- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Diabetes Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 103731, 9 pages
A Novel Rat Model of Type 2 Diabetes: The Zucker Fatty Diabetes Mellitus ZFDM Rat
1Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7-5-1 Kusunoki-cho, Chuo-ku, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
2Division of Molecular and Metabolic Medicine, Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
3Hoshino Laboratory Animals, Inc., Ibaraki 306-0606, Japan
4Animal Research Center, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo 160-8402, Japan
5Japan SLC, Inc., Hamamatsu 431-1103, Japan
6Division of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
7The Integrated Center for Mass Spectrometry, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
Received 22 November 2012; Accepted 4 January 2013
Academic Editor: Takahisa Yamada
Copyright © 2013 Norihide Yokoi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Goto, M. Kakizaki, and N. Masaki, “Spontaneous diabetes produced by selective breeding of normal Wistar rats,” Proceedings of the Japan Academy, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 80–85, 1975.
- K. Kawano, T. Hirashima, S. Mori, Y. Saitoh, M. Kurosumi, and T. Natori, “Spontaneous long-term hyperglycemic rat with diabetic complications. Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) strain,” Diabetes, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1422–1428, 1992.
- M. Shinohara, T. Masuyama, T. Shoda et al., “A new spontaneously diabetic non-obese torii rat strain with severe ocular complications,” International Journal of Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 89–100, 2000.
- T. Masuyama, Y. Katsuda, and M. Shinohara, “A novel model of obesity-related diabetes: introgression of the Leprfa allele of the Zucker fatty rat into nonobese Spontaneously Diabetic Torii (SDT) rats,” Experimental Animals, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2005.
- H. Ikeda, A. Shino, T. Matsuo, H. Iwatsuka, and Z. Suzuoki, “A new genetically obese-hyperglycemic rat (Wistar fatty),” Diabetes, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1045–1050, 1981.
- R. G. Peterson, W. N. Shaw, M. A. Neel, L. A. Little, and J. Eichberg, “Zucker diabetic fatty rat as a model for non-insulindependent diabetes mellitus,” ILAR News, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 16–19, 1990.
- K. P. Hummel, M. M. Dickie, and D. L. Coleman, “Diabetes, a new mutation in the mouse,” Science, vol. 153, no. 3740, pp. 1127–1128, 1966.
- M. Nishimura, “Breeding of mice strains for diabetes mellitus,” Jikken Dobutsu, vol. 18, pp. 147–157, 1969.
- M. Shibata and B. Yasuda, “New experimental congenital diabetic mice (N.S.Y. mice),” Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 139–142, 1980.
- M. Bielschowsky and C. M. Goodall, “Origin of inbred NZ mouse strains,” Cancer Research, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 834–836, 1970.
- J. H. Kim, A. Sen, C. S. Avery et al., “Genetic analysis of a new mouse model for non-insulin-dependent diabetes,” Genomics, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 273–286, 2001.
- W. Suzuki, S. Iizuka, M. Tabuchi et al., “A new mouse model of spontaneous diabetes derived from ddY strain,” Experimental Animals, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 181–189, 1999.
- T. Akimoto, K. Nakama, Y. Katsuta et al., “Characterization of a novel congenic strain of diabetic fatty (WBN/Kob-Leprfa) rat,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 366, no. 2, pp. 556–562, 2008.
- L. M. Zucker and T. F. Zucker, “Fatty, a new mutation in the rat,” Journal of Heredity, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 275–278, 1961.
- N. Yokoi, S. Hidaka, S. Tanabe, et al., “Role of major histocompatibility complex class II in the development of autoimmune type 1 diabetes and thyroiditis in rats,” Genes and Immunity, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 139–145, 2012.
- U. Janssen, A. O. Phillips, and J. Floege, “Rodent models of nephropathy associated with type II diabetes,” Journal of Nephrology, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 159–172, 1999.
- V. Brussee, G. Guo, Y. Dong et al., “Distal degenerative sensory neuropathy in a long-term type 2 diabetes rat model,” Diabetes, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1664–1673, 2008.
- B. Dubern and K. Clement, “Leptin and leptin receptor-related monogenic obesity,” Biochimie, vol. 94, no. 10, pp. 2111–2115, 2012.
- J. Nizard, M. Dommergues, and K. Clement, “Pregnancy in a woman with a leptin-receptor mutation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 366, no. 11, pp. 1064–1065, 2012.
- I. Mazen, M. El-Gammal, M. Abdel-Hamid, I. S. Farooqi, and K. Amr, “Homozygosity for a novel missense mutation in the leptin receptor gene (P316T) in two Egyptian cousins with severe early onset obesity,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 461–464, 2011.
- A. M. Chelich and E. S. Edmonds, “Copulatory behavior and reproductive capacity of the genetically obese female Zucker rat,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 331–335, 1981.
- R. Kava, M. R. C. Greenwood, and P. R. Johnson, “Zucker (fa/fa) rat,” ILAR News, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 4–8, 1990.