- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 634632, 4 pages
Elevated Cerebrospinal Fluid Neopterin Concentration Is Associated with Disease Severity in Acute Puumala Hantavirus Infection
1Department of Internal Medicine, Oulu University Hospital, P.O. Box 20, 90029 Oulu, Finland
2Department of Virology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 21, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
3Institute of Diagnostics, Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Oulu, 90014 Oulu, Finland
4Department of Ophthalmology, Oulu University Hospital, P.O. Box 21, 90029 Oulu, Finland
5Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Oulu University Hospital, P.O. Box 50, 90029 Oulu, Finland
6Department of Veterinary Biosciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 66, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
7Department of Virology and Immunology, HUSLAB, Helsinki University Central Hospital, HUS, 00029 Helsinki, Finland
Received 2 May 2013; Accepted 19 July 2013
Academic Editor: James Curtin
Copyright © 2013 Timo Hautala et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Vaheri, H. Henttonen, L. Voutilainen, et al., “Hantavirus infections in Europe and their impact on public health,” Reviews in Medical Virology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 35–49, 2013.
- S. Mäkelä, J. Mustonen, I. Ala-Houhala et al., “Urinary excretion of interleukin-6 correlates with proteinuria in acute Puumala hantavirus-induced nephritis,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 809–816, 2004.
- T. K. Outinen, S. M. Mäkelä, I. O. Ala-Houhala et al., “The severity of Puumala hantavirus induced nephropathia epidemica can be better evaluated using plasma interleukin-6 than C-reactive protein determinations,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, article 132, 2010.
- A. Saksida, B. Wraber, and T. Avšič-Županc, “Serum levels of inflammatory and regulatory cytokines in patients with hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, article 142, 2011.
- J. Mustonen, J. Partanen, M. Kanerva et al., “Genetic susceptibility to severe course of nephropathia epidemica caused by Puumala hantavirus,” Kidney International, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 217–221, 1996.
- T. Hautala, S.-M. Mhnen, T. Sironen et al., “Central nervous system-related symptoms and findings are common in acute Puumala hantavirus infection,” Annals of Medicine, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 344–351, 2010.
- N. Hautala, H. Kauma, O. Vapalahti et al., “Prospective study on ocular findings in acute Puumala hantavirus infection in hospitalised patients,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 559–562, 2011.
- A. Vaheri, O. Vapalahti, and A. Plyusnin, “How to diagnose hantavirus infections and detect them in rodents and insectivores,” Reviews in Medical Virology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 277–288, 2008.
- A. Berdowska and K. Zwirska-Korczala, “Neopterin measurement in clinical diagnosis,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 319–329, 2001.
- L. Hagberg, P. Cinque, M. Gisslen et al., “Cerebrospinal fluid neopterin: an informative biomarker of central nervous system immune activation in HIV-1 infection,” AIDS Research and Therapy, vol. 7, article 15, 2010.
- O. A. Alexeyev and V. G. Morozov, “Neurological manifestations of hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome caused by Puumala virus: review of 811 cases,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 255–258, 1995.
- C. Ahlm, C. Linden, M. Linderholm, et al., “Central nervous system and ophthalmic involvement in nephropathia epidemica (European type of haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome),” Journal of Infection, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 149–155, 1998.
- T. Hautala, T. Sironen, O. Vapalahti et al., “Hypophyseal hemorrhage and panhypopituitarism during Puumala virus infection: magnetic resonance imaging and detection of viral antigen in the hypophysis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 96–101, 2002.
- S.-M. Mähönen, T. Sironen, O. Vapalahti et al., “Puumala virus RNA in cerebrospinal fluid in a patient with uncomplicated nephropathia epidemica,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 248–251, 2007.
- M. Sadeghi, I. Eckerle, V. Daniel, U. Burkhardt, G. Opelz, and P. Schnitzler, “Cytokine expression during early and late phase of acute Puumala hantavirus infection,” BMC Immunology, vol. 12, article 65, 2011.
- M. Bociaga-Jasik, A. Ciesla, A. Kalinowska-Nowak, P. Skwara, A. Garlicki, and T. Mach, “Role of IL-6 and neopterin in the pathogenesis of herpetic encephalitis,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1203–1209, 2011.
- V. Valcour, T. Chalermchai, N. Sailasuta, et al., “Central nervous system viral invasion and inflammation during acute HIV infection,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 206, no. 2, pp. 275–282, 2012.
- C. A. M. van de Weg, P. Koraka, E. C. M. van Gorp et al., “Lipopolysaccharide levels are elevated in dengue virus infected patients and correlate with disease severity,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 38–42, 2012.
- L. M. Andersson, L. Hagberg, D. Fuchs, B. Svennerholm, and M. Gisslén, “Increased blood-brain barrier permeability in neuro-asymptomatic HIV-1-infected individuals—correlation with cerebrospinal fluid HIV-1 RNA and neopterin levels,” Journal of NeuroVirology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 542–547, 2001.
- R. P. Rouhl, J. G. Damoiseaux, J. Lodder, et al., “Vascular inflammation in cerebral small vessel disease,” Neurobiology and Aging, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1800–1806, 2012.
- J. Klingström, T. Lindgren, and C. Ahlm, “Sex-dependent differences in plasma cytokine responses to hantavirus infection,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 885–887, 2008.
- T. Hautala, N. Hautala, S.-M. Mähönen et al., “Young male patients are at elevated risk of developing serious central nervous system complications during acute Puumala hantavirus infection,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, article 217, 2011.