- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 572815, 7 pages
Development of a Recombinant Cell-Based Indirect Immunofluorescence Assay for the Determination of Autoantibodies against Soluble Liver Antigen in Autoimmune Hepatitis
1Institute of Experimental Immunology, Euroimmun AG, Seekamp 31, 23560 Lübeck, Germany
2Institute of Liver Studies, School of Medicine, King's College London, Denmark Hill, London SE5 9RS, UK
Received 4 October 2012; Accepted 16 November 2012
Academic Editor: Pietro Invernizzi
Copyright © 2013 Christiane Radzimski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. L. Krawitt, “Autoimmune hepatitis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 354, no. 1, pp. 54–66, 2006.
- M. P. Manns, A. J. Czaja, J. D. Gorham et al., “Diagnosis and management of autoimmune hepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 2193–2213, 2010.
- S. Lüth, J. Herkel, S. Kanzler et al., “Serologic markers compared with liver biopsy for monitoring disease activity in autoimmune hepatitis,” Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 926–930, 2008.
- G. V. Gregorio, B. Portmann, F. Reid et al., “Autoimmune hepatitis in childhood: a 20-year experience,” Hepatology, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 541–547, 1997.
- D. P. Bogdanos, G. Mieli-Vergani, and D. Vergani, “Autoantibodies and their antigens in autoimmune hepatitis,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 241–253, 2009.
- I. Wies, S. Brunner, J. Henninger et al., “Identification of target antigen for SLA/LP autoantibodies in autoimmune hepatitis,” The Lancet, vol. 355, no. 9214, pp. 1510–1515, 2000.
- M. Costa, J. L. Rodriguez-Sanchez, A. J. Czaja, and C. Gelpi, “Isolation and characterization of cDNA encoding the antigenic protein of the human tRNP((Ser)Sec) complex recognized by autoantibodies from patients with type-1 autoimmune hepatitis,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 121, no. 2, pp. 364–374, 2000.
- M. Manns, G. Gerken, and A. Kyriatsoulis, “Characterisation of a new subgroup of autoimmune chronic active hepatitis by autoantibodies against a soluble liver antigen,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8528, pp. 292–294, 1987.
- S. Kanzler, C. Weidemann, G. Gerken et al., “Clinical significance of autoantibodies to soluble liver antigen in autoimmune hepatitis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 635–640, 1999.
- C. Wiegard, C. Schramm, and A. W. Lohse, “Scoring systems for the diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis: past, present, and future,” Seminars in Liver Disease, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 254–261, 2009.
- F. Alvarez, P. A. Berg, F. B. Bianchi, et al., “International autoimmune hepatitis group report: review of criteria for diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 31, pp. 929–938, 1999.
- D. Vergani, F. Alvarez, F. B. Bianchi et al., “Liver autoimmune serology: a consensus statement from the committee for autoimmune serology of the International Autoimmune Hepatitis Group,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 677–683, 2004.
- E. M. Hennes, M. Zeniya, A. J. Czaja et al., “Simplified criteria for the diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis,” Hepatology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 169–176, 2008.
- M. Baeres, C. Daehnrich, W. Schlumberger et al., “Establishment of standardised SLA/LP immunoassays: specificity for autoimmune hepatitis, worldwide occurrence, and clinical characteristics,” Gut, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 259–264, 2002.
- H. Miyakawa, Y. Kawashima, E. Kitazawa et al., “Low frequency of anti-SLA/LP autoantibody in Japanese adult patients with autoimmune liver diseases: analysis with recombinant antigen assay,” Journal of Autoimmunity, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 77–82, 2003.
- A. J. Czaja, Z. Shums, and G. L. Norman, “Frequency and significance of antibodies to soluble liver antigen/liver pancreas in variant autoimmune hepatitis,” Autoimmunity, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 475–483, 2002.
- A. J. Czaja, “Autoantibodies as prognostic markers in autoimmune liver disease,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2144–2161, 2010.
- S. Vitozzi, I. Djilali-Saiah, P. Lapierre, and F. Alvarez, “Anti-soluble liver antigen/liver-pancreas (SLA/LP) antibodies in pediatric patients with autoimmune hepatitis,” Autoimmunity, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 485–492, 2002.
- A. X. Torres-Collado, A. J. Czaja, and C. Gelpí, “Anti-tRNP(ser)sec/SLA/LP autoantibodies. Comparative study using in-house ELISA with a recombinant 48.8 kDa protein, immunoblot, and analysis of immunoprecipitated RNAs,” Liver International, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 410–419, 2005.
- C. Gelpi, E. J. Sontheimer, and J. L. Rodriguez-Sanchez, “Autoantibodies against a serine tRNA-protein complex implicated in cotranslational selenocysteine insertion,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 89, no. 20, pp. 9739–9743, 1992.
- Y. Ma, M. Okamoto, M. G. Thomas et al., “Antibodies to conformational epitopes of soluble liver antigen define a severe form of autoimmune liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 658–664, 2002.
- A. J. Czaja, P. T. Donaldson, and A. W. Lohse, “Antibodies to soluble liver antigen/liver pancreas and HLA risk factors for type 1 autoimmune hepatitis,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 413–419, 2002.
- A. J. Czaja, Z. Shums, and G. L. Norman, “Nonstandard antibodies as prognostic markers in autoimmune hepatitis,” Autoimmunity, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 195–201, 2004.
- D. P. Bogdanos, P. Invernizzi, I. R. Mackay, and D. Vergani, “Autoimmune liver serology: current diagnostic and clinical challenges,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 14, no. 21, pp. 3374–3387, 2008.
- W. Stöcker, M. Otte, S. Ulrich et al., “Autoimmunity to pancreatic juice in Crohn's disease. Results of an autoantibody screening in patients with chronic inflammatory bowel disease,” Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, Supplement, vol. 139, pp. 41–52, 1987.
- J. Damoiseaux, C. Dahnrich, A. Rosemann, et al., “A novel ELISA using a mixture of human native and recombinant proteinase-3 significantly improves the diagnostic potential for ANCA-associated vasculitis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 228–233, 2009.
- C. Koy, S. Mikkat, E. Raptakis et al., “Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-quadrupole ion trap-time of flight mass spectrometry sequencing resolves structures of unidentified peptides obtained by in-gel tryptic digestion of haptoglobin derivatives from human plasma proteomes,” Proteomics, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 851–858, 2003.
- B. Teegen, S. Niemann, C. Probst, W. Schlumberger, W. Stöcker, and L. Komorowski, “DNA-bound lactoferrin is the major target for antineutrophil perinuclear cytoplasmic antibodies in ulcerative colitis,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1173, pp. 161–165, 2009.
- R. J. Falk and J. C. Jennette, “Anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies with specificity for myeloperoxidase in patients with systemic vasculitis and idiopathic necrotizing and crescentic glomerulonephritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 318, no. 25, pp. 1651–1657, 1988.
- X. M. Xu, H. Mix, B. A. Carlson et al., “Evidence for direct roles of two additional factors, SECp43 and soluble liver antigen, in the selenoprotein synthesis machinery,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 280, no. 50, pp. 41568–41575, 2005.
- S. Palioura, R. L. Sherrer, T. A. Steitz, D. Soil, and M. Simonovic, “The human SepSecS-tRNASec complex reveals the mechanism of selenocysteine formation,” Science, vol. 325, no. 5938, pp. 321–325, 2009.
- C. Sitaru, C. Dahnrich, C. Probst, et al., “Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using multimers of the 16th non-collagenous domain of the BP180 antigen for sensitive and specific detection of pemphigoid autoantibodies,” Experimental Dermatology, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 770–777, 2007.
- C. Probst, W. Schlumberger, W. Stocker, et al., “Development of ELISA for the specific determination of autoantibodies against envoplakin and periplakin in paraneoplastic pemphigus,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 410, no. 1-2, pp. 13–18, 2009.