- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 831282, 8 pages
Immunological Evaluation and Comparison of Different EV71 Vaccine Candidates
1Vaccine R&D Center, National Institute of Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan Township, Miaoli County, Taiwan
2Institute of Biotechnology, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
3Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
4Graduate Institute of Immunology, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Received 18 February 2012; Revised 31 July 2012; Accepted 5 August 2012
Academic Editor: Sazaly Abu Bakar
Copyright © 2012 Ai-Hsiang Chou et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Ho, E. R. Chen, K. H. Hsu et al., “An epidemic of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 13, pp. 929–935, 1999.
- P. C. McMinn, “An overview of the evolution of enterovirus 71 and its clinical and public health significance,” FEMS Microbiology Reviews, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 91–107, 2002.
- J. Xu, Y. Qian, S. Wang et al., “EV71: an emerging infectious disease vaccine target in the Far East?” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 20, pp. 3516–3521, 2010.
- M. S. Lee and L. Y. Chang, “Development of enterovirus 71 vaccines,” Expert Review of Vaccines, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 149–156, 2010.
- T. Solomon, P. Lewthwaite, D. Perera, M. J. Cardosa, P. McMinn, and M. H. Ooi, “Virology, epidemiology, pathogenesis, and control of enterovirus 71,” The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 778–790, 2010.
- M. L. Huang, M. S. Ho, and M. S. Lee, “Enterovirus 71 vaccine: when will it be available?” Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, vol. 110, pp. 425–427, 2011.
- N. J. Schmidt, E. H. Lennette, and H. H. Ho, “An apparently new enterovirus isolated from patients with disease of the central nervous system,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 129, no. 3, pp. 304–309, 1974.
- Y. C. Chung, M. S. Ho, J. C. Wu et al., “Immunization with virus-like particles of enterovirus 71 elicits potent immune responses and protects mice against lethal challenge,” Vaccine, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 1855–1862, 2008.
- B. A. Brown and M. A. Pallansch, “Complete nucleotide sequence of enterovirus 71 is distinct from poliovirus,” Virus Research, vol. 39, no. 2-3, pp. 195–205, 1995.
- J. M. Bible, M. Iturriza-Gomara, B. Megson et al., “Molecular epidemiology of human enterovirus 71 in the United Kingdom from 1998 to 2006,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 3192–3200, 2008.
- Y. F. Chan, I. C. Sam, and S. C. Abubakar, “Phylogenetic designation of enterovirus 71 genotypes and subgenotypes using complete genome sequences,” Infection, Genetics and Evolution, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 404–412, 2010.
- S. W. Huang, Y. W. Hsu, D. J. Smith et al., “Reemergence of enterovirus 71 in 2008 in Taiwan: dynamics of genetic and antigenic evolution from 1998 to 2008,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 3653–3662, 2009.
- E. Diamanti, B. Ibrahimi, F. Tafaj et al., “Surveillance of suspected poliomyelitis in Albania, 1980-1995: suggestion of increased risk of vaccine associated poliomyelitis,” Vaccine, vol. 16, no. 9-10, pp. 940–948, 1998.
- R. C. Chan, D. J. Penney, D. Little, I. W. Carter, J. A. Roberts, and W. D. Rawlinson, “Hepatitis and death following vaccination with 17D-204 yellow fever vaccine,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9276, pp. 121–122, 2001.
- C. N. Wu, Y. C. Lin, C. Fann, N. S. Liao, S. R. Shih, and M. S. Ho, “Protection against lethal enterovirus 71 infection in newborn mice by passive immunization with subunit VP1 vaccines and inactivated virus,” Vaccine, vol. 20, no. 5-6, pp. 895–904, 2001.
- C. C. Liu, W. C. Lian, M. Butler, and S. C. Wu, “High immunogenic enterovirus 71 strain and its production using serum-free microcarrier Vero cell culture,” Vaccine, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2007.
- W. S. Tung, S. A. Bakar, Z. Sekawi, and R. Rosli, “DNA vaccine constructs against enterovirus 71 elicit immune response in mice,” Genetic Vaccines and Therapy, vol. 5, article 6, 2007.
- J. Y. Chang, C. P. Chang, H. H. P. Tsai, et al., “Selection and characterization of vaccine strain for Enterovirus 71 vaccine development,” Vaccine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 703–711, 2012.
- C. C. Liu, H. W. Chang, G. Yang, et al., “Development of a quantitative enzyme linked immunosorbent assay for monitoring the EV71 vaccine manufacturing process,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 176, no. 1-2, pp. 60–68, 2011.
- C. C. Liu, A. H. Chou, S. P. Lien et al., “Identification and characterization of a cross-neutralization epitope of Enterovirus 71,” Vaccine, vol. 29, no. 26, pp. 4362–4372, 2011.
- L. J. Reed and H. Muench, “A simple method of estimating fifty per cent endpoints,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 493–497, 1938.
- C. C. Liu, M. S. Guo, F. H. Y. Lin et al., “Purification and characterization of enterovirus 71 viral particles produced from vero cells grown in a serum-free microcarrier bioreactor system,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e20005, 2011.
- H. Panezutti, O. James, E. J. Hansen et al., “Identification of surface-exposed B-cell epitopes recognized by Haemophilus influenzae type b P1-specific monoclonal antibodies,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 1867–1872, 1993.
- D. G. W. Foo, S. Alonso, M. C. Phoon, N. P. Ramachandran, V. T. K. Chow, and C. L. Poh, “Identification of neutralizing linear epitopes from the VP1 capsid protein of Enterovirus 71 using synthetic peptides,” Virus Research, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 2007.
- D. G. W. Foo, S. Alonso, V. T. K. Chow, and C. L. Poh, “Passive protection against lethal enterovirus 71 infection in newborn mice by neutralizing antibodies elicited by a synthetic peptide,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 1299–1306, 2007.
- J. N. Liu, W. Wang, J. Y. Duo et al., “Combined peptides of human enterovirus 71 protect against virus infection in mice,” Vaccine, vol. 28, no. 46, pp. 7444–7451, 2010.
- A. Roaldao, M. C. M. Mellado, L. R. Castiho, M. J. T. Corrondo, and P. M. Alves, “Virus-like particles in vaccine development,” Expert Review of Vaccines, vol. 9, pp. 1149–1176, 2010.
- J. F. Han, R. Y. Cao, Y. Q. Deng et al., “Antibody dependent enhancement infection of enterovirus 71 in vitro and in vivo,” Virology Journal, vol. 8, article 106, 2011.
- S. M. Wang, I. C. Chen, L. Y. Su, K. J. Huang, H. Y. Lei, and C. C. Liu, “Enterovirus 71 infection of monocytes with antibody-dependent enhancement,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1517–1523, 2010.
- E. J. Bek, K. M. Hussain, P. Phuektes et al., “Formalin-inactivated vaccine provokes cross-protective immunity in a mouse model of human enterovirus 71 infection,” Vaccine, vol. 29, no. 29-30, pp. 4829–4838, 2011.
- C. Dong, L. Liu, H. Zhao et al., “Immunoprotection elicited by an enterovirus type 71 experimental inactivated vaccine in mice and rhesus monkeys,” Vaccine, vol. 29, pp. 6269–6275, 2011.