- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 475809, 8 pages
A Human/Murine Chimeric Fab Antibody Neutralizes Anthrax Lethal Toxin In Vitro
1Department of Pathology, Nanjing Medical University, 140 Hanzhong Road, Nanjing 210029, China
2Huadong Medical Institute of Biotechniques, 293 East Zhongshan Road, Nanjing 210002, China
3Laboratory of Cancer and Developmental Cell Biology, Van Andel Research Institute, 333 Bostwick Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
4Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Shanghai Medical College of Fudan University, 138 Yixueyuan Road, Shanghai 200032, China
5Laboratory of Antibody Technology, Van Andel Research Institute, 333 Bostwick Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA
Received 10 March 2013; Revised 12 May 2013; Accepted 13 May 2013
Academic Editor: Roberto Burioni
Copyright © 2013 Guipeng Ding et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Tournier, R. G. Ulrich, A. Quesnel-Hellmann, M. Mohamadzadeh, and B. G. Stiles, “Anthrax, toxins and vaccines: a 125-year journey targeting Bacillus anthracis,” Expert Review of Anti-Infective Therapy, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 219–236, 2009.
- J. A. Jernigan, D. S. Stephens, D. A. Ashford, et al., “Anthrax bioterrorism investigation team. Bioterrorism-related inhalational anthrax: the first 10 cases reported in the United States,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 933–944, 2001.
- D. A. Sweeney, C. W. Hicks, X. Cui, Y. Li, and P. Q. Eichacker, “Anthrax infection,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 184, no. 12, pp. 1333–1341, 2011.
- J. Bromberg-White, C. Lee, and N. Duesbery, “Consequences and utility of the zinc-dependent metalloprotease activity of anthrax lethal toxin,” Toxins, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 1038–1053, 2010.
- H. M. Scobie and J. A. T. Young, “Interactions between anthrax toxin receptors and protective antigen,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 106–112, 2005.
- M. Moayeri and S. H. Leppla, “The roles of anthrax toxin in pathogenesis,” Current Opinion in Microbiology, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2004.
- A. Kronhardt, M. Rolando, C. Beitzinger et al., “Cross-reactivity of anthrax and C2 toxin: protective antigen promotes the uptake of botulinum C2I toxin into human endothelial cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 8, Article ID e23133, 2011.
- N. K. Lim, J. Kim, M. S. Oh et al., “An anthrax lethal factor-neutralizing monoclonal antibody protects rats before and after challenge with anthrax toxin,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 10, pp. 6547–6551, 2005.
- Z. Chen, M. Moayeri, H. Zhao, D. Crown, S. H. Leppla, and R. H. Purcell, “Potent neutralization of anthrax edema toxin by a humanized monoclonal antibody that competes with calmodulin for edema factor binding,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 106, no. 32, pp. 13487–13492, 2009.
- D. M. Klinman and D. Tross, “A single-dose combination therapy that both prevents and treats anthrax infection,” Vaccine, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1811–1815, 2009.
- D. R. Bienek, L. J. Loomis, and R. E. Biagini, “The anthrax vaccine: no new tricks for an old dog,” Human Vaccines, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 184–189, 2009.
- S. Cao, A. Guo, Z. Liu et al., “Investigation of new dominant-negative inhibitors of anthrax protective antigen mutants for use in therapy and vaccination,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 4679–4687, 2009.
- H. M. Scobie, D. Thomas, J. M. Marlett et al., “A soluble receptor decoy protects rats against anthrax lethal toxin challenge,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 192, no. 6, pp. 1047–1051, 2005.
- V. Riddle, P. Leese, D. Blanset, M. Adamcio, M. Meldorf, and I. Lowy, “Phase I study evaluating the safety and pharmacokinetics of MDX-1303, a fully human monoclonal antibody against Bacillus anthracis protective antigen, in healthy volunteers,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2136–2142, 2011.
- Z. Chen, M. Moayeri, D. Crown et al., “Novel chimpanzee/human monoclonal antibodies that neutralize anthrax lethal factor, and evidence for possible synergy with anti-protective antigen antibody,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 77, no. 9, pp. 3902–3908, 2009.
- M. A. Pohl, J. Rivera, A. Nakouzi, S. K. Chow, and A. Casadevall, “Combinations of monoclonal antibodies to anthrax toxin manifest new properties in neutralization assays,” Infection & Immunity, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 1880–1888, 2013.
- I. Azinovic, G. L. DeNardo, K. R. Lamborn et al., “Survival benefit associated with human anti-mouse antibody (HAMA) in patients with B-cell malignancies,” Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 1451–1458, 2006.
- N. Clementi, N. Mancini, L. Solforosi, M. Castelli, M. Clementi, and R. Burioni, “Phage display-based strategies for cloning and optimization of monoclonal antibodies directed against human pathogens,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 8273–8292, 2012.
- T. Migone, G. M. Subramanian, J. Zhong et al., “Raxibacumab for the treatment of inhalational anthrax,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 2, pp. 135–144, 2009.
- P. Zhao, X. Liang, J. Kalbfleisch, H. Koo, and B. Cao, “Neutralizing monoclonal antibody against anthrax lethal factor inhibits intoxication in a mouse model,” Human Antibodies, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 129–135, 2003.
- J. L. Bromberg-White and N. S. Duesbery, “Biological and biochemical characterization of anthrax lethal factor, a proteolytic inhibitor of MEK signaling pathways,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 438, pp. 355–365, 2008.
- C. Li, F. Zhang, H. Lin et al., “Generation and characterization of the human neutralizing antibody fragment Fab091 against rabies virus,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 329–337, 2011.
- J. Zhu, B. T. Kren, C. W. Park, R. Bilgim, P. Y.-P. Wong, and C. J. Steer, “Erythroid-specific expression of β-globin by the sleeping beauty transposon for sickle cell disease,” Biochemistry, vol. 46, no. 23, pp. 6844–6858, 2007.
- X. Wang, J. Zhu, P. Zhao et al., “In vitro efficacy of immuno-chemotherapy with anti-EGFR human Fab-Taxol conjugate on A431 epidermoid carcinoma cells,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 980–986, 2007.
- J. D. Beatty, B. G. Beatty, and W. G. Vlahos, “Measurement of monoclonal antibody affinity by non-competitive enzyme immunoassay,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 100, no. 1-2, pp. 173–179, 1987.
- N. Abboud and A. Casadevall, “Immunogenicity of Bacillus anthracis protective antigen domains and efficacy of elicited antibody responses depend on host genetic background,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1115–1123, 2008.
- S. F. Little, S. H. Leppla, and A. M. Friedlander, “Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies against the lethal factor component of Bacillus anthracis lethal toxin,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1606–1613, 1990.
- M. T. Albrecht, H. Li, E. D. Williamson et al., “Human monoclonal antibodies against anthrax lethal factor and protective antigen act independently to protect against Bacillus anthracis infection and enhance endogenous immunity to anthrax,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 5425–5433, 2007.
- H. F. Staats, S. M. Alam, R. M. Scearce et al., “In vitro and in vivo characterization of anthrax anti-protective antigen and anti-lethal factor monoclonal antibodies after passive transfer in a mouse lethal toxin challenge model to define correlates of immunity,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 5443–5452, 2007.
- P. Kulshreshtha and R. Bhatnagar, “Inhibition of anthrax toxins with a bispecific monoclonal antibody that cross reacts with edema factor as well as lethal factor of Bacillus anthracis,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 48, no. 15-16, pp. 1958–1965, 2011.
- U. vor dem Esche, M. Huber, A. Zgaga-Griesz et al., “Passive vaccination with a human monoclonal antibody: generation of antibodies and studies for efficacy in Bacillus anthracis infections,” Immunobiology, vol. 216, no. 7, pp. 847–853, 2011.
- I. Kacskovics, B. Mayer, Z. Kis et al., “Cloning and characterization of the dromedary (Camelus dromedarius) neonatal Fc receptor (drFcRn),” Developmental and Comparative Immunology, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1203–1215, 2006.
- S. Kameyama, R. Okada, T. Kikuchi et al., “Distribution of immunoglobulin Fab fragment conjugated with HIV-1 REV peptide following intravenous administration in rats,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 174–180, 2006.
- T. S. Lim, S. Mollova, F. Rubelt et al., “V-gene amplification revisited—an optimised procedure for amplification of rearranged human antibody genes of different isotypes,” New Biotechnology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 108–117, 2010.
- S. Chassagne, E. Laffly, E. Drouet, F. Hérodin, M. Lefranc, and P. Thullier, “A high-affinity macaque antibody Fab with human-like framework regions obtained from a small phage display immune library,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 539–546, 2004.
- Y. Zhao, L. Gutshall, H. Jiang et al., “Two routes for production and purification of Fab fragments in biopharmaceutical discovery research: papain digestion of mAb and transient expression in mammalian cells,” Protein Expression and Purification, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 182–189, 2009.
- M. Acchione, C. A. Lipschultz, M. E. DeSantis et al., “Light chain somatic mutations change thermodynamics of binding and water coordination in the HyHEL-10 family of antibodies,” Molecular Immunology, vol. 47, no. 2-3, pp. 457–464, 2009.
- D. Tang, D. Zhang, D. Tang, and H. Ai, “Amplification of the antigen-antibody interaction from quartz crystal microbalance immunosensors via back-filling immobilization of nanogold on biorecognition surface,” Journal of Immunological Methods, vol. 316, no. 1-2, pp. 144–152, 2006.
- J. Huang, J. Liang, Q. Tang et al., “An active murine-human chimeric Fab antibody derived from Escherichia coli, potential therapy against over-expressing VEGFR2 solid tumors,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 1341–1351, 2011.
- M. A. Wild, H. Xin, T. Maruyama et al., “Human antibodies from immunized donors are protective against anthrax toxin in vivo,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1305–1306, 2003.