- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 924168, 7 pages
A Review on the Association between Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Receptor Agonists and Thyroid Cancer
1Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei 10002, Taiwan
2Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei 10002, Taiwan
Received 15 February 2012; Accepted 1 April 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Wei-Yih Chiu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Mojsov, G. C. Weir, and J. F. Habener, “Insulinotropin: glucagon-like peptide I (7-37) co-encoded in the glucagon gene is a potent stimulator of insulin release in the perfused rat pancreas,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 616–619, 1987.
- M. A. Nauck, M. M. Heimesaat, C. Orskov, J. J. Holst, R. Ebert, and W. Creutzfeldt, “Preserved incretin activity of glucagon-like peptide 1 [7-36 amide] but not of synthetic human gastric inhibitory polypeptide in patients with type- 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 301–307, 1993.
- J. B. Buse, J. Rosenstock, G. Sesti et al., “Liraglutide once a day versus exenatide twice a day for type 2 diabetes: a 26-week randomised, parallel-group, multinational, open-label trial (LEAD-6),” The Lancet, vol. 374, no. 9683, pp. 39–47, 2009.
- C. W. Chia and J. M. Egan, “Incretin-based therapies in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 3703–3716, 2008.
- L. Simonsen, J. J. Holst, and C. F. Deacon, “Exendin-4, but not glucagon-like peptide-1, is cleared exclusively by glomerular filtration in anaesthetised pigs,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 706–712, 2006.
- O. G. Kolterman, D. D. Kim, L. Shen et al., “Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and safety of exenatide in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 173–181, 2005.
- K. Madsen, L. B. Knudsen, H. Agersoe et al., “Structure-activity and protraction relationship of long-acting glucagon-like peptide-1 derivatives: importance of fatty acid length, polarity, and bulkiness,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 24, pp. 6126–6132, 2007.
- L. B. Knudsen, P. F. Nielsen, P. O. Huusfeldt et al., “Potent derivatives of glucagon-like peptide-1 with pharmacokinetic properties suitable for once daily administration,” Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1664–1669, 2000.
- H. Agersø, L. B. Jensen, B. Elbrønd, P. Rolan, and M. Zdravkovic, “The pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, safety and tolerability of NN2211, a new long-acting GLP-1 derivative, in healthy men,” Diabetologia, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 195–202, 2002.
- B. Gier, P. C. Butler, C. K. Lai, D. Kirakossian, M. M. DeNicola, and M. W. Yeh, “Glucagon like peptide-1 receptor expression in the human thyroid gland,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 121–131, 2012.
- L. B. Knudsen, L. W. Madsen, S. Andersen et al., “Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists activate rodent thyroid C-cells causing calcitonin release and C-cell proliferation,” Endocrinology, vol. 151, no. 4, pp. 1473–1486, 2010.
- “Victoza (liraglutide injection): Human relevance of rodent thyroid C-cell tumors,” 2009, http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/Committees%20MeetingMaterials/Drugs/EndocrinologicandMetabolicDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM151129.pdf.
- M. Parks and C. Rosebraugh, “Weighing risks and benefits of liraglutide—the FDA's review of a new antidiabetic therapy,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 362, no. 9, pp. 774–777, 2010.
- C. H. Tseng, C. P. Tseng, C. K. Chong et al., “Increasing incidence of diagnosed type 2 diabetes in Taiwan: analysis of data from a national cohort,” Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1755–1760, 2006.
- C. H. Tseng, “Mortality and causes of death in a national sample of diabetic patients in Taiwan,” Diabetes Care, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1605–1609, 2004.
- C.-H. Tseng, “Diabetes and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: analyses of prevalence and annual incidence in 2005 using the national health insurance database in Taiwan,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 23, no. 1, Article ID mdr334, pp. 153–158, 2012.
- C.-H. Tseng, “Pioglitazone and bladder cancer: a population-based study of Taiwanese,” Diabetes Care, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 278–280, 2012.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes and risk of bladder cancer: a study using the National Health Insurance database in Taiwan,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 2009–2015, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes conveys a higher risk of gastric cancer mortality despite an age-standardised decreasing trend in the general population in Taiwan,” Gut, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 774–779, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, “Diabetes and risk of prostate cancer: a study using the National Health Insurance,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 616–621, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, “Prostate cancer mortality in Taiwanese men: increasing age-standardized trend in general population and increased risk in diabetic men,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 142–150, 2011.
- C. H. Tseng, C. K. Chong, C. P. Tseng, and T. T. Chan, “Age-related risk of mortality from bladder cancer in diabetic patients: a 12-year follow-up of a national cohort in Taiwan,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 371–379, 2009.
- C. H. Tseng, C. K. Chong, and T. Y. Tai, “Secular trend for mortality from breast cancer and the association between diabetes and breast cancer in Taiwan between 1995 and 2006,” Diabetologia, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 240–246, 2009.
- P. Vigneri, F. Frasca, L. Sciacca, G. Pandini, and R. Vigneri, “Diabetes and cancer,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1103–1123, 2009.
- E. Giovannucci, D. M. Harlan, M. C. Archer et al., “Diabetes and cancer: a consensus report,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1674–1685, 2010.
- J. A. Dormandy, B. Charbonnel, D. J. Eckland et al., “Secondary prevention of macrovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes in the PROactive Study (PROspective pioglitAzone Clinical Trial in macroVascular Events): a randomised controlled trial,” The Lancet, vol. 366, no. 9493, pp. 1279–1289, 2005.
- J. Dormandy, M. Bhattacharya, and A. R. Van Troostenburg De Bruyn, “Safety and tolerability of pioglitazone in high-risk patients with type 2 diabetes: an overview of data from PROactive,” Drug Safety, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 187–202, 2009.
- R. Elisei, V. Bottici, F. Luchetti et al., “Impact of routine measurement of serum calcitonin on the diagnosis and outcome of medullary thyroid cancer: experience in 10,864 patients with nodular thyroid disorders,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 1, pp. 163–168, 2004.
- A. Machens, F. Hoffmann, C. Sekulla, and H. Dralle, “Importance of gender-specific calcitonin thresholds in screening for occult sporadic medullary thyroid cancer,” Endocrine-Related Cancer, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1291–1298, 2009.
- G. Costante, D. Meringolo, C. Durante et al., “Predictive value of serum calcitonin levels for preoperative diagnosis of medullary thyroid carcinoma in a cohort of 5817 consecutive patients with thyroid nodules,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 450–455, 2007.
- Y. Lamari, C. Boissard, M. S. Moukhtar, A. Jullienne, G. Rosselin, and J. M. Garel, “Expression of glucagon-like peptide 1 receptor in a murine C cell line: regulation of calcitonin gene by glucagon-like peptide 1,” FEBS Letters, vol. 393, no. 2-3, pp. 248–252, 1996.
- A. Crespel, F. De Boisvilliers, L. Gros, and A. Kervran, “Effects of glucagon and glucagon-like peptide-1-(7-36) amide on C cells from rat thyroid and medullary thyroid carcinoma CA-77 cell line,” Endocrinology, vol. 137, no. 9, pp. 3674–3680, 1996.
- L. W. Madsen, J. A. Knauf, C. Gotfredsen et al., “GLP-1 receptor agonists and the thyroid: C-cell effects in mice are mediated via the GLP-1 receptor and not associated with RET activation,” Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 1538–1547, 2012.
- L. Hegedüs, A. C. Moses, M. Zdravkovic, T. Le Thi, and G. H. Daniels, “GLP-1 and calcitonin concentration in humans: lack of evidence of calcitonin release from sequential screening in over 5000 subjects with type 2 diabetes or nondiabetic obese subjects treated with the human GLP-1 analog, liraglutide,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 853–860, 2011.
- I. D. Hay, “Papillary thyroid carcinoma,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 545–576, 1990.
- M. Elashoff, A. V. Matveyenko, B. Gier, R. Elashoff, and P. C. Butler, “Pancreatitis, pancreatic, and thyroid cancer with Glucagon-like peptide-1based therapies,” Gastroenterology, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 150–156, 2011.