- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Energy
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 620698, 9 pages
Energy Cost Optimization in a Water Supply System Case Study
1CEHIDRO, Instituto Superior Técnico, 1049-001 Lisbon, Portugal
2Instituto Superior Técnico, 1049-001 Lisbon, Portugal
Received 21 December 2012; Revised 19 March 2013; Accepted 19 March 2013
Academic Editor: S. Venkata Mohan
Copyright © 2013 Daniel F. Moreira and Helena M. Ramos. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Braghiroli, M. B. dos Santos, and D. B. Filho, Estação Elevatória de Água de Santana: Um Caso de Sucesso Na Redução de Perdas E Consumo de Energia No Setor de Saneamento, Cleaner Production Initiatives and Challenges for a Sustainable World, 2011.
- L. H. M. Costa, H. M. Ramos, and M. A. H. Castro, “Hybrid genetic algorithm in the optimization of energy costs in water supply networks,” Engenharia Sanitaria E Ambiental, vol. 15, no. 2, 2010.
- Grundfos, Pump Handbook, Management A/S Grundfos, 2004.
- M. Tsutiya, Redução do Custo de Energia Elétrica em Sistemas de Abastecimento de Água, ABES, 2001.
- M. Tsutiya, Abastecimento De Água, Departamento de Engenharia Hidráulica e Sanitária da USP, São Paulo, Brazil, 2nd edition, 2004.
- P. W. Jowitt and G. Germanopoulos, “Optimal pump scheduling in water-supply networks,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 17–35, 1992.
- D. Burnell, J. Race, and P. Evans, “An overview of the trunk scheduling system for the London Ring Main,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 11-12, pp. 99–109, 1993.
- K. W. Little and B. J. McCrodden, “Minimization of raw water pumping costs using MILP,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, vol. 115, no. 4, pp. 511–522, 1989.
- D. V. Chase and L. E. Ormsbee, “Computer-generated pumping schedules for satisfying operational objectives,” Journal of the American Water Works Association, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 54–61, 1993.
- G. Yu, R. S. Powell, and M. J. H. Sterling, “Optimized pump scheduling in water distribution systems,” Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 463–488, 1994.
- M. J. H. Sterling and B. Coulbeck, “A dynamic programming solution to the optimization of pumping costs, in Hybrid genetic algorithm in the optimization of energy costs in water supply networks,” ICE Proceedings, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 813–818, 1975.
- K. E. Lansey and K. Awumah, “Optimal pump operations considering pump switches,” Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 17–35, 1994.
- D. J. Wood and L. S. Reddy, “Control de bombas de velocidad variable y modelos en tiempo real para minimizar fugas y costes energéticos,” in Mejora del Rendimiento y de la Fiabilidad en Sistemas de Distribución de Agua, pp. 173–207, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Universitat Jaume I de Castellón, Valência, Spain, 1994.
- D. E. Goldberg, Genetic Algorithm is Search Optimization and Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing, Boston, Mass, USA, 1989.
- C. Darwin, On the Origin of Species, Wordsworth Limit, 1998.
- D. Whitley, “A genetic algorithm tutorial,” Statistics and Computing, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 65–85, 1994.
- J. Koljonen and J. T. Alander, Effects of Population Size and Relative Elitism on Optimization Speed and Reliability of Genetic Algorithms, Department of Electrical Engineering and Automation, University of Vaasa, Vaasa, Finland, 2006.
- Bentley Systems, WaterGEMS V8i User's Guide, Bentley, 2009.
- A. Quintela, Hidráulica, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Lisboa, Portugal, 2002.