- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 421307, 20 pages
Video Compression Schemes Using Edge Feature on Wireless Video Sensor Networks
1Graduate School of Engineering and Science, Shibaura Institute of Technology, Saitama 337–8570, Japan
2School of Electronics and Telecommunications, Hanoi University of Science and Technology, Hanoi 112400, Vietnam
3Department of Electronic Information Systems, College of Systems Engineering and Science, Shibaura Institute of Technology, Saitama 337-8570, Japan
Received 4 May 2012; Revised 3 September 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Chi Ko
Copyright © 2012 Phat Nguyen Huu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. F. Akyildiz, T. Melodia, and K. R. Chowdhury, “Wireless multimedia sensor networks: applications and testbeds,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 96, no. 10, pp. 1588–1605, 2008.
- S. Soro and W. Heinzelman, “A survey of visual sensor networks,” Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2009, Article ID 640386, 21 pages, 2009.
- A. Seema and M. Reisslein, “Towards efficient wireless video sensor networks: a survey of existing node architectures and proposal for a flexi-wvsnp design,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 462–486, 2011.
- J. J. Ahmad, H. A. Khan, and S. A. Khayam, “Energy efficient video compression for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS '09), pp. 629–634, March 2009.
- R. Nevatia, “A color edge detector and its use in scene segmentation,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. SMC-7, no. 11, pp. 820–826, 1977.
- M. A. Ruzon and C. Tomasi, “Edge, junction, and corner detection using color distributions,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1281–1295, 2001.
- S. Dutta and B. B. Chaudhuri, “A statistics and local homogeneity based color edge detection algorithm,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Recent Technologies in Communication and Computing (ARTCom '09), pp. 546–548, October 2009.
- A. Koschan and M. Abidi, “Detection and classification of edges in color images,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 64–73, 2005.
- M. Setayesh, M. Zhang, and M. Johnston, “A new homogeneity-based approach to edge detection using PSO,” in Proceedings of the 24th International Conference Image and Vision Computing New Zealand (IVCNZ '09), pp. 231–236, November 2009.
- N. Senthilkumaran and R. Rajesh, “Edge detection techniques for image segmentation–a survey of soft computing approaches,” International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 250–254, 2009.
- R. Maini and H. Aggrawal, “Study and comparison of various image edge detection techniques,” International Journal of Image Processing, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2009.
- D. Ziou and S. Tabbone, “Edge detection techniques-an overview,” International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis, vol. 8, pp. 537–559, 1998.
- B. Tavli, K. Bicakci, R. Zilan, and J. M. Barcelo-Ordinas, “A survey of visual sensor network platforms,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 689–726, 2012.
- J. Hill, M. Horton, R. Kling, and L. Krishnamurthy, “The platforms enabling wireless sensor networks,” Communications of the ACM, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 41–46, 2004.
- C. Chrysafis and A. Ortega, “Line-based, reduced memory, wavelet image compression,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 378–389, 2000.
- D. U. Lee, H. Kim, M. Rahimi, D. Estrin, and J. D. Villasenor, “Energy-efficient image compression for resource-constrained platforms,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 2100–2113, 2009.
- J. Oliver and M. P. Malumbres, “Low-complexity multiresolution image compression using wavelet lower trees,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1437–1444, 2006.
- J. Oliver and M. P. Malumbres, “On the design of fast wavelet transform algorithms with low memory requirements,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 237–248, 2008.
- S. Rein and M. Reisslein, “Low-memory wavelet transforms for wireless sensor networks: a tutorial,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 13, no. 2, Article ID 5618529, pp. 291–307, 2011.
- E. Magli, M. Mancin, and L. Merello, “Low-complexity video compression for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '03), vol. 3, pp. 585–588, July 2003.
- B.-S. Chow, “A limited resources-based approach to coding for wireless video sensor networks,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 9, no. 9, Article ID 5205184, pp. 1118–1124, 2009.
- C. Yeo and K. Ramchandran, “Robust distributed multiview video compression for wireless camera networks,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 995–1008, 2010.
- L. Liu, Z. Li, and E. J. Delp, “Efficient and low-complexity surveillance video compression using backward-channel aware Wyner-Ziv video coding,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 453–465, 2009.
- R. J. Clarke, “Image and video compression: a survey,” International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 20–32, 1999.
- I. W. Selesnick, R. G. Baraniuk, and N. G. Kingsbury, “The dual-tree complex wavelet transform,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 123–151, 2005.
- D. Zhao, Y. K. Chan, and W. Gao, “Low-complexity and low-memory entropy coder for image compression,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1140–1145, 2001.
- I. W. Selesnick, “Hilbert transform pairs of wavelet bases,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 170–173, 2001.
- S. Misra, M. Reisslein, and G. Xue, “A survey of multimedia streaming in wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 18–39, 2008.
- B. Girod, A. M. Aaron, S. Rane, and D. Rebollo-Monedero, “Distributed video coding,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 71–83, 2005.
- Z. Xue, K. K. Loo, J. Cosmas, M. Tun, L. Feng, and P. Y. Yip, “Error-resilient scheme for wavelet video codec using automatic ROI detection and wyner-ziv coding over packet erasure channel,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 481–493, 2010.
- O. Crave, C. Guillemot, B. Pesquet-Popescu, and C. Tillier, “Distributed temporal multiple description coding for robust video transmission,” Eurasip Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2008, Article ID 183536, 2008.
- R. Puri, A. Majumdar, and K. Ramchandran, “PRISM: a video coding paradigm with motion estimation at the decoder,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 2436–2448, 2007.
- F. Pereira, L. Torres, C. Guillemot, T. Ebrahimi, R. Leonardi, and S. Klomp, “Distributed Video Coding: selecting the most promising application scenarios,” Signal Processing, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 339–352, 2008.
- S. K. Naik and C. A. Murthy, “Standardization of edge magnitude in color images,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 2588–2595, 2006.
- P. N. Tudor, “MPEG-2 video compression tutorial,” in Proceedings of IEE Electronics Division Colloquium on MPEG-2 What it is and What it isn't, pp. 2/1–2/8, January 1995.
- X. Lu, E. Erkip, Y. Wang, and D. Goodman, “Power efficient multimedia communication over wireless channels,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1738–1751, 2003.
- S. Yang, W. Wolf, and N. Vijaykrishnan, “Power and performance analysis of motion estimation based on hardware and software realizations,” IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 714–726, 2005.
- W. B. Heinzelman, A. P. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan, “An application-specific protocol architecture for wireless microsensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 660–670, 2002.
- Q. Lu, W. Luo, and X. Ye, “Collaborative in-network processing of LT based image compression algorithm in WMSNs,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science (ETCS '09), pp. 839–843, March 2009.
- Q. Lu, W. Luo, J. Wang, and B. Chen, “Low-complexity and energy efficient image compression scheme for wireless sensor networks,” Computer Networks, vol. 52, no. 13, pp. 2594–2603, 2008.
- D. Varodayan, D. Chen, M. Flierl, and B. Girod, “Wyner-Ziv coding of video with unsupervised motion vector learning,” Signal Processing, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 369–378, 2008.
- T. H. Tran, H. M. Cho, and S. B. Cho, “Performance enhancement of motion estimation using SSE2 technology,” Proceedings of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 40, pp. 168–171, 2009.
- L. H. A. Correia, D. F. Macedo, D. A. C. Silva, A. L. Dos Santos, A. A. F. Loureiro, and J. M. S. Nogueira, “Transmission power control in MAC protocols for wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of the 8th ACM Symposium on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM '05), pp. 282–289, October 2005.
- U. Datta and S. Kundu, “Packet level performance of a CDMA wireless sensor networks in presence of correlated interferers,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computers and Devices for Communication (CODEC '09), pp. 1–4, December 2009.
- T. Wiegand, G. J. Sullivan, G. Bjøntegaard, and A. Luthra, “Overview of the H.264/AVC video coding standard,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 560–576, 2003.
- M. T. Sun and A. R. Reibman, Compressed Video over Networks, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- W. Lin, Video Surveillance, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2011.
- A. Mammeri, A. Khoumsi, D. Ziou, and B. Hadjou, “Modeling and adapting JPEG to the energy requirements of VSN,” in Proceedings of 17th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN '08), pp. 806–811, August 2008.
- H. S. Malvar, “Lapped biorthogonal transforms for transform coding with reduced blocking and ringing artifacts,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP '97), pp. 2421–2424, April 1997.
- H. S. Malvar, “Biorthogonal and nonuniform lapped transforms for transform coding with reduced blocking and ringing artifacts,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1043–1053, 1998.
- H. Abid and S. Qaisar, “Distributed video coding for wireless visual sensor networks using low power Huffman coding,” in Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems (CISS '10), pp. 1–6, March 2010.
- N. Ling, “Expectations and challenges for next generation video compression,” in Proceedings of the 5th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA '10), pp. 2339–2344, June 2010.
- H.264/AVC. Reference software, jm11.0, http://iphome.hhi.de/suehring/tml/.