- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 784681, 8 pages
Melting of Nanoprticle-Enhanced Phase Change Material inside Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Golestan University, P.O. Box 155, Gorgan, Iran
2School of Mechanical Engineering, Babol University of Technology, P.O. Box 484, Babol, Iran
Received 18 November 2012; Accepted 22 January 2013
Academic Editor: Ahmed Mezrhab
Copyright © 2013 Seiyed Mohammad Javad Hosseini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Zalba, J. M. Marín, L. F. Cabeza, and H. Mehling, “Review on thermal energy storage with phase change: materials, heat transfer analysis and applications,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 251–283, 2003.
- M. M. Farid, A. M. Khudhair, S. Al-Hallaj, and S. A. K. Razack, “A review on phase change energy storage: materials and applications,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 45, no. 9-10, pp. 1597–1615, 2004.
- H. Ettouney, H. El-Dessouky, and E. Al-Kandari, “Heat transfer characteristics during melting and solidification of phase change energy storage process,” Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 43, no. 17, pp. 5350–5357, 2004.
- R. V. Seeniraj, R. Velraj, and N. L. Narasimhan, “Thermal analysis of a finned-tube LHTS module for a solar dynamic power system,” Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 38, no. 4-5, pp. 409–417, 2002.
- M. J. Hosseini, A. A. Ranjbar, K. Sedighi, and M. Rahimi, “A combined experimental and computational study on the melting behavior of a medium temperature phase change storage material inside shell and tube heat exchanger,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1416–1424, 2012.
- N. R. Vyshak and G. Jilani, “Numerical analysis of latent heat thermal energy storage system,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 2161–2168, 2007.
- H. A. Adine and H. E. Qarnia, “Numerical analysis of the thermal behaviour of a shell-and-tube heat storage unit using phase change materials,” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 2132–2144, 2009.
- H. Masuda, A. Ebata, K. Teramae, and N. Hishinuma, “Alteration of thermal conductivity and viscosity of liquid by dispersing ultra-fine particles,” Netsu Bussei, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 227–233, 1993.
- S. U. S. Choi and J. A. Eastman, “Enhancing thermal conductivity of fluids with nanoparticles,” in Proceedings of the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exhibition, vol. 231, pp. 99–105, November 1995.
- M. Rahimi, A. A. Ranjbar, M. J. Hosseini, and M. Abdollahzadeh, “Natural convection of nanoparticle-water mixture near its density inversion in a rectangular enclosure,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 131–137, 2012.
- J. M. Khodadadi and S. F. Hosseinizadeh, “Nanoparticle-enhanced phase change materials (NEPCM) with great potential for improved thermal energy storage,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 534–543, 2007.
- A. A. Ranjbar, S. Kashani, S. F. Hosseinizadeh, and M. Ghanbarpour, “Numerical heat transfer studies of a latent heat storage system containing nano-enhanced phase change material,” Thermal Science, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 169–181, 2011.
- S. F. Hosseinizadeh, A. A. Rabienataj Darzi, and F. L. Tan, “Numerical investigations of unconstrained melting of nano-enhanced phase change material (NEPCM) inside a spherical container,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 51, pp. 77–78, 2012.
- J. M. Khodadadi and L. Fan, “Expedited freezing of nanoparticle-enhanced phase change materials (NEPCM) exhibited through a simple 1-D stefan problem formulation,” in ASME Heat Transfer Summer Conference (HT '09), vol. 1 of ASME Conference Proceedings, pp. 345–351, July 2009.
- S. Wu, D. Zhu, X. Zhang, and J. Huang, “Preparation and melting/freezing characteristics of Cu/paraffin nanofluid as phase-change material (PCM),” Energy and Fuels, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1894–1898, 2010.
- S. Wu, D. Zhu, X. Li, H. Li, and J. Lei, “Thermal energy storage behavior of Al2O3-H2O nanofluids,” Thermochimica Acta, vol. 483, no. 1-2, pp. 73–77, 2009.
- A. D. Brent, V. R. Voller, and K. J. Reid, “Enthalpy-porosity technique for modeling convection-diffusion phase change: application to the melting of a pure metal,” Numerical Heat Transfer, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 297–318, 1988.
- Z. X. Gong, S. Devahastin, and A. S. Mujumdar, “Enhanced heat transfer in free convection-dominated melting in a rectangular cavity with an isothermal vertical wall,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1237–1251, 1999.
- V. R. Voller and C. Prakash, “A fixed grid numerical modelling methodology for convection-diffusion mushy region phase-change problems,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1709–1719, 1987.
- H. C. Brinkman, “The viscosity of concentrated suspensions and solutions,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 20, no. 4, p. 571, 1952.
- N. Wakao and S. Kaguei, Heat and Mass Transfer in Packed Beds, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 1982.
- J. M. Khodadadi and Y. Zhang, “Effects of buoyancy-driven convection on melting within spherical containers,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1605–1618, 2001.
- S. V. Patankar, Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Hemisphere, Washington, DC, USA, 1980.
- J. H. Ferziger and M. Peric, Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics, Springer, 2002.
- F. Agyenim, P. Eames, and M. Smyth, “A comparison of heat transfer enhancement in a medium temperature thermal energy storage heat exchanger using fins,” Solar Energy, vol. 83, no. 9, pp. 1509–1520, 2009.