- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 720768, 12 pages
Epithelial-to-Mesenchymal Transition in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma and Pancreatic Tumor Cell Lines: The Role of Neutrophils and Neutrophil-Derived Elastase
1Institut für Immunologie, Universität Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
2Chirurgische Universitätsklinik, Universität Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
3Pathologisches Institut, Universität Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 11 July 2012; Revised 4 September 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editor: G. Opdenakker
Copyright © 2012 Thomas Große-Steffen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Mantovani, “Molecular pathways linking inflammation and cancer,” Current Molecular Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 369–373, 2010.
- L. M. Coussens and Z. Werb, “Inflammation and cancer,” Nature, vol. 420, no. 6917, pp. 860–867, 2002.
- A. D. Gregory and A. M. Houghton, “Tumor-associated neutrophils: new targets for cancer therapy,” Cancer Research, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 2411–2416, 2011.
- A. L. Warshaw and C. Fernandez-Del Castillo, “Medical progress: pancreatic carcinoma,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 326, no. 7, pp. 455–465, 1992.
- M. D. Reid, O. Basturk, D. Thirabanjasak et al., “Tumor-infiltrating neutrophils in pancreatic neoplasia,” Modern Pathology, vol. 24, no. 12, pp. 1612–1619, 2011.
- S. Khayyata, O. Basturk, and N. V. Adsay, “Invasive micropapillary carcinomas of the ampullo-pancreatobiliary region and their association with tumor-infiltrating neutrophils,” Modern Pathology, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1504–1511, 2005.
- M. M. Gaida, F. Günther, C. Wagner et al., “Expression of the CXCR6 on polymorphonuclear neutrophils in pancreatic carcinoma and in acute, localized bacterial infections,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 154, no. 2, pp. 216–223, 2008.
- M. M. Gaida, T. Welsch, E. Herpel et al., “MHC class II expression in pancreatic tumors: a link to intratumoral inflammation,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 460, no. 1, pp. 47–60, 2012.
- V. Tjomsland, L. Niklasson, P. Sandström et al., “The desmoplastic stroma plays an essential role in the accumulation and modulation of infiltrated immune cells in pancreatic adenocarcinoma,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2011, Article ID 212810, 12 pages, 2011.
- O. De Wever, P. Demetter, M. Mareel, and M. Bracke, “Stromal myofibroblasts are drivers of invasive cancer growth,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 123, no. 10, pp. 2229–2238, 2008.
- E. D. Hay, “An overview of epithelio-mesenchymal transformation,” Acta Anatomica, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 8–20, 1995.
- R. Kalluri and R. A. Weinberg, “The basics of epithelial-mesenchymal transition,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 1420–1428, 2009.
- D. S. Micalizzi, S. M. Farabaugh, and H. L. Ford, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in cancer: parallels between normal development and tumor progression,” Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 117–134, 2010.
- J. von Burstin, S. Eser, M. C. Paul et al., “E-cadherin regulates metastasis of pancreatic cancer in vivo and is suppressed by a SNAIL/HDAC1/HDAC2 repressor complex,” Gastroenterology, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. e361–e365, 2009.
- H. J. Maier, T. Wirth, and H. Beug, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in pancreatic carcinoma,” Cancers, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 2058–2083, 2010.
- S. B. Krantz, M. A. Shields, S. Dangi-Garimella, D. J. Bentrem, and H. G. Munshi, “Contribution of epithelial-mesenchymal transition to pancreatic cancer progression,” Cancers, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 2084–2097, 2010.
- O. De Wever, P. Pauwels, B. De Craene et al., “Molecular and pathological signatures of epithelial-mesenchymal transitions at the cancer invasion front,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 130, no. 3, pp. 481–494, 2008.
- R. Kalluri and E. G. Neilson, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition and its implications for fibrosis,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 1776–1784, 2003.
- F. T. Bosman, F. Carneiro, R. H. Hruban, and N. D. Theise, Eds., World Health Organisation Classification of Tumours. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Digestive System, IARC Press, Lyon, France, 2010.
- G. O. Ceyhan, F. Bergmann, M. Kadihasanoglu et al., “The neurotrophic factor artemin influences the extent of neural damage and growth in chronic pancreatitis,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 534–544, 2007.
- M. M. Gaida, S. T. Bach, F. Gunther et al., “Expression of galectin-3 in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” Pathology & Oncology Research, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 299–307, 2011.
- D. C. Allred, G. M. Clark, R. Elledge et al., “Association of p53 protein expression with tumor cell proliferation rate and clinical outcome in node-negative breast cancer,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 200–206, 1993.
- M. Erkan, C. Reiser-Erkan, C. W. Michalski, and J. Kleeff, “Tumor microenvironment and progression of pancreatic cancer,” Experimental Oncology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 128–131, 2010.
- Z. Wang, Y. Li, A. Ahmad et al., “Pancreatic cancer: understanding and overcoming chemoresistance,” Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 2011.
- M. Sabbah, S. Emami, G. Redeuilh et al., “Molecular signature and therapeutic perspective of the epithelial-to-mesenchymal transitions in epithelial cancers,” Drug Resistance Updates, vol. 11, no. 4-5, pp. 123–151, 2008.
- O. De Wever, L. Lapeire, A. De Boeck, and A. Hendrix, “Cellular and molecular mechanisms of cancer cell invasion,” Verhandelingen—Koninklijke Academie voor Geneeskunde van Belgie, vol. 72, no. 5-6, pp. 309–326, 2010.
- J. J. Zhao, K. Pan, W. Wang, et al., “The prognostic value of tumor-infiltrating neutrophils in gastric adenocarcinoma after resection,” PloS ONE, vol. 7, no. 3, Article ID e33655, 2012.
- D. Sarrió, S. M. Rodriguez-Pinilla, D. Hardisson, A. Cano, G. Moreno-Bueno, and J. Palacios, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition in breast cancer relates to the basal-like phenotype,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 989–997, 2008.
- A. Natalwala, R. Spychal, and C. Tselepis, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition mediated tumourigenesis in the gastrointestinal tract,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 24, pp. 3792–3797, 2008.
- M. M. Javle, J. F. Gibbs, K. K. Iwata et al., “Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition (EMT) and activated extracellular signal-regulated kinase (p-Erk) in surgically resected pancreatic cancer,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 3527–3533, 2007.
- S. Nakajima, R. Doi, E. Toyoda et al., “N-cadherin expression and epithelial-mesenchymal transition in pancreatic carcinoma,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 4125–4133, 2004.
- J. M. M. Cates, R. H. Byrd, L. E. Fohn, A. D. Tatsas, M. K. Washington, and C. C. Black, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition markers in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma,” Pancreas, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. e1–e6, 2009.
- U. Wellner, J. Schubert, U. C. Burk et al., “The EMT-activator ZEB1 promotes tumorigenicity by repressing stemness-inhibiting microRNAs,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 1487–1495, 2009.
- J. Mayerle, J. Schnekenburger, B. Krüger et al., “Extracellular cleavage of E-cadherin by leukocyte elastase during acute experimental pancreatitis in rats,” Gastroenterology, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 1251–1267, 2005.
- S. B. Krantz, M. A. Shields, S. Dangi-Garimella, H. G. Munshi, and D. J. Bentrem, “Contribution of epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and cancer stem cells to pancreatic cancer progression,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 105–112, 2012.
- S. Tamiya, L. Liu, and H. J. Kaplan, “Epithelial-mesenchymal transition and proliferation of retinal pigment epithelial cells initiated upon loss of cell-cell contact,” Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 2755–2763, 2010.
- J. Miyoshi and Y. Takai, “Structural and functional associations of apical junctions with cytoskeleton,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1778, no. 3, pp. 670–691, 2008.
- M. J. Wheelock, Y. Shintani, M. Maeda, Y. Fukumoto, and K. R. Johnson, “Cadherin switching,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 121, no. 6, pp. 727–735, 2008.
- Y. Liu and D. C. Dean, “Tumor initiation via loss of cell contact inhibition versus Ras mutation: do all roads lead to EMT?” Cell Cycle, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 897–900, 2010.
- A. M. Houghton, “The paradox of tumor-associated neutrophils: fueling tumor growth with cytotoxic substances,” Cell Cycle, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 1732–1737, 2010.