- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Environmental and Public Health
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 680631, 10 pages
Prevalence of High Blood Pressure, Heart Disease, Thalassemia, Sickle-Cell Anemia, and Iron-Deficiency Anemia among the UAE Adolescent Population
University of Toronto Scarborough, 1265 Military Trail, Toronto, ON, Canada M1C 1A4
Received 31 July 2012; Revised 12 January 2013; Accepted 25 February 2013
Academic Editor: Pauline E. Jolly
Copyright © 2013 Caroline Barakat-Haddad. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- PHAC, Reports on Plans and Priorities 2009-2010, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Canada, 2009.
- V. Tangcharoensathien, P. Harnvoravongchai, S. Pitayarangsarit, and V. Kasemsup, “Health impacts of rapid economic changes in Thailand,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 789–807, 2000.
- D. Thomas and E. Frankenberg, “Health, nutrition and prosperity: a microeconomic perspective,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 106–113, 2002.
- World Development Indicators Database, 2011, The World Bank, http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf.
- United Arab Emirates National Bureau of Statistics, 2010, http://www.uaestatistics.gov.ae.
- UAE Ministry of Environment, Tedad Census 2005. Preliminary Results of Population, Housing and Establishment Census 2005, United Arab Emirates, Ministry of Economy, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2006.
- P. Kandela, “Health and wealth in the United Arab Emirates,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9169, p. 2047, 1999.
- A. Musaiger, “Social factors associated with obesity,” in Proceedings of the Symposium on Obesity, Current Situation and Prospective, pp. 48–52, Dubai, UAE, 1998.
- C. J. K. Henry, H. J. Lightowler, and H. M. Al-Hourani, “Physical activity and levels of inactivity in adolescent females ages 11–16 years in the United Arab Emirates,” American Journal of Human Biology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 346–353, 2004.
- G. Berger and A. Peerson, “Giving young Emirati women a voice: participatory action research on physical activity,” Health and Place, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 117–124, 2009.
- A. Bener, Y. M. Abdulrazzaq, P. Debuse, and A. H. Abdin, “Asthma and wheezing as the cause of school absence,” Journal of Asthma, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 93–98, 1994.
- J. Punnose, M. M. Agarwal, A. Khadir, K. Devadas, and I. T. Mugamer, “Childhood and adolescent diabetes mellitus in Arabs residing in the United Arab Emirates,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 2002.
- C. J. Miller, E. V. Dunn, S. F. Abdouni, H. M. Shaheen, and M. S. Ullah, “Factors associated with iron depletion and iron deficiency anemia among Arabic preschool children of the United Arab Emirates,” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 843–847, 2004.
- A. H. Al Marzooqi, M. Badi, and A. El-Jack, “Road traffic accidents in Dubai, 2002–2008,” Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, vol. 22, supplement 3, pp. 31S–39S, 2010.
- Department of Health and Medical Services and Government of Dubai, “Mortality Statistics in Dubai,” Statistical News, no. 4, 2005.
- Health Authority Abu Dhabi, Health Statistics 2010, http://www.haad.ae/HAAD/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=c-lGoRRszqc%3d&tabid=349.
- M. Saberi, Hypertension Risk Higher in the UAE, Gulf News, 2011.
- M. Ismail, Heart Disease Occurs 15 Years Earlier in UAE than West, The National, 2011.
- S. Sajila, Thalassemia a Major Public Health Issue in UAE, Says Expert, Khaleej Times, Dubai, UAE, 2009.
- J. M. White, M. Byrne, and R. Richards, “Red cell genetic abnormalities in Peninsular Arabs: sickle haemoglobin, G6PD deficiency, and α and β thalassaemia,” Journal of Medical Genetics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 245–251, 1986.
- S. El-Kalla and E. Baysal, “α-thalassemia in the United Arab Emirates,” Acta Haematologica, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 1998.
- N. Halfon and M. Hochstein, “Life course health development: an integrated framework for developing health, policy, and research,” Milbank Quarterly, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 433–479, 2002.
- R. Bundhun, “UAE monthly household income revealed,” 2009, Culture & Society News, http://www.arabianbusiness.com/.
- Y. El-Shahat, S. Bakir, N. Farjou, et al., “Hypertension in UAE citizens—preliminary results of a prospective study,” Saudi Journal of Kidney Diseases and Transplantation, vol. 10, pp. 376–381, 1999.
- WHO, 2004, Global Health Risks. Mortality and burden of disease attributable to selected major risks, http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/GlobalHealthRisks_report_full.pdf.
- Dubai Health Authority, Thalassemia Centre-Dubai Website, http://www.thalassemia-dubai.com/en/home.aspx.
- P. Rasheed, Carriers of Thalassemia Disease Can Go up to 1 m in UAE, The Gulf Today, Sharjah, UAE, 2011.
- World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Worldwide Prevalence of Anaemia 1993–2005, de Benoist B., McLean E., Egli I., Cogswell M., Eds., World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008.
- A. Mandil, A. Hussein, H. Omer, G. Turki, and I. Gaber, “Characteristics and risk factors of tabacco consumption among University of Sharjah students,” Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1449–1458, 2005.
- C. Barakat-Haddad and R. Dghaim, “The quest for higher socioeconomic status and adolescent health risk: case study from a migrant population in the United Arab Emirates,” in Socioeconomic Status and Health Implications, S. Reibert and A. Jannings, Eds., Nova Science, New York, NY, USA, 2012.
- S. Kennedy, J. McDonald, and N. Biddle, “The healthy immigrant effect and immigrant selection: evidence from four countries,” Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers, p. 54, 2006.
- O. Shafey, “Health issues in the Arab American community. Global epidemiology and health hazards of tobacco use: Arab world patterns,” Ethnicity & Disease, vol. 17, supplement 2, pp. S3-13–S3-15, 2007.