- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Environmental and Public Health
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 959343, 8 pages
Spatial Analysis of County-Level Breast Cancer Mortality in Texas
1Division of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Science, University of Texas School of Public Health, 1200 Herman Pressler, Houston, TX 77030, USA
2Division of Biostatistics, University of Texas School of Public Health, 1200 Herman Pressler, Houston, TX 77030, USA
3Division of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Science, University of Texas School of Public Health, Brownsville Regional Campus, 80 Fort Brown Road, RAHC, Brownsville, TX 78520, USA
Received 2 September 2011; Revised 25 October 2011; Accepted 25 October 2011
Academic Editor: Edward Trapido
Copyright © 2012 Arvind B. Bambhroliya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures 2010, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2010.
- Kentucky Cancer Registry, “Cancer incidence and mortality inquiry system version 6.0,” March 2010, http://www.cancer-rates.info/tx/index.php/.
- A. Jemal, L. X. Clegg, E. Ward et al., “Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975–2001, with a special feature regarding survival,” Cancer, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 3–27, 2004.
- D. R. Risser, M. A. Williams, B. Mokry, P. Betts, and E. A. Miller, Cancer Incidence & Mortality in Texas, 2001–2005. Austin, Texas Department of State Health Services, Austin, Tex, USA, 2009.
- N. Tian, J. G. Wilson, and F. B. Zhan, “Spatial association of racial/ethnic disparities between late-stage diagnosis and mortality for female breast cancer: where to intervene?” International Journal of Health Geographics, vol. 10, p. 24, 2011.
- M. Kulldorff, “A spatial scan statistic,” Communications in Statistics—Theory and Methods, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1481–1496, 1997.
- M. Kulldorff and N. Nagarwalla, “Spatial disease clusters: detection and inference,” Statistics in Medicine, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 799–810, 1995.
- F. B. Zhan and H. Lin, “Geographic patterns of cancer mortality clusters in Texas, 1990 to 1997,” Texas Medicine, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 58–64, 2003.
- US Bureau of the Census, Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010. 2010 Census Briefs, US Bureau of the Census, 2011.
- Susan Combs Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Texas in Focus: A Statewide View of Opportunities, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts, Austin, Tex, USA, 2008.
- C. Smigal, A. Jemal, E. Ward et al., “Trends in breast cancer by race and ethnicity: update 2006,” A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 168–183, 2006.
- C. I. Li, K. E. Malone, and J. R. Daling, “Differences in breast cancer stage, treatment, and survival by race and ethnicity,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2003.
- P. M. Lantz, M. Mujahid, K. Schwartz et al., “The influence of race, ethnicity, and individual socioeconomic factors on breast cancer stage at diagnosis,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 2173–2178, 2006.
- K. L. Schwartz, H. Crossley-May, F. D. Vigneau, K. Brown, and M. Banerjee, “Race, socioeconomic status and stage at diagnosis for five common malignancies,” Cancer Causes and Control, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 761–766, 2003.
- M. T. Halpern, J. Bian, E. M. Ward, N. M. Schrag, and A. Y. Chen, “Insurance status and stage of cancer at diagnosis among women with breast cancer,” Cancer, vol. 110, no. 2, pp. 403–411, 2007.
- L. Remennick, “The challenge of early breast cancer detection among immigrant and minority women in multicultural societies,” The Breast Journal, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. S103–S110, 2006.
- C. J. Bradley, C. W. Given, and C. Roberts, “Race, socioeconomic status, and breast cancer treatment and survival,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 94, no. 7, pp. 490–496, 2002.
- B. Guzman, The Hispanic Population, Census 2000 Brief, 2001.
- K. E. Heck, D. K. Wagener, A. Schatzkin, S. S. Devesa, and N. Breen, “Socioeconomic status and breast cancer mortality, 1989 through 1993: an analysis of education data from death certificates,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 1218–1222, 1997.
- A. P. Polednak, “Survival of breast cancer patients in connecticut in relation to socioeconomic and health care access indicators,” Journal of Urban Health, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 211–218, 2002.
- American Cancer Society and High Plains Division, Inc., Texas Facts & Figures 2008, American Cancer Society, High Plains Division, Austin, Tex, USA, 2008.
- Texas Department of State Health Services [figure]. In Texas Department of State Health Services website, http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/regions/lhdmap.pdf.
- Texas Cancer Information [figure]. In Texas Cancer Information website, http://www.txcancer.org/facility/mammography.html.
- B. M. Beadle, W. A. Woodward, and T. A. Buchholz, “The impact of age on outcome in early-stage breast cancer,” Seminars in Radiation Oncology, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 26–34, 2011.
- A. C. Antoniou, P. P. Pharoah, P. Smith, and D. F. Easton, “The BOADICEA model of genetic susceptibility to breast and ovarian cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 1580–1590, 2004.
- E. A. Petracci, A. Decarli, C. Schairer, et al., “Risk factor modification and projections of absolute breast cancer risk,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 103, no. 13, pp. 1037–1048, 2011.
- J. A. MacKinnon, R. C. Duncan, Y. Huang, et al., “Detecting an association between socioeconomic status and late stage breast cancer using spatial analysis and area-based measures,” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 756–762, 2007.
- B. Huang, M. Dignan, D. Han, and O. Johnson, “Does distance matter? Distance to mammography facilities and stage at diagnosis of breast cancer in Kentucky,” The Journal of Rural Health, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 366–371, 2009.
- P. Lichtenstein, N. V. Holm, P. K. Verkasalo et al., “Environmental and heritable factors in the causation of cancer: analyses of cohorts of twins from Sweden, Denmark, and Finland,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 2, pp. 78–85, 2000.
- M. D. Gammon, R. M. Santella, A. I. Neugut, et al., “Environmental toxins and breast cancer on long island. I. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon DNA adducts,” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 677–685, 2002.
- P. Parsa and B. Parsa, “Effects of reproductive factors on risk of breast cancer: a literature review,” Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 545–550, 2009.
- A. M. Brewster, K. A. Do, P. A. Thompson, et al., “Relationship between epidemiologic risk factors and breast cancer recurrence,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 28, pp. 4438–4444, 2007.