- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Environmental and Public Health
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 203141, 9 pages
Built Environment and Its Influences on Walking among Older Women: Use of Standardized Geographic Units to Define Urban Forms
1Population Research Center and Institute of Metropolitan Studies, Portland State University, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207, USA
2Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Mail Code CB 669, Portland, OR 97239, USA
3Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Northwest/Hawaii, 3800 N. Interstate Avenue, Portland, OR 97227, USA
4Metro Data Resource Center, 600 NE Grand Avenue, Portland, OR 97232, USA
5Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Drexel University School of Public Health, 1505 Race Street, MS 1033, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Received 4 January 2012; Accepted 12 June 2012
Academic Editor: David Strogatz
Copyright © 2012 Vivian W. Siu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [9 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Ana Isabel Ribeiro, Richard Mitchel, Marília Sá Carvalho, and Maria de Fátima de Pina, “Physical activity-friendly neighbourhood among older adults from a medium size urban setting in Southern Europe,” Preventive Medicine, 2013.
- Yvonne L. Michael, Corey Nagel, Rachel Gold, and Teresa A. Hillier, “Does change in the neighborhood environment prevent obesity in older women?,” Social Science & Medicine, 2013.
- Yi Zhang, Wei Wu, Yuan Li, Qixing Liu, and Chaoyang Li, “Does the Built Environment Make a Difference? An Investigation of Household Vehicle Use in Zhongshan Metropolitan Area, China,” Sustainability, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 4910–4930, 2014.
- Yi Zhang, Xiaoguang Yang, Yuan Li, Qixing Liu, and Chaoyang Li, “Household, Personal and Environmental Correlates of Rural Elderly's Cycling Activity: Evidence from Zhongshan Metropolitan Area, China,” Sustainability, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 3599–3614, 2014.
- Scott C. Brown, Joanna Lombard, Matthew Toro, Shi Huang, Tatiana Perrino, Gianna Perez-Gomez, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, Hilda Pantin, Olivia Affuso, Naresh Kumar, Kefeng Wang, and José Szapocznik, “Walking and Proximity to the Urban Growth Boundary and Central Business District,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2014.
- Yi Zhang, Yuan Li, Qixing Liu, and Chaoyang Li, “The Built Environment and Walking Activity of the Elderly: An Empirical Analysis in the Zhongshan Metropolitan Area, China,” Sustainability, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 1076–1092, 2014.
- Hyungun Sung, Sugie Lee, and Sungwon Jung, “Identifying the relationship between the objectively measured built environment and walking activity in the high-density and transit-oriented city, Seoul, Korea,” Environment and Planning B-Planning & Design, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 637–660, 2014.
- Ana Isabel Ribeiro, Andrea Pires, Marilia Sá Carvalho, and Maria Fátima Pina, “Distance to parks and non-residential destinations influences physical activity of older people, but crime doesn’t: a cross-sectional study in a southern European city,” BMC Public Health, vol. 15, no. 1, 2015.
- Amy A. Eyler, Heidi M. Blanck, Joel Gittelsohn, Allison Karpyn, Thomas L. McKenzie, Susan Partington, Sandy J. Slater, and Meghan Winters, “Physical Activity and Food Environment Assessments Implications for Practice,” American Journal Of Preventive Medicine, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 639–645, 2015.