- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 595626, 8 pages
Predictive Shear Strength Models for Tropical Lateritic Soils
Department of Civil Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Akure, P.M.B. 704, Ondo State, Akure, Nigeria
Received 20 October 2012; Revised 24 January 2013; Accepted 24 January 2013
Academic Editor: Guangming Xie
Copyright © 2013 Oluwapelumi O. Ojuri. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Singh and B. B. K. Huat, “Origin, formation and occurrence of tropical residual soils,” in Tropical Residual Soils Engineering, B. B. K. Huat, G. See-Sew, and F. H. Ali, Eds., Taylor & Francis, London, UK, 2004.
- G. Baldovin, “The shear strength of lateritic soils,” in Proceedings of the Specialty Session on Engineering Properties of Lateritic Soiles of the 7th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, vol. 1, pp. 129–142, Mexico City, Mexico.
- S. Malomo, “The compressibility characteristics of a compacted laterite soil,” Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 151–154, 1981.
- S. Malomo, “Stress-strain behaviour of some compacted laterite soils from north-east Brazil,” Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 1983.
- S. Malomo, “Microstructural investigation on latérite soils,” Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 105–109, 1989.
- O. Ogunsanwo, “Variability in the shear strength characteristics af an amphibolite derived laterite soil,” Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology, no. 32, pp. 111–115, 1985.
- M. D. Gidigasu, Laterite Soil Engineering-Pedogenesis and Engineering Principles, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1976.
- S. Malomo, “Stress-strain behaviour of some compacted laterite soils,” Revista Brasileira da Geologia, vol. 2, 1980.
- R. M. Madu, “An investigation into the geotechnical and engineering properties of some laterites of Eastern Nigeria,” Engineering Geology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 101–125, 1977.
- S. A. Ola, “Geotechnical properties and behaviour of some stabilized Nigerian lateritic soils,” Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, vol. 11, pp. 145–160, 1978.
- S. A. Ola, “Permeability of three compacted tropical soils,” Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 87–95, 1980.
- S. A. Ola, “Geotechnical properties and behaviour of some Nigerian lateritic soils,” in Tropical Soils of Nigeria in Engineering Practice, S. A. Ola, Ed., pp. 61–84, A. A. Balkema, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 1983.
- O. Ogunsanwo, “Basic index properties, mineralogy and microstructure of an amphibolite derived laterite soil,” Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 19–25, 1986.
- O. Ogunsanwo, “Some geotechnical properties of two laterite soils compacted at different energies,” Engineering Geology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 261–269, 1989.
- S. Malomo, “Penetration resistance and basic engineering properties of laterite profile soils,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Association of Engineering Geology Congress (IAEG '86), pp. 821–828, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1986.
- E. A. Mesida, “The relationship between the geology and the lateritic engineering soils in the northern environs of Akure, Nigeria,” Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 65–69, 1987.
- M. Fall, J. P. Tisot, and I. K. Cisse, “Specifications for road design using statistical data, an example of laterite or gravel lateritic soils from Senegal,” Bulletin of the International Association of Engineering Geology, vol. 50, pp. 17–35, 1994.
- L. Miao, S. Liu, and Y. Lai, “Research of soil-water characteristics and shear strength features of Nanyang expansive soil,” Engineering Geology, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 261–267, 2002.
- M. A. Tekinsoy, C. Kayadelen, M. S. Keskin, and M. Söylemez, “An equation for predicting shear strength envelope with respect to matric suction,” Computers and Geotechnics, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 589–593, 2004.
- S. Nam, M. Gutierrez, P. Diplas, and J. Petrie, “Determination of the shear strength of unsaturated soils using the multistage direct shear test,” Engineering Geology, vol. 122, no. 3-4, pp. 272–280, 2011.
- A. Zhou, D. Sheng, S. W. Sloan, and A. Antonio Gens, “Interpretation of unsaturated soil behaviour in the stress—Saturation space, I: volume change and water retention behavior,” Computers and Geotechnics, vol. 43, pp. 178–187, 2012.
- B. S. Narendra, P. V. Sivapullaiah, S. Suresh, and S. N. Omkar, “Prediction of unconfined compressive strength of soft grounds using computational intelligence techniques: a comparative study,” Computers and Geotechnics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 196–208, 2006.
- M. Ajdari, G. Habibagahi, and A. Ghahramani, “Predicting effective stress parameter of unsaturated soils using neural networks,” Computers and Geotechnics, vol. 40, pp. 89–96, 2012.
- G. R. Khanlari, M. Heidari, A. A. Momeni, and Y. Abdilor, “Prediction of shear strength parameters of soils using artificial neural networks and multivariate regression methods,” Engineering Geology, vol. 131-132, pp. 11–18, 2012.
- V. N. S. Murthy, Geotechnical Engineering: Principles and Practices of Foundation Engineering, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 2009.
- E. S. Reddy and K. R. Sastri, Measurement of Engineering Properties of Soils, New Age International, New Delhi, India, 1st edition, 2002.
- “Method of test for soil for civil engineering purpose,” BS 1377, British Standard Institute, London, UK, 1990.
- “Code of practice for site investigations,” BS 5930, British Standard Institute, London, UK, 1999.
- B. M. Das, Principles of Geotechnical Engineering, Thomson Learning, Stamford, Conn, USA, 5th edition, 2001.