- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 451059, 9 pages
Validation of Cytomegalovirus Immune Competence Assays for the Characterization of CD8+ T Cell Responses Posttransplant
Department of Pathology, ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Utah, 500 Chipeta Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Received 25 June 2012; Accepted 23 November 2012
Academic Editor: Rossana Cavallo
Copyright © 2012 Eugene V. Ravkov et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Fishman and R. H. Rubin, “Infection in organ-transplant recipients,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 338, no. 24, pp. 1741–1751, 1998.
- M. Boeckh and W. G. Nichols, “The impact of cytomegalovirus serostatus of donor and recipient before hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in the era of antiviral prophylaxis and preemptive therapy,” Blood, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 2003–2008, 2004.
- C. N. Kotton and Medscape, “Management of cytomegalovirus infection in solid organ transplantation,” Nature Reviews. Nephrology, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 711–721, 2010.
- E. S. Mocarski Jr., T. Shenk, and R. F. Pass, “Cytomegaloviruses,” in Fields' Virology, D. M. Knipe and P. M. Howley, Eds., pp. 2702–2772, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 5th edition, 2007.
- M. Ho, “Epidemiology of cytomegalovirus infections,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. S701–S710, 1990.
- G. V. Quinnan, N. Kirmani, and A. H. Rook, “Cytotoxic T cells in cytomegalovirus infection. HLA-restricted T-lymphocytes and non-T-lymphocyte cytotoxic responses correlate with recovery from cytomegalovirus infection in bone-marrow-transplant recipients,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 307, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 1982.
- E. A. Walter, P. D. Greenberg, M. J. Gilbert et al., “Reconstitution of cellular immunity against cytomegalovirus in recipients of allogeneic bone marrow by transfer of T-cell clones from the donor,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 333, no. 16, pp. 1038–1044, 1995.
- K. S. Chan and A. Kaur, “Flow cytometric detection of degranulation reveals phenotypic heterogeneity of degranulating CMV-specific CD8+ T lymphocytes in rhesus macaques,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 325, no. 1-2, pp. 20–34, 2007.
- S. F. Lacey, J. Martinez, G. Gallez-Hawkins et al., “Simultaneous reconstitution of multiple cytomegalovirus-specific CD8+ cell populations with divergent functionality in hematopoietic stem-cell transplant recipients,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 191, no. 6, pp. 977–984, 2005.
- S. Noble and D. Faulds, “Ganciclovir. An update of its use in the prevention of cytomegalovirus infection and disease in transplant recipients,” Drugs, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 115–146, 1998.
- D. Couriel, J. Canosa, H. Engler, A. Collins, C. Dunbar, and A. J. Barrett, “Early reactivation of cytomegalovirus and high risk of interstitial pneumonitis following T-depleted BMT for adults with hematological malignancies,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 347–353, 1996.
- P. Reusser, S. R. Riddell, J. D. Meyers, and P. D. Greenberg, “Cytotoxic T-lymphocyte response to cytomegalovirus after human allogeneic bone marrow transplantation: pattern of recovery and correlation with cytomegalovirus infection and disease,” Blood, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 1373–1380, 1991.
- J. D. Altman, P. A. H. Moss, P. J. R. Goulder et al., “Phenotypic analysis of antigen-specific T lymphocytes,” Science, vol. 274, no. 5284, pp. 94–96, 1996.
- M. M. Davis, J. D. Altman, and E. W. Newell, “Interrogating the repertoire: broadening the scope of peptide-MHC multimer analysis,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 551–558, 2011.
- M. Assenmacher, J. Schmitz, and A. Radbruch, “Flow cytometric determination of cytokines in activated murine T helper lymphocytes: expression of interleukin-10 in interferon-γ and in interleukin-4-expressing cells,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1097–1101, 1994.
- L. J. Picker, M. K. Singh, Z. Zdraveski et al., “Direct demonstration of cytokine synthesis heterogeneity among human memory/effector T cells by flow cytometry,” Blood, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 1408–1419, 1995.
- M. R. Betts, J. M. Brenchley, D. A. Price et al., “Sensitive and viable identification of antigen-specific CD8+ T cells by a flow cytometric assay for degranulation,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 281, no. 1-2, pp. 65–78, 2003.
- E. V. Ravkov, C. M. Myrick, and J. D. Altman, “Immediate early effector functions of virus-specific CD8+CCR7+ memory cells in humans defined by HLA and CC chemokine ligand 19 tetramers,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 170, no. 5, pp. 2461–2468, 2003.
- W. Garrett Nichols and M. Boeckh, “Recent advances in the therapy and prevention of CMV infections,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 25–40, 2000.
- E. S. Mocarski, “Immune escape and exploitation strategies of cytomegaloviruses: impact on and imitation of the major histocompatibility system,” Cellular Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 707–717, 2004.
- C. N. Kotton, D. Kumar, A. M. Caliendo et al., “International consensus guidelines on the management of cytomegalovirus in solid organ transplantation,” Transplantation, vol. 89, no. 7, pp. 779–795, 2010.
- S. Marsh, P. Parharm, and L. Barber, The HLA Fact Book, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2000.
- H. T. Maecker, J. Hassler, J. K. Payne et al., “Precision and linearity targets for validation of an IFNγ ELISPOT, cytokine flow cytometry, and tetramer assay using CMV peptides,” BMC Immunology, vol. 9, article 9, 2008.
- M. A. Owens, H. G. Vall, A. A. Hurley, and S. B. Wormsley, “Validation and quality control of immunophenotyping in clinical flow cytometry,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 243, no. 1-2, pp. 33–50, 2000.
- J. W. Gratama, M. Boeckh, R. Nakamura et al., “Immune monitoring with iTAg MHCTetramers for prediction of recurrent or persistent cytomegalovirus infection or disease in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients: a prospective multicenter study,” Blood, vol. 116, no. 10, pp. 1655–1662, 2010.
- H. D. Chen, A. E. Fraire, I. Joris, M. A. Brehm, R. M. Welsh, and L. K. Selin, “Memory CD8+ T cells in heterologous antiviral immunity and immunopathology in the lung,” Nature Immunology, vol. 2, no. 11, pp. 1067–1076, 2001.
- L. K. Selin and R. M. Welsh, “Plasticity of T cell memory responses to viruses,” Immunity, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 5–16, 2004.