- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 210490, 8 pages
Epidemiology of Human Respiratory Viruses in Children with Acute Respiratory Tract Infections in Jinan, China
1Shandong Medicinal Biotechnology Centre, Key Laboratory for Modern Medicine and Technology of Shandong Province, Key Laboratory for Virology of Shandong Province, Key Laboratory for Rare & Uncommon Diseases of Shandong Province, Key Laboratory for Biotech-Drugs, Ministry of Health, Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, No. 18877 Jingshi Road, Jinan 250062, China
2School of Medicine and Life Sciences, University of Jinan-Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, Jinan 250200, China
3Department of Laboratory, Qilu Children’s Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan 250022, China
4School of Dental Medicine, Shandong University, Jinan 250012, China
5Institute of Basic Medicine, Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, Jinan 250062, China
6Respiratory Department, Qilu Children’s Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan 250022, China
Received 13 July 2013; Revised 22 October 2013; Accepted 6 November 2013
Academic Editor: Mario Clerici
Copyright © 2013 Yanqin Lu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A.-M. Demers, P. Morency, F. Mberyo-Yaah et al., “Risk factors for mortality among children hospitalized because of acute respiratory infections in Bangui, Central African Republic,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 424–432, 2000.
- J. Garbino, M. W. Gerbase, W. Wunderli et al., “Respiratory viruses and severe lower respiratory tract complications in hospitalized patients,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 1033–1039, 2004.
- J. P. Mizgerd, “Lung infection—a public health priority,” PLoS Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 0155–0158, 2006.
- J. S. M. Peiris, S. T. Lai, L. L. M. Poon et al., “Coronavirus as a possible cause of severe acute respiratory syndrome,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9366, pp. 1319–1325, 2003.
- L. van der Hoek, K. Pyrc, M. F. Jebbink et al., “Identification of a new human coronavirus,” Nature Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 368–373, 2004.
- P. C. Y. Woo, S. K. P. Lau, C.-M. Chu et al., “Characterization and complete genome sequence of a novel coronavirus, coronavirus HKU1, from patients with pneumonia,” Journal of Virology, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 884–895, 2005.
- T. Allander, M. T. Tammi, M. Eriksson, A. Bjerkner, A. Tiveljung-Lindell, and B. Andersson, “Cloning of a human parvovirus by molecular screening of respiratory tract samples,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 36, pp. 12891–12896, 2005.
- M. Debiaggi, F. Canducci, R. Brerra et al., “Molecular epidemiology of KI and WU polyomaviruses in infants with acute respiratory disease and in adult hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 153–156, 2010.
- L. Ren, R. Gonzalez, Z. Xie et al., “WU and KI polyomavirus present in the respiratory tract of children, but not in immunocompetent adults,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 330–333, 2008.
- C. Larcher, V. Jeller, H. Fischer, and H. P. Huemer, “Prevalence of respiratory viruses, including newly identified viruses, in hospitalised children in Austria,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 681–686, 2006.
- F. E. A. Moura, A. C. B. Perdigão, and M. M. Siqueira, “Seasonality of influenza in the tropics: a distinct pattern in northeastern Brazil,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 180–183, 2009.
- J. Shen, Q. R. Zhu, M. Zeng, H. Yu, and X. H. Wang, “Molecular epidemiology of human metapneumovirus in children with acute lower respiratory tract infections in Shanghai,” Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 447–450, 2010.
- S. Sonoda, Y. Gotoh, F. Bann, and T. Nakayama, “Acute lower respiratory infections in hospitalized children over a 6 year period in Tokyo,” Pediatrics International, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 519–524, 1999.
- S. Zamberi, I. Zulkifli, and I. Ilina, “Respiratory viruses detected in hospitalised paediatric patients with respiratory infections,” Medical Journal of Malaysia, vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 681–687, 2003.
- Y. Lu, J. Tong, F. Pei et al., “Viral aetiology in adults with acute upper respiratory tract infection in jinan, northern china,” Clinical and Developmental Immunology, vol. 2013, Article ID 869521, 7 pages, 2013.
- M. T. Coiras, J. C. Aguilar, M. L. García, I. Casas, and P. Pérez-Breña, “Simultaneous detection of fourteen respiratory viruses in clinical specimens by two multiplex reverse transcription nested-PCR assays,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 484–495, 2004.
- M. T. Coiras, P. Pérez-Breña, M. L. García, and I. Casas, “Simultaneous detection of influenza A, B, and C viruses, respiratory syncytial virus, and adenoviruses in clinical samples by multiplex reverse transcription nested-PCR assay,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 132–144, 2003.
- J. S. M. Peiris, W.-H. Tang, K.-H. Chan et al., “Children with respiratory disease associated with metapneumovirus in Hong Kong,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 628–633, 2003.
- A. Allard, R. Girones, P. Juto, and G. Wadell, “Polymerase chain reaction for detection of adenoviruses in stool samples,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 2659–2667, 1990.
- A. Kapoor, P. Simmonds, E. Slikas et al., “Human bocaviruses are highly diverse, dispersed, recombination prone, and prevalent in enteric infections,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 201, no. 11, pp. 1633–1643, 2010.
- S. Lambert, D. M. Whiley, N. T.o'Neill et al., “Comparing nose-throat swabs and nasopharyngeal aspirates collected from children with symptoms for respiratory virus identification using real-time polymerase chain reaction,” Pediatrics, vol. 122, no. 3, pp. e615–e620, 2008.
- L. Ren, R. Gonzalez, Z. Wang et al., “Prevalence of human respiratory viruses in adults with acute respiratory tract infections in Beijing, 2005—2007,” Clinical Microbiology and Infection, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1146–1153, 2009.
- H. Yu, S. Cauchemez, C. A. Donnelly et al., “Transmission dynamics, border entry screening, and school holidays during the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic, China,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 758–766, 2012.
- C. Manoha, S. Espinosa, S.-L. Aho, F. Huet, and P. Pothier, “Epidemiological and clinical features of hMPV, RSV and RVs infections in young children,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 221–226, 2007.
- C.-C. Sung, H. Chi, N.-C. Chiu et al., “Viral etiology of acute lower respiratory tract infections in hospitalized young children in Northern Taiwan,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 184–190, 2011.
- J. Teeratakulpisarn, T. Ekalaksananan, C. Pientong, and C. Limwattananon, “Human metapneumovirus and respiratory syncytial virus detection in young children with acute bronchiolitis,” Asian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 25, no. 2-3, pp. 139–145, 2007.
- L. Zhang, L. Tang, Z. Xie et al., “Viral etiology and clinical characteristics in children with acute lower repiratory tract infection,” Journal of Applied Clinical Pediatrics, vol. 23, no. 22, pp. 1743–1744, 2008.
- C. Liu, Z. Xie, R. Gonzalez, et al., “Study of viral etiology of acute lower respiratory tract infection in children,” Chinese Journal of Practical Pediatrics, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 270–273, 2009.
- Z. D. Xie, Y. Xiao, C. Y. Liu et al., “Three years surveillance of viral etiology of acute lower respiratory tract infection in children from 2007 to 2010,” Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi, vol. 49, no. 10, pp. 745–749.
- N.-G. Xiao, B. Zhang, Z.-J. Duan et al., “Viral etiology of 1165 hospitalized children with acute lower respiratory tract infection,” Chinese Journal of Contemporary Pediatrics, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 28–32, 2012.
- X.-W. Qu, Z.-J. Duan, Z.-Y. Qi et al., “Human bocavirus infection, People's Republic of China,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 165–168, 2007.
- T. Chieochansin, C. Thongmee, L. Vimolket, A. Theamboonlers, and Y. Poovorawan, “Human bocavirus infection in children with acute gastroenteritis and healthy controls,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 479–481, 2008.
- S. Bicer, T. Giray, D. Col et al., “Virological and clinical characterizations of respiratory infections in hospitalized children,” Italian Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 39, p. 22, 2013.
- C. F. Shafik, E. W. Mohareb, A. S. Yassin et al., “Viral etiologies of lower respiratory tract infections among Egyptian children under five years of age,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, p. 350, 2012.
- N. Richard, F. Komurian-Pradel, E. Javouhey et al., “The impact of dual viral infection in infants admitted to a pediatric intensive care unit associated with severe bronchiolitis,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 213–217, 2008.
- J. Greensill, P. S. McNamara, W. Dove, B. Flanagan, R. L. Smyth, and C. A. Hart, “Human metapneumovirus in severe respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 372–375, 2003.
- V. Foulongne, G. Guyon, M. Rodière, and M. Segondy, “Human metapneumovirus infection in young children hospitalized with respiratory tract disease,” Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 354–359, 2006.
- M. G. Semple, A. Cowell, W. Dove et al., “Dual infection of infants by human metapneumovirus and human respiratory syncytial virus is strongly associated with severe bronchiolitis,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 191, no. 3, pp. 382–386, 2005.
- A. Wilkesmann, O. Schildgen, A. M. Eis-Hübinger et al., “Human metapneumovirus infections cause similar symptoms and clinical severity as respiratory syncytial virus infections,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 165, no. 7, pp. 467–475, 2006.
- A. Capelastegui, P. P. Espana, A. Bilbao et al., “Etiology of community-acquired pneumonia in a population-based study: link between etiology and patients characteristics, process-of-care, clinical evolution and outcomes,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, p. 134, 2012.
- S. Mermond, A. Berlioz-Arthaud, M. Estivals, F. Baumann, H. Levenes, and P. M. V. Martin, “Aetiology of community-acquired pneumonia in hospitalized adult patients in New Caledonia,” Tropical Medicine and International Health, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1517–1524, 2010.
- M. M. Pettigrew, J. F. Gent, R. B. Pyles, A. L. Miller, J. Nokso-Koivisto, and T. Chonmaitree, “Viral-bacterial interactions and risk of acute otitis media complicating upper respiratory tract infection,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 49, no. 11, pp. 3750–3755, 2011.