- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Diabetes Research
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 498925, 13 pages
Glomerulopathy in the KK.Cg-Ay/J Mouse Reflects the Pathology of Diabetic Nephropathy
Tissue Protection and Repair, Genzyme, A Sanofi Company, 49 New York Ave., Framingham, MA 01701, USA
Received 23 January 2013; Accepted 15 March 2013
Academic Editor: Daisuke Koya
Copyright © 2013 Stephen P. O'Brien et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. J. Collins, R. N. Foley, B. Chavers, et al., “US renal data system 2011 Annual data report,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. e1–e26, 2012.
- A. Whaley-Connell, J. R. Sowers, P. A. McCullough et al., “Diabetes mellitus and CKD awareness: the kidney early evaluation program (KEEP) and national health and nutrition examination survey (NHANES),” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. S11–S21, 2009.
- P. Fioretto and M. Mauer, “Histopathology of diabetic nephropathy,” Seminars in Nephrology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 195–207, 2007.
- T. W. C. Tervaert, A. L. Mooyaart, K. Amann et al., “Pathologic classification of diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 556–563, 2010.
- G. R. Reddy, K. Kotlyarevska, R. F. Ransom, and R. K. Menon, “The podocyte and diabetes mellitus: is the podocyte the key to the origins of diabetic nephropathy?” Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 32–36, 2008.
- H. Makino, Y. Miyamoto, K. Sawai et al., “Altered gene expression related to glomerulogenesis and podocyte structure in early diabetic nephropathy of db/db mice and its restoration by pioglitazone,” Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 2747–2756, 2006.
- M. Toyoda, B. Najafian, Y. Kim, M. L. Caramori, and M. Mauer, “Podocyte detachment and reduced glomerular capillary endothelial fenestration in human type 1 diabetic nephropathy,” Diabetes, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 2155–2160, 2007.
- M. E. Pagtalunan, P. L. Miller, S. Jumping-Eagle et al., “Podocyte loss and progressive glomerular injury in type II diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 342–348, 1997.
- K. E. White, R. W. Bilous, and On Behalf of the Diabiopsies Study Group, “Structural alterations to the podocyte are related to proteinuria in type 2 diabetic patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1437–1440, 2004.
- M. D. Breyer, E. Böttinger, F. C. Brosius et al., “Mouse models of diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 27–45, 2005.
- F. C. Brosius, C. E. Alpers, E. P. Bottinger et al., “Mouse models of diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2503–2512, 2009.
- C. Rüster and G. Wolf, “Models of diabetic nephropathy,” Drug Discovery Today, vol. 7, no. 1-2, pp. 35–41, 2010.
- M. J. Soler, M. Riera, and D. Batlle, “New experimental models of diabetic nephropathy in mice models of type 2 diabetes: efforts to replicate human nephropathy,” Experimental Diabetes Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 218917, 9 pages, 2012.
- M. D. Breyer, “Progress in progression?” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1414–1416, 2010.
- D. Schlöndorff, “Choosing the right mouse model for diabetic nephropathy,” Kidney International, vol. 77, no. 9, pp. 749–750, 2010.
- A. R. Diani, G. A. Sawada, B. A. Hannah et al., “Analysis of pancreatic islet cells and hormone content in the spontaneously diabetic KK mouse by morphometry, immunocytochemistry and radioimmunoassay,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 412, no. 1, pp. 53–61, 1987.
- G. Chakraborty, S. Thumpayil, D. E. Lafontant, W. Woubneh, and J. H. Toney, “Age dependence of glucose tolerance in adult KK-A y mice, a model of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus,” Lab Animal, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 364–368, 2009.
- T. Yamazaki, M. Tanimoto, T. Gohda et al., “Combination effects of enalapril and losartan on lipid peroxidation in the kidneys of KK-/Ta mice,” Nephron, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. e66–e76, 2009.
- A. R. Diani, G. A. Sawada, N. Y. Zhang et al., “The KKA(y) mouse: a model for the rapid development of glomerular capillary basement membrane thickening,” Blood Vessels, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 297–303, 1987.
- M. Okazaki, Y. Saito, Y. Udaka et al., “Diabetic nephropathy in KK and KK- mice,” Experimental Animals, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 191–196, 2002.
- T. Ito, M. Tanimoto, K. Yamada et al., “Glomerular changes in the KK-/Ta mouse: a possible model for human type 2 diabetic nephropathy,” Nephrology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 2006.
- T. Shiuchi, T. X. Cui, L. Wu et al., “ACE inhibitor improves insulin resistance in diabetic mouse via bradykinin and NO,” Hypertension, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 329–334, 2002.
- M. Sasaki, S. Uehara, H. Ohta et al., “Losartan ameliorates progression of glomerular structural changes in diabetic KK mice,” Life Sciences, vol. 75, no. 7, pp. 869–880, 2004.
- M. Matsumoto, M. Tanimoto, T. Gohda et al., “Effect of pitavastatin on type 2 diabetes mellitus nephropathy in KK-/Ta mice,” Metabolism, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 691–697, 2008.
- I. Ohara, M. Tanimoto, T. Gohda et al., “Effect of combination therapy with angiotensin receptor blocker and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in type 2 diabetic nephropathy in KK-A y/Ta mice,” Nephron, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. e124–e132, 2011.
- L. F. Fried, W. Duckworth, J. H. Zhang et al., “Design of combination angiotensin receptor blocker and angiotensin- converting enzyme inhibitor for treatment of diabetic nephropathy (VA NEPHRON-D),” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 361–368, 2009.
- H.-H. Parving, B. M. Brenner, J. J. V. McMurray et al., “Aliskiren trial in type 2 diabetes using cardio-renal endpoints (ALTITUDE): rationale and study design,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1663–1671, 2009.
- J. I. Suto, S. Matsuura, K. Imamura, H. Yamanaka, and K. Sekikawa, “Genetic analysis of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in KK and KK-A(y) mice,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 139, no. 6, pp. 654–661, 1998.
- H. Ninomiya, T. Inomata, and K. Ogihara, “Obstructive uropathy and hydronephrosis in male KK- mice: a report of cases,” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 53–57, 1999.
- M. Nakamura and K. Yamada, “Studies on a diabetic (KK) strain of the mouse,” Diabetologia, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 212–221, 1967.
- B. Becker, F. Kronenberg, J. T. Kielstein et al., “Renal insulin resistance syndrome, adiponectin and cardiovascular events in patients with kidney disease: the mild and moderate kidney disease study,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 1091–1098, 2005.
- H. Ha, E. Y. Oh, and H. B. Lee, “The role of plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 in renal and cardiovascular diseases,” Nature Reviews Nephrology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 203–211, 2009.
- J. H. Chang, S. Y. Paik, L. Mao, et al., “Diabetic kidney disease in FVB/NJ Akita mice: temporal pattern of kidney injury and urinary nephrin excretion,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 4, Article ID e33942.
- Y. Wang, S. Zhao, S. Loyd, and L. J. Groome, “Increased urinary excretion of nephrin, podocalyxin, and betaig-h3 in women with preeclampsia,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 302, no. 9, pp. F1084–F1089, 2012.
- V. S. Vaidya, V. Ramirez, T. Ichimura, N. A. Bobadilla, and J. V. Bonventre, “Urinary kidney injury molecule-1: a sensitive quantitative biomarker for early detection of kidney tubular injury,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 290, no. 2, pp. F517–F529, 2006.
- V. S. Sabbisetti, K. Ito, C. Wang, et al., “Novel assays for detection of urinary Kim-1 in mouse models of kidney injury,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 13–25, 2013.
- P. Ronco, “Proteinuria: is it all in the foot?” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 117, no. 8, pp. 2079–2082, 2007.
- V. D. D'Agati, “Podocyte injury in focal segmental glomerulosclerosis: lessons from animal models (a play in five acts),” Kidney International, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 399–406, 2008.
- F. T. H. Lee, Z. Cao, D. M. Long et al., “Interactions between angiotensin II and NF-κB-dependent pathways in modulating macrophage infiltration in experimental diabetic nephropathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 2139–2151, 2004.
- M. Nagata, K. Scharer, and W. Kriz, “Glomerular damage after uninephrectomy in young rats. I. Hypertrophy and distortion of capillary architecture,” Kidney International, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 136–147, 1992.
- J. M. Turner, C. Bauer, M. K. Abramowitz, M. L. Melamed, and T. H. Hostetter, “Treatment of chronic kidney disease,” Kidney International, vol. 81, pp. 351–362, 2012.
- J. A. Chavez and S. A. Summers, “Lipid oversupply, selective insulin resistance, and lipotoxicity: molecular mechanisms,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1801, no. 3, pp. 252–265, 2010.
- M. N. Jensen and M. Ritskes-Hoitinga, “How isoflavone levels in common rodent diets can interfere with the value of animal models and with experimental results,” Laboratory Animals, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2007.
- K. D. R. Setchell, “Phytoestrogens: the biochemistry, physiology, and implications for human health of soy isoflavones,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 68, supplement 6, pp. 1333S–1346S, 1998.
- K. Sharma, S. RamachandraRao, G. Qiu et al., “Adiponectin regulates albuminuria and podocyte function in mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 1645–1656, 2008.
- A. A. Eddy and A. B. Fogo, “Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in chronic kidney disease: evidence and mechanisms of action,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2999–3012, 2006.
- R. B. Goldberg, “Cytokine and cytokine-like inflammation markers, endothelial dysfunction, and imbalanced coagulation in development of diabetes and its complications,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 3171–3182, 2009.
- D. P. K. Ng, B. C. Tai, E. Tan et al., “Nephrinuria associates with multiple renal traits in type 2 diabetes,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 2508–2514, 2011.
- M. A. Saleh, E. I. Boesen, J. S. Pollock, V. J. Savin, and D. M. Pollock, “Endothelin receptor A-specific stimulation of glomerular inflammation and injury in a streptozotocin-induced rat model of diabetes,” Diabetologia, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 979–988, 2011.
- Group CKDW, “VA/DoD clinical practice guideline for the management of chronic kidney disease in primary care. Version 2.0,” in Veterans Health Administration (VHA) DoVAV, Department of Defense (DoD), Ed., Veterans Health Administration and Department of Defense, Washingon DC, USA, 2008.
- National Kidney Foundation, “K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 39, no. 2, supplement 1, pp. S1–S266, 2002.