- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Environmental and Public Health
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 291541, 8 pages
Earthing: Health Implications of Reconnecting the Human Body to the Earth's Surface Electrons
1Developmental and Cell Biology Department, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
2Earth FX Inc., Palm Springs, CA 92262, USA
3University of CT School of Medicine, c/o Optimum Health Building, 257 East Center Street, Farmington, CT 06040, USA
4Nature's Own Research Association, Dover, NH 03821, USA
5Department of Ambulatory Cardiology, Military Clinical Hospital, 85-681 Bydgoszcz, Poland
6Department of Neurosurgery, Military Clinical Hospital, 85-681 Bydgoszcz, Poland
Received 15 June 2011; Accepted 4 October 2011
Academic Editor: Gerry Schwalfenberg
Copyright © 2012 Gaétan Chevalier et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Williams and S. Heckman, “The local diurnal variation of cloud electrification and the global diurnal variation of negative charge on the Earth,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 5221–5234, 1993.
- S. Anisimov, E. Mareev, and S. Bakastov, “On the generation and evolution of aeroelectric structures in the surface layer,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 104, no. 12, pp. 14359–14367, 1999.
- J. L. Oschman, “Perspective: assume a spherical cow: the role of free or mobile electrons in bodywork, energetic and movement therapies,” Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 40–57, 2008.
- J. L. Oschman, “Charge transfer in the living matrix,” Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 215–228, 2009.
- D. Holiday, R. Resnick, and J. Walker, Fundamentals of Physics, Fourth Edition, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- W. Rossi, The Sex Life of the Foot and Shoe, vol. 61, Wordsworth Editions, Hertfordshire, UK, 1989.
- R. Stein, Is Modern Life Ravaging Our Immune Systems?Washington Post, 2008.
- A. Just, Return to Nature: The True Natural Method of Healing and Living and The True Salvation of the Soul, B. Lust, New York, NY, USA, 1903.
- G. White, The Finer Forces of Nature in Diagnosis and Therapy, Phillips Printing Company, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1929.
- C. Ober, “Grounding the human body to neutralize bioelectrical stress from static electricity and EMFs,” ESD Journal, http://www.esdjournal.com/articles/cober/ground.htm, January 2000.
- K. Sokal and P. Sokal, “Earthing the human body influences physiologic processes,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 301–308, 2011.
- C. Ober, S. T. Sinatra, and M. Zucker, Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?Basic Health Publications, Laguna Beach, Calif, USA, 2010.
- M. Ghaly and D. Teplitz, “The biologic effects of grounding the human body during sleep as measured by cortisol levels and subjective reporting of sleep, pain, and stress,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 767–776, 2004.
- “NIH State-of-the-Science Conference on Manifestations and Management of Chronic Insomnia in Adults,” http://consensus.nih.gov/2005/insomniastatement.htm, June 13-15, 2005.
- R. Applewhite, “The effectiveness of a conductive patch and a conductive bed pad in reducing induced human body voltage via the application of earth ground,” European Biology and Bioelectromagnetics, vol. 1, pp. 23–40, 2005.
- R. Feynman, R. Leighton, and M. Sands, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, vol. II, Addison-Wesley, Boston, Mass, USA, 1963.
- K. S. Jamieson, H. M. ApSimon, S. S. Jamieson, J. N. B. Bell, and M. G. Yost, “The effects of electric fields on charged molecules and particles in individual microenvironments,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 25, pp. 5224–5235, 2007.
- S. J. Genuis, “Fielding a current idea: exploring the public health impact of electromagnetic radiation,” Public Health, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 113–124, 2008.
- G. Chevalier, K. Mori, and J. L. Oschman, “The effect of Earthing (grounding) on human physiology,” European Biology and Bioelectromagnetics, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 600–621, 2006.
- G. Chevalier, “Changes in pulse rate, respiratory rate, blood oxygenation, perfusion index, skin conductance, and their variability induced during and after grounding human subjects for 40 minutes,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2010.
- R. Brown, G. Chevalier, and M. Hill, “Pilot study on the effect of grounding on delayed-onset muscle soreness,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 265–273, 2010.
- M. F. Bobbert, A. P. Hollander, and P. A. Huijing, “Factors in delayed onset muscular soreness of man,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 75–81, 1986.
- B. Tartibian, B. Maleki, and A. Abbasi, “The effects of ingestion of Omega-3 fatty acids on perceived pain and external symptoms of delayed onset muscle soreness in untrained men,” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 115–119, 2009.
- J. Vaile, S. Halson, N. Gill, and B. Dawson, “Effect of hydrotherapy on the signs and symptoms of delayed onset muscle soreness,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 447–455, 2008.
- Z. Zainuddin, M. Newton, P. Sacco, and K. Nosaka, “Effects of massage on delayed-onset muscle soreness, swelling, and recovery of muscle function,” Journal of Athletic Training, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 174–180, 2005.
- M. Hübscher, L. Vogt, M. Bernhörster, A. Rosenhagen, and W. Banzer, “Effects of acupuncture on symptoms and muscle function in delayed-onset muscle soreness,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 1011–1016, 2008.
- G. Chevalier and S. Sinatra, “Emotional stress, heart rate variability, grounding, and improved autonomic tone: clinical applications,” Integrative Medicine: A Clinician's Journal, vol. 10, no. 3, 2011.
- J. L. Oschman, “Can electrons act as antioxidants? A review and commentary,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 955–967, 2007.
- G. Chevalier, S. T. Sinatra, J. L. Oschman, and R. M. Delany, “Grounding the human body reduces blood viscosity—a major factor in cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. In press.
- S. Adak, S. Chowdhury, and M. Bhattacharyya, “Dynamic and electrokinetic behavior of erythrocyte membrane in diabetes mellitus and diabetic cardiovascular disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1780, no. 2, pp. 108–115, 2008.
- M. Chahine, A. Chatelier, O. Babich, and J. J. Krupp, “Voltage-gated sodium channels in neurological disorders,” CNS and Neurological Disorders—Drug Targets, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 144–158, 2008.
- C. Franceschi, M. Bonafè, S. Valensin et al., “Inflamm-aging: an evolutionary perspective on immunosenescence,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 908, pp. 244–254, 2000.
- S. de Flora, A. Quaglia, C. Bennicelli, and M. Vercelli, “The epidemiological revolution of the 20th century,” FASEB Journal, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 892–897, 2005.