- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 596078, 10 pages
Vibration Control of Buildings Using Magnetorheological Damper: A New Control Algorithm
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Western University, Canada
Received 31 December 2012; Revised 1 April 2013; Accepted 2 April 2013
Academic Editor: Lucian Dascalescu
Copyright © 2013 Aly Mousaad Aly. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. W. Housner, L. A. Bergman, T. K. Caughey et al., “Structural control: past, present, and future,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 123, no. 9, pp. 897–971, 1997.
- T. T. Soong, Active Structural Control: Theory and Practice, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1990.
- S. J. Dyke, B. F. Spencer, P. Quast, D. C. Kaspari, and M. K. Sain, “Implementation of an active mass driver using acceleration feedback control,” Microcomputers in Civil Engineering, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 305–323, 1996.
- H. Nishimura and A. Kojima, “Active vibration isolation control for a multi-degree-of-freedom structure with uncertain base dynamics,” JSME International Journal C, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 37–45, 1998.
- J. C. Wu and B. C. Pan, “Wind tunnel verification of actively controlled high-rise building in along-wind motion,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 90, no. 12–15, pp. 1933–1950, 2002.
- L. T. Lu, W. L. Chiang, J. P. Tang, M. Y. Liu, and C. W. Chen, “Active control for a benchmark building under wind excitations,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 469–493, 2003.
- A. M. Aly, A. Zasso, and F. Resta, “Dynamics and control of high-rise buildings under multidirectional wind loads,” Smart Materials Research, vol. 2011, Article ID 549621, 15 pages, 2011.
- A. M. Aly, “Proposed robust tuned mass damper for response mitigation in buildings exposed to multidirectional wind,” Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, 2013.
- B. F. Spencer, G. Yang, J. D. Carlson, and M. K. Sain, “Large-scale MR fluid dampers: modeling and dynamic performance considerations,” Engineering Structures, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 309–323, 2002.
- K. D. Weiss and J. D. Carlson, “A growing attraction to magnetic fluids,” Machine Design, vol. 66, no. 15, pp. 61–64, 1994.
- T. C. Halsey, “Electrorheological fluids,” Science, vol. 258, no. 5083, pp. 761–766, 1992.
- S. J. Dyke, B. F. Spencer, M. K. Sain, and J. D. Carlson, “Modeling and control of magnetorheological dampers for seismic response reduction,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 565–575, 1996.
- A. M. Aly, Vibration control in structures due to earthquake effects using MR damper [M.S. thesis], Department of Mechanical Engineering, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt, 2005.
- H. J. Jung, K. M. Choi, B. F. Spencer Jr., and I. W. Lee, “Application of some semi-active control algorithms to a smart base-isolated building employing MR dampers,” Structural Control and Health Monitoring, vol. 13, no. 2-3, pp. 693–704, 2006.
- F. D. Goncalves, J. H. Koo, and M. Ahmadian, “A review of the state of the art in magnetorheological fluid technologies—part I: MR fluid and MR fluid models,” Shock and Vibration Digest, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 203–219, 2006.
- H. Metwally, B. El-Souhily, and A. Aly, “Reducing vibration effects on buildings due to earthquake using magneto-rheological dampers,” Alexandria Engineering Journal, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 131–140, 2006.
- Y. S. Cheng, F. T. K. Au, and J. P. Zhong, “Semi-active control of ship mast vibrations using magneto-rheological dampers,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 679–698, 2008.
- A. M. Aly and R. E. Christenson, “On the evaluation of the efficacy of a smart damper: a new equivalent energy-based probabilistic approach,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 17, no. 4, Article ID 045008, 2008.
- W. J. Wu and C. S. Cai, “Cable vibration control with a semiactive MR damper-numerical simulation and experimental verification,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 611–623, 2010.
- A. M. Aly, A. Zasso, and F. Resta, “On the dynamics of a very slender building under winds: response reduction using MR dampers with lever mechanism,” Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 539–551, 2011.
- B. F. Spencer, J. D. Carlson, M. K. Sain, and G. Yang, “On the current status of magnetorheological dampers: seismic protection of full-scale structures,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pp. 458–462, Albuquerque, NM, USA, June 1997.
- A. Rodríguez, N. Iwata, F. Ikhouane, and J. Rodellar, “Model identification of a large-scale magnetorheological fluid damper,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 18, no. 1, Article ID 015010, 2009.
- F. Weber, G. Feltrin, and H. Distl, “Detailed analysis and modelling of MR dampers at zero current,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 787–790, 2008.
- A. M. Aly and R. E. Christenson, “Fast hybrid testing of controlled smart dampers for nonlinear structures under earthquakes,” Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. In press.
- L. M. Jansen and S. J. Dyke, “Semiactive control strategies for MR dampers: comparative study,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 126, no. 8, pp. 795–803, 2000.
- L. A. Zadeh, “Fuzzy sets as a basis for a theory of possibility,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3–28, 1978.
- K. Ogata, Modern Control Engineering, Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 1996.
- G. Leitmann, “Semiactive control for vibration attenuation,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 841–846, 1994.
- N. H. McClamroch and H. P. Gavin, “Closed loop structural control using electroheological dampers,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pp. 4173–4177, Seattle, Wash, USA, June 1995.
- S. J. Dyke, B. F. Spencer, M. K. Sain, and J. D. Carlson, “Experimental verification of semiactive structural control strategies using acceleration feedback,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control, vol. 3, pp. 291–296, Chiba, Japan, September 1996.
- S. J. Dyke, B. F. Spencer Jr., M. K. Sain, and J. D. Carlson, “Seismic response reduction using magnetorheological dampers,” in Proceedings of the IFAC World Congress, vol. 150, pp. 145–150, San Francisco, Calif, USA, June 1996.
- L. R. Barroso, S. Hunt, and J. G. Chase, “Application of magneto-rheological dampers for multi-level seismic hazard mitigation of hystretic structures,” in Proceedings of the 15th ASCE Engineering Mechanics Conference, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- S. J. Dyke, B. F. Spencer, P. Quast, and M. K. Sain, “Role of control-structure interaction in protective system design,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 322–338, 1995.
- J. L. Coffman and C. A. von Hake, Earthquake History of the United States, Publication 41-1, United States Department of Commerce/United States Department of the Interior, 1970.
- B. Erkus and E. A. Johnson, “Dissipativity analysis of the base isolated benchmark structure with magnetorheological fluid dampers,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 20, no. 10, Article ID 105001, 2011.