- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 520970, 5 pages
Clinical Usefulness of the Serological Gastric Biopsy for the Diagnosis of Chronic Autoimmune Gastritis
1Laboratorio Analisi Chimico-Cliniche, Ospedale Civile, 35013 Cittadella, Italy
2Laboratorio di Patologia Clinica, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria, Policlinico di Bari, 70124 Bari, Italy
3Allergologia e Immunologia Clinica, Azienda Ospedaliera S. Maria degli Angeli, 33170 Pordenone, Italy
4Allergologia e Immunopatologia, Azienda Ospedaliero-Universitaria S. Maria della Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
5Laboratorio di Patologia Clinica, Azienda Ospedaliera S. Maria degli Angeli, 33170 Pordenone, Italy
6Laboratorio di Patologia Clinica, Ospedale San Antonio, 33028 Tolmezzo, Italy
Received 14 September 2012; Accepted 18 October 2012
Academic Editor: Dimitrios P. Bogdanos
Copyright © 2012 Antonio Antico et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. F. Dixon, R. M. Genta, J. H. Yardley, and P. Correa, “Classification and grading of gastritis. The updated Sydney System. International Workshop on the Histopathology of Gastritis, Houston 1994,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 20, pp. 1161–1181, 1996.
- C. E. M. De Block, I. H. De Leeuw, and L. F. Van Gaal, “Autoimmune gastritis in type 1 diabetes: a clinically oriented review,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 363–371, 2008.
- B. H. Toh, I. R. Van Driel, and P. A. Gleeson, “Mechanisms of disease: pernicious anemia,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 20, pp. 1441–1448, 1997.
- R. Arnold, “Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of hypergastrinemia,” Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 119, no. 19-20, pp. 564–569, 2007.
- M. Asano, M. Toda, N. Sakaguchi, and S. Sakaguchi, “Autoimmune disease as a consequence of developmental abnormality of a T cell subpopulation,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 387–396, 1996.
- O. Taguchi and T. Takahashi, “Administration of anti-interleukin-2 receptor α antibody in vivo induces localized autoimmune disease,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1608–1612, 1996.
- T. M. Martinelli, I. R. Van Driel, F. Alderuccio, P. A. Gleeson, and B. H. Toh, “Analysis of mononuclear cell infiltrate and cytokine production in murine autoimmune gastritis,” Gastroenterology, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 1791–1802, 1996.
- P. Correa, “Is gastric cancer preventable?” Gut, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1217–1219, 2004.
- D. Jevremovic, M. Torbenson, J. A. Murray, L. J. Burgart, and S. C. Abraham, “Atrophic autoimmune pangastritis: a distinctive form of antral and fundic gastritis associated with systemic autoimmune disease,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 1412–1419, 2006.
- A. Tucci, M. Bisceglia, M. Rugge et al., “Clinical usefulness of gastric-juice analysis in 2007: the stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 881–890, 2007.
- S. M. Sjoblom, P. Sipponen, and H. Jarvinen, “Gastroscopic follow up of pernicious anaemia patients,” Gut, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 28–32, 1993.
- R. H. Scofield, “Autoantibodies as predictors of disease,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9420, pp. 1544–1546, 2004.
- N. Bizzaro, R. Tozzoli, and Y. Shoenfeld, “Are we at a stage to predict autoimmune rheumatic diseases?” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1736–1744, 2007.
- D. Leslie, P. Lipsky, and A. L. Notkins, “Autoantibodies as predictors of disease,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 108, no. 10, pp. 1417–1422, 2001.
- R. Tozzoli, “The diagnostic role of autoantibodies in the prediction of organ-specific autoimmune diseases,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 577–587, 2008.
- D. Villalta, R. Tozzoli, E. Tonutti, and N. Bizzaro, “The laboratory approach to the diagnosis of autoimmune diseases: is it time to change?” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 359–365, 2007.
- R. Tozzoli, G. Kodermaz, A. R. Perosa et al., “Autoantibodies to parietal cells as predictors of atrophic body gastritis: a five-year prospective study in patients with autoimmune thyroid diseases,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 80–83, 2010.
- C. Hershko, A. Ronson, M. Souroujon, I. Maschler, J. Heyd, and J. Patz, “Variable hematologic presentation of autoimmune gastritis: age-related progression from iron deficiency to cobalamin depletion,” Blood, vol. 107, no. 4, pp. 1673–1679, 2006.
- A. Amedei, M. P. Bergman, B. J. Appelmelk et al., “Molecular mimicry between helicobacter pylori antigens and H+ ,K+-adenosine triphosphatase in human gastric autoimmunity,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 198, no. 8, pp. 1147–1156, 2003.
- M. M. D'Elios, B. J. Appelmelk, A. Amedei, M. P. Bergman, and G. Del Prete, “Gastric autoimmunity: the role of Helicobacter pylori and molecular mimicry,” Trends in Molecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 316–323, 2004.
- F. Presotto, B. Sabini, A. Cecchetto et al., “Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric autoimmune diseases: is there a link?” Helicobacter, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 578–584, 2003.
- I. R. van Driel, A. G. Baxter, K. L. Laurie et al., “Immunopathogenesis, loss of T cell tolerance and genetics of autoimmune gastritis,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 290–297, 2002.
- A. Oksanen, P. Sipponen, R. Karttunen et al., “Atrophic gastritis and Helicobacter pylori infection in outpatients referred for gastroscopy,” Gut, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 460–463, 2000.
- K. Varis, T. Ihamaki, and M. Harkonen, “Gastric morphology, function, and immunology in first-degree relatives of probands with pernicious anemia and controls,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 129–139, 1979.
- M. Nakao, K. Matsuo, H. Ito et al., “ABO genotype and the risk of gastric cancer, atrophic gastritis, and Helicobacter pylori infection,” Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1665–1672, 2011.
- A. Antico, “La gastrite autoimmune,” RIMeL/IJLaM, vol. 4, pp. 125–133, 2008 (Italian).
- A. Korstanje, G. den Hartog, I. Biemond, and C. B. H. W. Lamers, “The serological gastric biopsy: a non-endoscopical diagnostic approach in management of the dyspeptic patient: significance for primary care based on a survey of the literature,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, Supplement, vol. 37, no. 236, pp. 22–26, 2002.
- T. Storskrubb, P. Aro, J. Ronkainen et al., “Serum biomarkers provide an accurate method for diagnosis of atrophic gastritis in a general population: the Kalixanda study,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1448–1455, 2008.
- M. D. Burkitt, A. Varro, and D. M. Pritchard, “Importance of gastrin in the pathogenesis and treament of gastric tumors,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2009.