lunzhao Yi, Chenchao Song, Zheyu Hu, Lifang Yang, Lanbo Xiao, Bin Yi, Wuzhong Jiang, Ya Cao, and Lunquan Sun, “A metabolic discrimination model for nasopharyngeal carcinoma and its potential role in the therapeutic evaluation of radiotherapy,” Metabolomics, 2013.
- Lionel Hebbard, Stephanie Obeid, and Barbara Ranscht, “Multifaceted roles of Adiponectin in cancer,” Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 2013.
- Veronika M. Gebhart, and Gustav F. Jirikowski, “Estrogen dependent expression of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin in PC 12 cells,” Steroids, 2013.
- Laurent Zelek, Camille Pouchieu, Mathilde His, Serge Hercberg, Pilar Galan, Paule Latino-Martel, and Mathilde Touvier, “Prospective Association between Dietary Fiber Intake and Breast Cancer Risk ,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Amos Pines, “Climacteric Commentaries,” Climacteric, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 601–608, 2013.
- Edward C. Suarez, and Nicole L. Schramm-Sapyta, “Race differences in the relation of vitamins A, C, E and β-carotene to metabolic and inflammatory biomarkers,” Nutrition Research, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Benign prostatic hyperplasia is a significant risk factor for bladder cancer in diabetic patients: A population-based cohort study using the National Health Insurance in Taiwan,” BMC Cancer, vol. 13, 2013.
- Chiranjib Chakraborty, George Priya Doss, and Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay, “miRNAs in insulin resistance and diabetes-associated pancreatic cancer: The 'Minute and Miracle' molecule moving as a monitor in the 'genomic galaxy',” Current Drug Targets, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1110–1117, 2013.
- Zsuzsanna Suba, “Circulatory estrogen level protects against breast cancer in obese women,” Recent Patents on Anti-Cancer Drug Discovery, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 154–167, 2013.
- Hala Ahmadieh, and Sami T. Azar, “Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Oral Diabetic Medications, Insulin Therapy, and Overall Breast Cancer Risk,” ISRN Endocrinology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Samy L. Habib, and Maciej Rojna, “Diabetes and Risk of Cancer,” ISRN Oncology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–16, 2013.
- Rosalyne L. Westley, and Felicity E. B. May, “A Twenty-First Century Cancer Epidemic Caused by Obesity: The Involvement of Insulin, Diabetes, and Insulin-Like Growth Factors,” International Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–37, 2013.
- Lena Secky, Martin Svoboda, Lukas Klameth, Erika Bajna, Gerhard Hamilton, Robert Zeillinger, Walter Jäger, and Theresia Thalhammer, “The Sulfatase Pathway for Estrogen Formation: Targets for the Treatment and Diagnosis of Hormone-Associated Tumors,” Journal of Drug Delivery, vol. 2013, pp. 1–13, 2013.
- Eduardo Luzia Franca, Aline do Carmo Franca-Botelho, Juliana Luzia Franca, and Carlos Kusano Bucalen Ferrari, “Repercussions of Breastfeeding by Diabetic Women for Breast Cancer,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 6233–6239, 2013.
- Shi Sen, Yanzheng He, Daisuke Koya, and Keizo Kanasaki, “Cancer biology in diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes Investigation, 2014.
- Pikli Batabyal, Stephen Vander Hoorn, Christopher Christophi, and Mehrdad Nikfarjam, “Association of Diabetes Mellitus and Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: A Meta-Analysis of 88 Studies,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, 2014.
- Farn-Hsuan Tseng, “Diabetes and gastric cancer: the potential links,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 1701–1711, 2014.
- E.M. Strage, M.S. Lewitt, J.M. Hanson, U. Olsson, F. Norrvik, I. Lilliehöök, B.S. Holst, and T. Fall, “Relationship among Insulin Resistance, Growth Hormone, and Insulin-Like Growth Factor I Concentrations in Diestrous Swedish Elkhounds,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 2014.
- Yuxin Yang, Yi Wang, Kai Zhou, and An Hong, “Constructing regulatory networks to identify biomarkers for insulin resistance,” Gene, 2014.
- Weiwei Shan, Chengcheng Ning, Xuezhen Luo, Qiongjie Zhou, Chao Gu, Zhenbo Zhang, and Xiaojun Chen, “Hyperinsulinemia is associated with endometrial hyperplasia and disordered proliferative endometrium: A prospective cross-sectional study,” Gynecologic Oncology, 2014.