- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Geological Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 723839, 8 pages
/ Ratio in Olivines from Linosa, Ustica, and Pantelleria Islands (Southern Italy)
1LSCE, CEA-CNRS-UVSQ, Centre de Saclay, 91191 Gif-sur-Yvette, France
2IPGP, CNRS, 75005 Paris, France
3CFTA, Università di Palermo, 90123 Palermo, Italy
Received 5 August 2011; Accepted 5 December 2011
Academic Editor: Steven L. Forman
Copyright © 2012 Elise Fourré et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Peccerillo, Plio-Quaternary Volcanism in Italy: Petrology, Geochemistry, Geodynamics, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- R. M. Ellam, C. J. Hawkesworth, M. A. Menzies, and N. W. Rogers, “The volcanism of southern Italy: role of subduction and the relationship between potassic and sodic alkaline magmatism,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 4589–4601, 1989.
- R. M. Ellam and R. S. Harmon, “Oxygen isotope constraints on the crustal contribution to the subduction-related magmatism of the Aeolian Islands, southern Italy,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 44, no. 1-2, pp. 105–122, 1990.
- B. Marty, T. Trull, P. Lussiez, I. Basile, and J. C. Tanguy, “He, Ar, O, Sr and Nd isotope constraints on the origin and evolution of Mount Etna magmatism,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 126, no. 1–3, pp. 23–39, 1994.
- P. Allard, P. Jean-Baptiste, W. D'Alessandro, F. Parello, B. Parisi, and C. Flehoc, “Mantle-derived helium and carbon in groundwaters and gases of Mount Etna, Italy,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 148, no. 3-4, pp. 501–516, 1997.
- M. Martelli, P. M. Nuccio, F. M. Stuart et al., “Constraints on mantle source and interactions from He-Sr isotope variation in Italian Plio-Quaternary volcanism,” Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, vol. 9, no. 2, Article ID Q02001, 2008.
- S. Esperanca and G. M. Crisci, “The island of Pantelleria: a case for the development of DMM-HIMU isotopic compositions in a long-lived extensional setting,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 136, no. 3-4, pp. 167–182, 1995.
- T. Trua, S. Esperança, and R. Mazzuoli, “The evolution of the lithospheric mantle along the N. African Plate: geochemical and isotopic evidence from the tholeiitic and alkaline volcanic rocks of the Hyblean plateau, Italy,” Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 131, no. 4, pp. 307–322, 1998.
- P. Schiano, R. Clocchiatti, L. Ottolini, and A. Sbrana, “The relationship between potassic, calc-alkaline and Na-alkaline magmatism in South Italy volcanoes: a melt inclusion approach,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 220, no. 1-2, pp. 121–137, 2004.
- S. G. Rotolo, F. Castorina, D. Cellura, and M. Pompilio, “Petrology and geochemistry of submarine volcanism in the Sicily Channel Rift,” Journal of Geology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 355–365, 2006.
- L. Civetta, M. D'Antonio, G. Orsi, and G. R. Tilton, “The geochemistry of volcanic rocks from Pantelleria Island, Sicily Channel: petrogenesis and characteristics of the mantle source region,” Journal of Petrology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1453–1491, 1998.
- K. Hoernle, Y. S. Zhang, and D. Graham, “Seismic and geochemical evidence for large-scale mantle upwelling beneath the eastern Atlantic and western and central Europe,” Nature, vol. 374, no. 6517, pp. 34–39, 1995.
- S. Goes, W. Spakman, and H. Bijwaard, “A lower mantle source for central European volcanism,” Science, vol. 286, no. 5446, pp. 1928–1931, 1999.
- M. Wilson and R. Patterson, “Intraplate magmatism related to short-wavelength convective instabilities in the upper mantle: evidence from the tertiary-quaternary volcanic province of western and central Europe,” in Mantle Plumes: Their Identification Through Time, R. E. Ernst and K. L. Buchan, Eds., vol. 352, pp. 37–58, Geological Society of America Special Papers, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- D. Gasperini, J. Blichert-Toft, D. Bosch, A. del Moro, P. Macera, and F. Albarède, “Upwelling of deep mantle material through a plate window: evidence from the geochemistry of Italian basaltic volcanics,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 2367–2386, 2002.
- K. Bell, F. Castorina, G. Rosatelli, and F. Stoppa, “Plume activity, magmatism, and the geodynamic evolution of the Central Mediterranean,” Annals of Geophysics, vol. 49, supplement 1, pp. 357–371, 2006.
- A. Peccerillo, “Quaternary magmatism in Central-Southern Italy: a new classification scheme for volcanic provinces and its geodynamic implications,” Bollettino della Società Geologica Italiana, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 113–127, 2002.
- M. Lustrino and M. Wilson, “The circum-Mediterranean anorogenic Cenozoic igneous province,” Earth-Science Reviews, vol. 81, no. 1-2, pp. 1–65, 2007.
- J. E. Lupton, “Terrestrial inert gases: isotope tracer studies and clues to primordial components in the mantle,” Annual Review of Earth & Planetary Sciences, vol. 11, pp. 371–414, 1983.
- D. R. Hilton, K. Hammerschmidt, S. Teufel, and H. Friedrichsen, “Helium isotope characteristics of Andean geothermal fluids and lavas,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 120, no. 3-4, pp. 265–282, 1993.
- D. W. Graham, “Noble gas isotope geochemistry of mid-ocean ridge and ocean island basalts: characterization of mantle source reservoirs,” Reviews in Mineralogy and Geochemistry, vol. 47, pp. 247–317, 2002.
- F. M. Stuart, S. Lass-Evans, J. G. Fitton, and R. M. Ellam, “High / ratios in picritic basalts from Baffin Island and the role of a mixed reservoir in mantle plumes,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6944, pp. 57–59, 2003.
- M. Martelli, P. M. Nuccio, F. M. Stuart, R. Burgess, R. M. Ellam, and F. Italiano, “Helium-strontium isotope constraints on mantle evolution beneath the Roman Comagmatic Province, Italy,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 224, no. 3-4, pp. 295–308, 2004.
- F. Parello, P. Allard, W. D'Alessandro, C. Federico, P. Jean-Baptiste, and O. Catani, “Isotope geochemistry of Pantelleria volcanic fluids, Sicily Channel rift: a mantle volatile end-member for volcanism in southern Europe,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 180, no. 3-4, pp. 325–339, 2000.
- G. Sapienza, D. R. Hilton, and V. Scribano, “Helium isotopes in peridotite mineral phases from Hyblean Plateau xenoliths (south-eastern Sicily, Italy),” Chemical Geology, vol. 219, no. 1–4, pp. 115–129, 2005.
- A. Carracausi, R. Favara, S. Giammanco et al., “Mount Etna: geochemical signals of magma ascent and unusually extensive plumbing system,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 1–4, 2003.
- A. Rizzo, A. Caracausi, R. Favara et al., “New insights into magma dynamics during last two eruptions of Mount Etna as inferred by geochemical monitoring from 2002 to 2005,” Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, vol. 7, no. 6, Article ID Q06008, 2006.
- P. M. Nuccio, A. Paonita, A. Rizzo, and A. Rosciglione, “Elemental and isotope covariation of noble gases in mineral phases from Etnean volcanics erupted during 2001–2005, and genetic relation with peripheral gas discharges,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 272, no. 3-4, pp. 683–690, 2008.
- T. J. Dunaim and H. Baur, “Helium, neon, and argon systematics of the European subcontinental mantle: implications for its geochemical evolution,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 59, no. 13, pp. 2767–2783, 1995.
- C. Gautheron and M. Moreira, “Helium signature of the subcontinental lithospheric mantle,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 199, no. 1-2, pp. 39–47, 2002.
- C. Gautheron, M. Moreira, and C. Allègre, “He, Ne and Ar composition of the European lithospheric mantle,” Chemical Geology, vol. 217, no. 1-2, pp. 97–112, 2005.
- A. Buikin, M. Trieloff, J. Hopp et al., “Noble gas isotopes suggest deep mantle plume source of late Cenozoic mafic alkaline volcanism in Europe,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 230, no. 1-2, pp. 143–162, 2005.
- T. Hanyu and I. Kaneoka, “The uniform and low / ratios of HIMU basalts as evidence for their origin as recycled materials,” Nature, vol. 390, no. 6657, pp. 273–276, 1997.
- T. Hanyu, I. Kaneoka, and K. Nagao, “Noble gas study of HIMU and EM ocean island basalts in the Polynesian region,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 63, no. 7-8, pp. 1181–1201, 1999.
- G. Rossi, C. A. Tranne, N. Calanchi, and E. Lanti, “Geology, stratigraphy and volcanological evolution of the island of Linosa (Sicily Channel),” Acta Vulcanologica, vol. 8, pp. 73–90, 1996.
- S. de Vita, M. A. Laurenzi, G. Orsi, and M. Voltaggio, “Application of / and dating methods to the chronostratigraphy of Quaternart basaltic volcanic areas: the Ustica Isand case history,” Quaternary International, vol. 4, no. 48, pp. 117–127, 1998.
- P. Jean-Baptiste, F. Mantisi, A. Dapoigny, and M. Stievenard, “Design and performance of a mass spectrometric facility for measuring helium isotopes in natural waters and for low-level tritium determination by the ingrowth method,” Applied Radiation and Isotopes, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 881–891, 1992.
- G. Lanzafame, P. L. Rossi, C. A. Tranne, and E. Lanti, Carta Geologica di Linosa, 1:5000, SELCA, Firenze, Italy, 1994.
- L. Civetta, Y. Cornette, P. Y. Crisci, G. Orsi, and C. S. Requejo, “Geology, geochronology and chemical evolution of the island of Pantelleria,” Geological Magazine, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 541–562, 1984.
- Y. Sano, H. Wakita, F. Italiano, and M. P. Nuccio, “Helium isotopes and tectonics in southern Italy,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 511–514, 1989.
- D. Tedesco, “Fluid geochemistry at Vulcano Island: a change in the volcanic regime or continuous fluctuations in the mixing of different systems?” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 4157–4167, 1995.
- D. Tedesco, “Systematic variations in the / ratio and carbon of fumarolic fluids from active volcanic areas in Italy: evidence for radiogenic and crustal carbon addition by the subducting African plate?” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 151, no. 3-4, pp. 255–269, 1997.
- D. Tedesco, G. Miele, Y. Sano, and J. P. Toutain, “Helium isotopes ratios in Vulcano Island (southern Italy): temporal variations, shallow source mixing and deep magmatic supply,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 64, no. 1-2, pp. 117–128, 1995.
- S. Inguaggiato and A. Rizzo, “Dissolved helium isotope ratios in ground-waters: a new technique based on gas-water re-equilibration and its application to Stromboli volcanic system,” Applied Geochemistry, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 665–673, 2004.
- G. Capasso, M. L. Carapezza, C. Federico, S. Inguaggiato, and A. Rizzo, “Geochemical monitoring of the 2002-2003 eruption at Stromboli volcano (Italy): precursory changes in the carbon and helium isotopic composition of fumarole gases and thermal waters,” Bulletin of Volcanology, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 118–134, 2005.
- B. Capaccioni, F. Tassi, O. Vaselli, D. Tedesco, and R. Poreda, “Submarine gas burst at Panarea Island (southern Italy) on 3 November 2002: a magmatic versus hydrothermal episode,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 112, no. 5, Article ID B05201, 2007.
- D. Tedesco and P. Scarsi, “Intensive gas sampling of noble gases and carbon at Vulcano Island (southern Italy),” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 10499–10510, 1999.
- D. Tedesco, “Chemical and isotopic gas emissions at Campi Flegrei: evidence for an aborted period of unrest,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 99, no. 8, pp. 15623–15631, 1994.
- D. Tedesco, “Chemical and isotopic investigations of fumarolic gases from Ischia island (southern Italy): evidences of magmatic and crustal contribution,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 74, no. 3-4, pp. 233–242, 1996.
- D. Tedesco, P. Allard, Y. Sano, H. Wakita, and R. Pece, “Helium-3 in subaerial and submarine fumaroles of Campi Flegrei caldera, Italy,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1105–1116, 1990.
- D. W. Graham, P. Allard, C. R. J. Kilburn, F. J. Spera, and J. E. Lupton, “Helium isotopes in some historical lavas from Mount Vesuvius,” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 58, no. 1–4, pp. 359–366, 1993.
- C. Federico, A. Aiuppa, P. Allard et al., “Magma-derived gas influx and water-rock interactions in the volcanic aquifer of Mt. Vesuvius, Italy,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 963–981, 2002.
- D. Tedesco and P. Scarsi, “Chemical (He, H2, CH4, Ne, Ar, N2) and isotopic (He, Ne, Ar, C) variations at the Solfatara crater (southern Italy): mixing of different sources in relation to seismic activity,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 465–480, 1999.
- P. J. Hooker, R. Bertrami, S. Lombardi, R. K. O'Nions, and E. R. Oxburgh, “Helium-3 anomalies and crust-mantle interaction in Italy,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 2505–2513, 1985.
- A. Minissale, G. Magro, O. Vaselli, C. Verrucchi, and I. Perticone, “Geochemistry of water and gas discharges from the Mt. Amiata silicic complex and surrounding areas (central Italy),” Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol. 79, no. 3-4, pp. 223–251, 1997.
- A. Minissale, W. C. Evans, G. Magro, and O. Vaselli, “Multiple source components in gas manifestations from north-central Italy,” Chemical Geology, vol. 142, no. 3-4, pp. 175–192, 1997.
- A. Minissale, “Origin, transport and discharge of CO2 in central Italy,” Earth-Science Reviews, vol. 66, no. 1-2, pp. 89–141, 2004.
- F. Italiano, G. Martinelli, and A. Rizzo, “Geochemical evidence of seismogenic-induced anomalies in the dissolved gases of thermal waters: a case study of Umbria (Central Apennines, Italy) both during and after the 1997-1998 seismic swarm,” Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, vol. 5, no. 11, Article ID Q11001, 2004.
- F. Barberi, S. Borsi, G. Ferrara, and F. Innocenti, “Strontium isotopic composition of some recent basic volcanites of the Southern Tyrrhenian Sea and Sicily Channel,” Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 157–172, 1969.
- M. D'Antonio, G. R. Tilton, and L. Civetta, “Petrogenesis of Italian alkaline lavas deduced from Pb-Sr-Nd isotope relationships,” in Earth Processes: Reading the Isotopic Code, Geophys. Monogr. Ser., A. Basu and S. R. Hart, Eds., vol. 95, pp. 253–267, American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, USA, 1996.
- G. F. Panza, A. Peccerillo, A. Aoudia, and B. Farina, “Geophysical and petrological modelling of the structure and composition of the crust and upper mantle in complex geodynamic settings: the Tyrrhenian Sea and surroundings,” Earth-Science Reviews, vol. 80, no. 1-2, pp. 1–46, 2007.
- S. Nakai, H. Wakita, M. P. Nuccio, and F. Italiano, “MORB-type neon in an enriched mantle beneath Etna, Sicily,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 153, no. 1-2, pp. 57–66, 1997.