- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 342869, 6 pages
Determinants of Brachial-Ankle Pulse Wave Velocity in Chinese Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis
1Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, China-Japan Union Hospital of Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin 130033, China
2Jilin Province People's Hospital, Changchun, Jilin 130021, China
Received 3 May 2013; Revised 17 July 2013; Accepted 17 July 2013
Academic Editor: Guixiu Shi
Copyright © 2013 Ping Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Pieringer, T. Brummaier, M. Schmid et al., “Rheumatoid arthritis is an independent risk factor for an increased augmentation index regardless of the coexistence of traditional cardiovascular risk factors,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 17–22, 2012.
- C. Charles-Schoeman, “Cardiovascular disease and rheumatoid arthritis: an update,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 455–462, 2012.
- C. S. Crowson, E. L. Matteson, V. L. Roger, T. M. Therneau, and S. E. Gabriel, “Usefulness of risk scores to estimate the risk of cardiovascular disease in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 420–424, 2012.
- M. Barbhaiya and D. H. Solomon, “Rheumatoid arthritis and cardiovascular disease: an update on treatment issues,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 317–324, 2013.
- A. P. Malaviya and F. C. Hall, “Targeting CVD risk in chronic connective tissue disease,” Practitioner, vol. 256, no. 1747, pp. 21–26, 2012.
- H. Tanaka and M. E. Safar, “Influence of lifestyle modification on arterial stiffness and wave reflections,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 137–144, 2005.
- J. Zhang, Y. Li, Y. Wang et al., “Arterial stiffness and asymptomatic intracranial large arterial stenosis and calcification in hypertensive chinese,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 304–309, 2011.
- Z. Xiong, C. Zhu, Z. Zheng et al., “Relationship between arterial stiffness assessed by brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity and coronary artery disease severity assessed by the SYNTAX score,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 970–976, 2012.
- T. Ninomiya, I. Kojima, Y. Doi et al., “Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity predicts the development of cardiovascular disease in a general Japanese population: the Hisayama Study,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 477–483, 2013.
- K.-H. Park, W. J. Park, M.-K. Kim et al., “Noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity in hypertensive patients with left ventricular hypertrophy,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 269–274, 2010.
- A. Yamashina, H. Tomiyama, K. Takeda et al., “Validity, reproducibility, and clinical significance of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurement,” Hypertension Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 359–364, 2002.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- A. M. van Gestel, C. J. Haagsma, and P. L. van Riel, “Validation of rheumatoid arthritis improvement criteria that include simplified joint counts,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1845–1850, 1998.
- M. L. L. Prevoo, M. A. van 'T Hof, H. H. Kuper, M. A. van Leeuwen, L. B. A. van de Putte, and P. L. C. M. van Riel, “Modified disease activity scores that include twenty-eight-joint counts: development and validation in a prospective longitudinal study of patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 44–48, 1995.
- H. John and G. Kitas, “Inflammatory arthritis as a novel risk factor for cardiovascular disease,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 575–579, 2012.
- H. Maradit-Kremers, C. S. Crowson, P. J. Nicola et al., “Increased unrecognized coronary heart disease and sudden deaths in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based cohort study,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 402–411, 2005.
- L. E. Full and C. Monaco, “Targeting inflammation as a therapeutic strategy in accelerated atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis,” Cardiovascular Therapeutics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 231–242, 2011.
- Z. Szekanecz, G. Kerekes, H. Der et al., “Accelerated atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1108, pp. 349–358, 2007.
- J. M. Kahlenberg and M. J. Kaplan, “Mechanisms of premature atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis and lupus,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 64, pp. 249–263, 2013.
- S. Van Doornum, G. McColl, and I. P. Wicks, “Accelerated atherosclerosis: an extraarticular feature of rheumatoid arthritis?” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 862–873, 2002.
- C. Vlachopoulos, D. Terentes-Printzios, and C. Stefanadis, “How to identify subjects with poly-vascular disease?” Current Vascular Pharmacology, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 728–730, 2012.
- T. A. Mulders, B. van den Bogaard, A. Bakker et al., “Arterial stiffness is increased in families with premature coronary artery disease,” Heart, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 490–494, 2012.
- K. Ikeda, T. Hirayama, K. Iwamoto et al., “Pulse wave velocity study in middle-aged migraineurs at low cardiovascular disease risk,” Headache, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 1239–1244, 2011.
- B. G. Song, J. B. Park, S. J. Cho et al., “Pulse wave velocity is more closely associated with cardiovascular risk than augmentation index in the relatively low-risk population,” Heart and Vessels, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 413–418, 2009.
- C. Vlachopoulos, K. Aznaouridis, D. Terentes-Printzios, N. Ioakeimidis, and C. Stefanadis, “Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with brachial-ankle elasticity index: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Hypertension, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 556–562, 2012.
- E. C. Rizos, A. P. Agouridis, and M. S. Elisaf, “The effect of statin therapy on arterial stiffness by measuring pulse wave velocity: a systematic review,” Current vascular pharmacology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 638–644, 2010.
- J. W. Wang, Z. Q. Zhou, and D. Y. Hu, “Prevalence of arterial stiffness in North China, and associations with risk factors of cardiovascular disease: a community-based study,” BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, vol. 12, p. 119, 2012.
- Y.-S. Kim, Y.-K. Sung, C.-B. Choi et al., “The major determinants of arterial stiffness in Korean patients with rheumatoid arthritis are age and systolic blood pressure, not disease-related factors,” Rheumatology International, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 3455–3461, 2012.
- K. M. Mäki-Petäjä, F. C. Hall, A. D. Booth et al., “Rheumatoid arthritis is associated with increased aortic pulse-wave velocity, which is reduced by anti-tumor necrosis factor-α therapy,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 11, pp. 1185–1192, 2006.
- C. M. McEniery, Y. Yasmin, I. R. Hall, A. Qasem, I. B. Wilkinson, and J. R. Cockcroft, “Normal vascular aging: differential effects on wave reflection and aortic pulse wave velocity—the Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT),” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1753–1760, 2005.
- H. Pieringer, S. Schumacher, U. Stuby, and G. Biesenbach, “Augmentation index and large-artery remodeling in patients with longstanding rheumatoid arthritis compared with healthy controls,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 163–169, 2009.
- S. J. Marchais, A. P. Guerin, B. M. Pannier, B. I. Levy, M. E. Safar, and G. M. London, “Wave reflections and cardiac hypertrophy in chronic uremia: influence of body size,” Hypertension, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 876–883, 1993.
- G. Kocabay, H. Hasdemir, and M. Yildiz, “Evaluation of pulse wave velocity in systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis and Behçet's disease,” Journal of Cardiology, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 72–77, 2012.
- T. Kürüm, M. Yildiz, M. Soy, G. Özbay, L. Alimgil, and B. Tüzün, “Arterial distensibility as determined by carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity in patients with Behçet's disease,” Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 134–138, 2005.
- Y. Zhang, D. Agnoletti, A. D. Protogerou et al., “Characteristics of pulse wave velocity in elastic and muscular arteries: a mismatch beyond age,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 554–559, 2013.
- F. Fantin, A. P. Rossi, M. Cazzadori et al., “Central and peripheral fat and subclinical vascular damage in older women,” Age Ageing, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 359–365, 2013.
- A. Zeki Al Hazzouri, A. B. Newman, E. Simonsick et al., “Pulse wave velocity and cognitive decline in elders: the health, aging, and body composition study,” Stroke, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 388–393, 2013.
- A. Albu, D. Fodor, C. Bondor, and L. Poanta, “Arterial stiffness, carotid atherosclerosis and left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in postmenopausal women,” European Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 250–254, 2013.
- Z.-S. Ai, J. Li, Z.-M. Liu et al., “Reference value of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity for the eastern Chinese population and potential influencing factors,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 44, no. 10, pp. 1000–1005, 2011.