- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 651058, 7 pages
Automated Indirect Immunofluorescence Evaluation of Antinuclear Autoantibodies on HEp-2 Cells
1Institute for Experimental Immunology, Euroimmun AG, Seekamp 31, 23560 Lübeck, Germany
2Institute for Neuro- and Bioinformatics, University of Lübeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23562 Lübeck, Germany
Received 5 October 2012; Accepted 18 October 2012
Academic Editor: Dimitrios P. Bogdanos
Copyright © 2012 Jörn Voigt et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. H. Solomon, A. J. Kavanaugh, P. H. Schur et al., “Evidence-based guidelines for the use of immunologic tests: antinuclear antibody testing,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 434–444, 2002.
- A. Kavanaugh, R. Tomar, J. Reveille, D. H. Solomon, and H. A. Homburger, “Guidelines for clinical use of the antinuclear antibody test and tests for specific autoantibodies to nuclear antigens,” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 71–81, 2000.
- A. Dellavance, A. Gabriel, B. Nuccitelli et al., “Third Brazilian Consensus for autoantibodies screening in HEp-2 cells (ANA). Recommendations for standardization of autoantibodies screening trial in HEp-2 cells, quality control and clinical associations,” Revista Brasileira de Reumatologia, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 89–109, 2009.
- C. Sordet, J. Goetz, and J. Sibilia, “Contribution of autoantibodies to the diagnosis and nosology of inflammatory muscle disease,” Joint Bone Spine, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 646–654, 2006.
- American College of Rheumatology, “American College of Rheumatology position statement: methodology of testing for antinuclear antibodies,” pp. 1–3, 2009, http://www.rheumatology.org/.
- P. L. Meroni and P. H. Schur, “ANA screening: an old test with new recommendations,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. 1420–1422, 2010.
- D. Almeida Gonzalez, A. Cabrera de Leon, C. del Cristo Rodriguez Perez, B. Brito Diaz, et al., “Efficiency of different strategies to detect autoantibodies to extractable nuclear antigens,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 360, no. 1-2, pp. 89–95, 2010.
- A. S. Wiik, M. Høier-Madsen, J. Forslid, P. Charles, and J. Meyrowitsch, “Antinuclear antibodies: a contemporary nomenclature using HEp-2 cells,” Journal of Autoimmunity, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 276–290, 2010.
- S. R. Binder, “Autoantibody detection using multiplex technologies,” Lupus, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 412–421, 2006.
- J. G. Hanly, L. Su, V. Farewell, and M. J. Fritzler, “Comparison between multiplex assays for autoantibody detection in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 358, no. 1-2, pp. 75–80, 2010.
- E. Bonilla, L. Francis, F. Allam et al., “Immunofluorescence microscopy is superior to fluorescent beads for detection of antinuclear antibody reactivity in systemic lupus erythematosus patients,” Clinical Immunology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 18–21, 2007.
- A. P. Nifli, G. Notas, M. Mamoulaki et al., “Comparison of a multiplex, bead-based fluorescent assay and immunofluorescence methods for the detection of ANA and ANCA autoantibodies in human serum,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 311, no. 1-2, pp. 189–197, 2006.
- E. Ulvestad, “Performance characteristics and clinical utility of a hybrid ELISA for detection of ANA,” Acta Pathologica, Microbiologica et Immunologica Scandinavica, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 217–222, 2001.
- P. M. Bayer, S. Bauerfeind, J. Bienvenu et al., “Multicenter evaluation study on a new HEP2 ANA screening enzyme immune assay,” Journal of Autoimmunity, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 89–93, 1999.
- O. Shovman, B. Gilburd, O. Barzilai et al., “Evaluation of the BioPlex 2200 ANA screen. Analysis of 510 healthy subjects: incidence of natural/predictive autoantibodies,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1050, pp. 380–388, 2005.
- R. Tozzoli, N. Bizzaro, E. Tonutti et al., “Guidelines for the laboratory use of autoantibody tests in the diagnosis and monitoring of autoimmune rheumatic diseases,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 316–324, 2002.
- K. Egerer, D. Roggenbuck, R. Hiemann et al., “Automated evaluation of autoantibodies on human epithelial-2 cells as an approach to standardize cell-based immunofluorescence tests,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 12, no. 2, article no. R40, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- S. Kivity, B. Gilburd, N. Gmon-Levin, M. G. Carrasco, et al., “A novel automated indirect immunofluorescence autoantibody evaluation,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 503–509, 2012.
- A. Rigon, F. Buzzulini, P. Soda et al., “Novel opportunities in automated classification of antinuclear antibodies on HEp-2 cells,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 647–652, 2011.
- A. Melegari, C. Bonaguri, A. Russo, B. Luisita, et al., “A comparative study on the reliability of an automated system for the evaluation of cell-based indirect immunofluorescence,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 713–716, 2012.
- R. Hiemann, T. Büttner, T. Krieger, D. Roggenbuck, U. Sack, and K. Conrad, “Challenges of automated screening and differentiation of non-organ specific autoantibodies on HEp-2 cells,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2009.
- C. E. Buchner, C. C. Bryant, P. A. Baker, R. A. Rosenblum, et al., “Digital image analysis results show high reproducibility and agreement with human interpretation on HEp-2 cells,” in Proceedings of the 10th Dresden Symposium on Autoantibodies, 2011.
- D. G. Altman, Practical Statistics for Medical Research, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1991.
- J. Savige, D. Davies, R. J. Falk, J. C. Jennette, and A. Wiik, “Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies and associated diseases: a review of the clinical and laboratory features,” Kidney International, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 846–862, 2000.