- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 953064, 12 pages
Regression Methods for Ophthalmic Glucose Sensing Using Metamaterials
1Institute for System Dynamics, University of Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 9, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
24th Physics Institute, University of Stuttgart, Pfaffenwaldring 57, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Received 31 May 2011; Accepted 5 August 2011
Academic Editor: David Hamilton
Copyright © 2011 Philipp Rapp et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- World Health Organization, Diabetes. Fact Sheet N 312, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2010, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs312/en/.
- Y. C. Shen, A. Davies, E. Linfield, T. Elsey, P. Taday, and D. Arnone, “The use of fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy for the quantitative determination of glucose concentration in whole blood,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 48, no. 13, pp. 2023–2032, 2003.
- J. Zhang, W. Hodge, C. Hutnick, and X. Wang, “Noninvasive diagnostic devices for diabetes through measuring tear glucose,” Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 166–172, 2011.
- J. Wang, “In vivo glucose monitoring: towards 'Sense and Act' feedback-loop individualized medical systems,” Talanta, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 636–641, 2008.
- B. H. Malik and G. L. Coté, “Modeling the corneal birefringence of the eye toward the development of a polarimetric glucose sensor,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 037012–037018, 2010.
- C. O'Donnell, N. Efron, and A. J. M. Boulton, “A prospective study of contact lens wear in diabetes mellitus,” Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 127–138, 2001.
- W. March, B. Long, W. Hofmann, D. Keys, and C. McKenney, “Safety of contact lenses in patients with diabetes,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 49–52, 2004.
- V. L. Alexeev, S. Das, D. N. Finegold, and S. A. Asher, “Photonic crystal glucose-sensing material for noninvasive monitoring of glucose in tear fluid,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 2353–2360, 2004.
- R. Badugu, J. R. Lakowicz, and C. D. Geddes, “Wavelength-ratiometric probes for the selective detection of fluoride based on the 6-aminoquinolinium nucleus and boronic acid moiety,” Journal of Fluorescence, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 693–703, 2004.
- M. R. G. A. Ballerstadt, C. Evans, R. McNichols, and A. Gowda, “Concanavalin a for in vivo glucose sensing: a biotoxicity review,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 275–284, 2006.
- J. B. Pendry, A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, “Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena,” IEEE Transactions on MTT, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 2075–2084, 1999.
- J. B. Pendry, “Negative refraction makes a perfect lens,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 85, no. 18, pp. 3966–3969, 2000.
- J. B. Pendry, D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, “Controlling electromagnetic fields,” Science, vol. 312, no. 5781, pp. 1780–1782, 2006.
- N. Liu, T. Weiss, J. Kästel, M. Fleischhauer, T. Pfau, and H. Giessen, “Plasmonic analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency at the Drude damping limit,” Nature Materials, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 758–762, 2009.
- M. Hentschel, M. Saliba, R. Vogelgesang, H. Giessen, A. P. Alivisatos, and N. Liu, “Transition from isolated to collective modes in plasmonic oligomers,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 2721–2726, 2010.
- M. Hentschel, D. Dregely, R. Vogelgesang, H. Giessen, and N. Liu, “Plasmonic oligomers: the role of individual particles in collective behavior,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 2042–2050, 2011.
- B. Lukyanchuk, N. I. Zheludev, S. A. Maier et al., “The Fano resonance in plasmonic nanostructures and metamaterials,” Nature Materials, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 707–715, 2010.
- Y.-J. Lee, S. A. Pruzinsky, and P. V. Braun, “Glucose-sensitive inverse opal hydrogels: analysis of optical diffraction response,” Langmuir, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 3096–3106, 2004.
- N. Liu, T. Weiss, M. Mesch et al., “Planar metamaterial analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency for plasmonic sensing,” Nano Letters, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1103–1107, 2010.
- N. Liu, H. Guo, L. Fu, S. Kaiser, H. Schweizer, and H. Giessen, “Realization of three-dimensional photonic metamaterials at optical frequencies,” Nature Materials, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 31–37, 2008.
- G. Raschke, S. Kowarik, T. Franzl et al., “Biomolecular recognition based on single gold nanoparticle light scattering,” Nano Letters, vol. 3, no. 7, pp. 935–938, 2003.
- L. J. Sherry, R. Jin, C. A. Mirkin, G. C. Schatz, and R. P. van Duyne, “Localized surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy of single silver triangular nanoprisms,” Nano Letters, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. 2060–2065, 2006.
- D. M. Whittaker and I. S. Culshaw, “Scattering-matrix treatment of patterned multilayer photonic structures,” Physical Review B, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 2610–2618, 1999.
- S. G. Tikhodeev, A. L. Yablonskii, E. A. Muljarov, N. A. Gippius, and T. Ishihara, “Quasiguided modes and optical properties of photonic crystal slabs,” Physical Review B, vol. 66, no. 4, Article ID 045102, pp. 451021–4510217, 2002.
- T. Weiss, G. Granet, N. A. Gippius, S. G. Tikhodeev, and H. Giessen, “Matched coordinates and adaptive spatial resolution in the Fourier modal method,” Optics Express, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 8051–8061, 2009.
- B. Schölkopf and A. J. Smola, Learning with Kernels: Support Vector Machines, Regularization, Optimization, and Beyond, MIT Press, Cambridge, UK, 2002.
- L. Wang, Support Vector Machines: Theory and Applications, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- C. D. Motchenbacher and J. A. Connelly, Low-Noise Electronic System Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- U. Tietze and C. Schenk, Halbleiterschaltungstechnik, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- F. N. Hooge, “1/f noise sources,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 1926–1935, 1994.
- W. L. Clarke, D. Cox, L. A. Gonder-Frederick, W. Carter, and S. L. Pohl, “Evaluating clinical accuracy of systems for self-monitoring of blood glucose,” Diabetes Care, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 622–628, 1987.
- S. A. Asher, V. L. Alexeev, A. V. Goponenko et al., “Photonic crystal carbohydrate sensors: low ionic strength sugar sensing,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 125, no. 11, pp. 3322–3329, 2003.