- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 928187, 7 pages
Transfer of Maternal Immunity to Newborns of Diabetic Mothers
1Institute of Biological and Health Science, Federal University of Mato Grosso, 78600-000 Barra do Garças, MT, Brazil
2Postgraduate Program in Gynecology, Obstetrics and Mastology, Botucatu Medical School, Sao Paulo State University (Unesp), 18600-000 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 7 July 2012; Accepted 8 August 2012
Academic Editor: K. Blaser
Copyright © 2012 Eduardo Luzía França et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. T. Costa-Carvalho, V. Nudelman, and M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, “Defense mechanisms against infections,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 7, pp. 311–317, 1998.
- L. Å. Hanson, “Session 1: feeding and infant development Breast-feeding and immune function—symposium on 'Nutrition in early life: new horizons in a new century',” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 384–396, 2007.
- R. Kelsch, K. Hutt, U. Cassens, and W. Sibrowski, “Semiquantitative measurement of IgG subclasses and IgM of platelet-specific antibodies in a glycoprotein-specific platelet-antigen capture assay,” British Journal of Haematology, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 141–150, 2002.
- W. A. Walker, “The dynamic effects of breastfeeding on intestinal development and host defense,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 554, pp. 155–170, 2004.
- P. Palmeira, C. Quinello, A. L. Silveira-Lessa, C. A. Zago, and M. Carneiro-Sampaio, “IgG placental transfer in healthy and pathological pregnancies,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2012, Article ID 985646, 13 pages, 2012.
- N. Starobinas and M. M. Carneiro-Sampaio, “Monocyte function and lysozyme activity in cord blood,” Allergologia et Immunopathologia, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 129–132, 1989.
- A. C. Honorio-França, M. P. S. M. Carvalho, L. Isaac, L. R. Trabulsi, and M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, “Colostral mononuclear phagocytes are able to kill enteropathogenic Escherichia coli opsonized with colostral IgA,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 1997.
- E. L. Franca, T. D. R. Nicomedes, I. D. M. P. Calderon, and A. C. H. Franca, “Time-dependent alterations of soluble and cellular components in human milk,” Biological Rhythm Research, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 333–347, 2010.
- E. L. França, R. V. Bitencourt, M. Fujimori, T. Cristina de Morais, I. de Mattos Paranhos Calderon, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Human colostral phagocytes eliminate enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli opsonized by colostrum supernatant,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2011.
- E. Bognetti, F. Meschi, C. Malavasi et al., “HLA antigens in Italian type 1 diabetic patients: role of DR3/DR4 antigens and breast feeding in the onset of the disease,” Acta Diabetologica, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 229–232, 1992.
- H. K. Akerblom, E. Savilhti, T. T. Saukkonen et al., “The case for elimination of cow's milk in early infancy in the prevention of type 1 diabetes: the finnish experience,” Diabetes/Metabolism Reviews, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 269–278, 1993.
- G. Morceli, E. L. França, V. B. Magalhães, D. C. Damasceno, I. M. P. Calderon, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Diabetes induced immunological and biochemical changes in human colostrum,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 550–556, 2011.
- T. C. Alba-Loureiro, C. D. Munhoz, J. O. Martins et al., “Neutrophil function and metabolism in individuals with diabetes mellitus,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1037–1044, 2007.
- E. L. França, G. Morceli, D. L. G. Fagundes, M. V. C. Rudge, I. D. M. P. Calderon, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Secretory IgA-Fcα receptor interaction modulating phagocytosis and microbicidal activity by phagocytes in human colostrum of diabetics,” APMIS, vol. 119, pp. 710–719, 2011.
- M. V. C. Rudge, I. D. M. P. Calderon, M. D. Ramos, J. F. Abbade, and L. M. S. S. Rugolo, “Perinatal outcome of pregnancies complicated by diabetes and by maternal daily hyperglycemia not related to diabetes: a retrospective 10-year analysis,” Gynecologic and Obstetric Investigation, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 108–112, 2000.
- G. Mancini, A. O. Carbonara, and J. F. Heremans, “Immunochemical quantitation of antigens by single radial immunodiffusion,” Immunochemistry, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 235–244, 1965.
- J. Spencer, M. Choy, T. Hussell, et al., “Properties of human thymic B cells,” Immunology, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 596–600, 1992.
- L. M. Camara, S. B. Carbonare, M. L. M. Silva, and M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, “Inhibition of enteropathogenic Escherichia coli (EPEC) adhesion to HeLa cells by human colostrum: detection of specific sIgA related to EPEC outer-membrane proteins,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 307–310, 1994.
- R. Bellinati-Pires, M. M. Salgado, I. P. Hypolito, A. S. Grumach, and M. M. S. Carneiro-Sampaio, “Application of a fluorochrome-lysostaphin assay to the detection of phagocytic and bactericidal disturbances in human neutrophils and monocytes,” Journal of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 337–342, 1995.
- A. Malek, R. Sager, P. Kuhn, K. H. Nicolaides, and H. Schneider, “Evolution of maternofetal transport of immunoglobulins during human pregnancy,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 248–255, 1996.
- K. Gaither, A. N. Quraishi, and N. P. Illsley, “Diabetes alters the expression and activity of the human placental GLUT1 glucose transporter,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 695–701, 1999.
- I. P. Moraes, A. V. Lazzetti, and C. K. Farhat, “Transplacental transport of antibodies: implications for the protection of the newborn and immunization strategies,” Revista Paulista de Pediatria, vol. 19, pp. 87–92, 2001.
- J. P. van den Berg, E. A. M. Westerbeek, F. R. M. van der Klis, G. A. M. Berbers, and R. M. Van Elburg, “Transplacental transport of IgG antibodies to preterm infants: a review of the literature,” Early Human Development, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 67–72, 2011.
- J. L. Michaux, J. F. Heremans, and W. H. Hitzig, “Immunoglobulin levels in cord-blood serum of negroes and Caucasians,” Tropical and Geographical Medicine, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 10–14, 1966.
- J. C. Petit, A. Galinha, and J. C. Salomon, “Immunoglobulins in the intestinal content of the human fetus with special reference to IgA,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 373–375, 1973.
- J. S. Taylor, J. E. Kacmar, M. Nothnagle, and R. A. Lawrence, “A systematic review of the literature associating breastfeeding with type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 320–326, 2005.
- J. A. Bellanti, J. V. Kadlec, and A. Escobar-Gutierrez, “Cytokines and the immune response,” Pediatric Clinics of North America, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 597–621, 1994.
- A. R. Lawton, “B-cell development in different fetus,” in Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, R. A. Polin and W. W. Fox, Eds., pp. 1432–1438, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1992.
- S. N. Islam, L. Ahmed, M. N. I. Khan, S. Huque, A. Begum, and A. B. M. Yunus, “Immune components (IgA, IgM, IgG, immune cells) of colostrum of Bangladeshi mothers,” Pediatrics International, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 543–548, 2006.
- J. C. Kent, “How Breastfeeding Works,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 564–570, 2007.
- L. Ciardelli, F. Garofoli, M. Stronati et al., “Human colostrum lymphocytes aid their effector cytokines actively aid and the development of the newborn immune system,” International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 781–786, 2008.
- G. Chirico, R. Marzollo, S. Cortinovis, C. Fonte, and A. Gasparoni, “Antiinfective properties of human milk,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 138, no. 9, pp. 1801S–1806S, 2008.
- A. C. França-Botelho, J. L. França, F. M. S. Oliveira et al., “Melatonin reduces the severity of experimental amoebiasis,” Parasites and Vectors, vol. 4, no. 1, article 62, 2011.
- R. M. Goldblum and A. S. Goldman, “Immunological components of milk: formation and function,” in Handbook of Mucosal Immunology, P. L. Ogra, W. Strober, G. R. McGhee, G. R. Lamm, and J. Bienenstock, Eds., pp. 643–652, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- A. J. Rassias, C. A. S. Marrin, J. Arruda, P. K. Whalen, M. Beach, and M. P. Yeager, “Insulin infusion improves neutrophil function in diabetic cardiac surgery patients,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 1011–1016, 1999.
- E. L. França, N. D. Feliciano, K. A. Silva, C. K. Bucalen Ferrari, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Modulatory role of melatonin on superoxide release by spleen macrophages isolated from alloxan-induced diabetic rats,” Bratislava Medical Journal, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 517–522, 2009.
- A. C. H. França, K. A. Silva, N. D. Feliciano, I. M. P. Calderon, M. V. C. Rudge, and E. L. França, “Melatonin effects on macrophage in diabetic rats and the maternal hyperglycemic implications for newborn rats,” International Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 87–92, 2009.
- M. Djaldetti, H. Salman, M. Bergman, R. Djaldetti, and H. Bessler, “Phagocytosis—the mighty weapon of the silent warriors,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 421–431, 2002.
- C. K. B. Ferrari, E. L. França, and A. C. Honorio-França, “Nitric oxide, health and disease,” Journal of Applied Biomedicine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 163–173, 2009.
- M. Dizdaroglu, P. Jaruga, M. Birincioglu, and H. Rodriguez, “Free radical-induced damage to DNA: mechanisms and measurement,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1102–1115, 2002.
- Z. Y. Jiang, A. C. S. Woollard, and S. P. Wolff, “Hydrogen peroxide production during experimental protein glycation,” FEBS Letters, vol. 268, no. 1, pp. 69–71, 1990.
- E. C. Tsai, I. B. Hirsch, J. D. Brunzell, and A. Chait, “Reduced plasma peroxyl radical trapping capacity and increased susceptibility of LDL to oxidation in poorly controlled IDDM,” Diabetes, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1010–1014, 1994.
- M. Kawamura, J. W. Heinecke, and A. Chait, “Pathophysiological concentrations of glucose promote oxidative modification of low density lipoprotein by a superoxide-dependent pathway,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 771–778, 1994.
- L. Schack-Nielsen and K. F. Michaelsen, “Advances in our understanding of the biology of human milk and its effects on the offspring,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 503S–510S, 2007.
- C. M. Van Beusekom, T. A. Zeegers, I. A. Martini et al., “Milk of patients with tightly controlled insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus has normal macronutrient and fatty acid composition,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 938–943, 1993.
- A. M. D. M. Oliveira, C. C. Da Cunha, N. Penha-Silva, V. O. S. Abdallah, and P. T. Jorge, “Interference of the blood glucose control in the transition between phases I and II of lactogenesis in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Endocrinologia e Metabologia, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 473–481, 2008.