- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Clinical and Developmental Immunology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 724592, 8 pages
Detection of Antiphosphatidylserine/Prothrombin Antibodies and Their Potential Diagnostic Value
1Immunology Laboratory, Department of Rheumatology, University Medical Centre, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
2Faculty of Mathematics, Natural Science and Information Technology, University of Primorska, 6000 Koper, Slovenia
3Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ljubljana, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 15 July 2013
Academic Editor: Guixiu Shi
Copyright © 2013 Polona Žigon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Miyakis, M. D. Lockshin, T. Atsumi et al., “International consensus statement on an update of the classification criteria for definite antiphospholipid syndrome (APS),” Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 295–306, 2006.
- W. A. Wilson, A. E. Gharavi, T. Koike Lockshin MD et al., “International consensus statement on preliminary classification criteria for definite antiphospholipid syndrome: report of an international workshop,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 1309–1311, 1999.
- N. Bardin, M. C. Alessi, F. Dignat-George et al., “Does the anti-prothrombin antibodies measurement provide additional information in patients with thrombosis?” Immunobiology, vol. 212, no. 7, pp. 557–565, 2007.
- M. Galli, “Anti-prothrombin antibodies,” in The Antiphospholipid Syndrome II, R. A. Asherson, R. Cervera, J. C. Piette, and Y. Shoenfeld, Eds., pp. 59–70, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- M. Sugiura-Ogasawara, T. Atsumi, Y. Ozaki, T. Koike, and K. Suzumori, “Phosphatidylserine-dependent antiprothrombin antibodies are not useful markers for high-risk women with recurrent miscarriages,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 1440–1442, 2004.
- A. Tincani, G. Morozzi, A. Afeltra et al., “Antiprothrombin antibodies: a comparative analysis of homemade and commercial methods. A collaborative study by the Forum Interdisciplinare per la Ricerca nelle Malattie Autoimmuni (FIRMA),” Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 268–274, 2007.
- T. Atsumi, M. Ieko, M. L. Bertolaccini et al., “Association of autoantibodies against the phosphatidylserine-prothrombin complex with manifestations of the antiphospholipid syndrome and with the presence of lupus anticoagulant,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1982–1993, 2000.
- M. L. Bertolaccini, T. Atsumi, T. Koike, G. R. V. Hughes, and M. A. Khamashta, “Antiprothrombin antibodies detected in two different assay systems. Prevalence and clinical significance in systemic lupus erythematosus,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 289–297, 2005.
- A. Ghirardello, N. Bizzaro, S. Zampieri et al., “Biological and clinical relevance of anti-prothrombin antibodies,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1109, pp. 503–510, 2007.
- P. Žigon, A. Ambrožič, S. Čučnik, T. Kveder, B. Rozman, and B. Božič, “Modified phosphatidylserine-dependent antithrombin ELISA enables identification of patients negative for other antiphospholipid antibodies and also detects low avidity antibodies,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1011–1018, 2011.
- M. Galli, G. Beretta, M. Daldossi, E. M. Bevers, and T. Barbui, “Different anticoagulant and immunological properties of anti-prothrombin antibodies in patients with antiphospholipid antibodies,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 486–491, 1997.
- J. Matsuda, T. Sanaka, A. Nishizawa, M. Gotoh, and K. Gohchi, “Two antiprothrombin antibodies against prothrombin and prothrombin-phosphatidyl serine show partial but not total identity,” Blood Coagulation and Fibrinolysis, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 697–702, 2002.
- J. Nojima, Y. Iwatani, E. Suehisa, H. Kuratsune, and Y. Kanakura, “The presence of anti-phosphatidylserine/prothrombin antibodies as risk factor for both arterial and venous thrombosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus,” Haematologica, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 699–702, 2006.
- T. Atsumi and T. Koike, “Antiprothrombin antibody: why do we need more assays?” Lupus, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 436–439, 2010.
- P. Žigon, S. Čučnik, A. Ambrožič, S. S. Šemrl, T. Kveder, and B. Božič, “Antibodies to phosphatidylserine/prothrombin complex as an additional diagnostic marker of APS?” Lupus, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 790–792, 2012.
- S. Čučnik, T. Kveder, I. Križaj, B. Rozman, and B. Božič, “High avidity anti-β2-glycoprotein I antibodies in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 1478–1482, 2004.
- W. Lin, M. Chen, and M.-H. Zhao, “Follow-up of avidity and titer of anti-myeloperoxidase antibodies in sera from patients with primary ANCA-associated vasculitis,” Autoimmunity, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 198–202, 2009.
- P. Suwannalai, H. U. Scherer, D. Van Der Woude et al., “Anti-citrullinated protein antibodies have a low avidity compared with antibodies against recall antigens,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 373–379, 2011.
- M. C. Hochberg, “Updating the American College of Rheumatology revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 40, no. 9, article 1725, 1997.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- C. Vitali, S. Bombardieri, R. Jonsson et al., “Classification criteria for Sjögren's syndrome: a revised version of the European criteria proposed by the American-European Consensus Group,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 554–558, 2002.
- B. Božič, T. Kveder, M. Stegnar et al., “Influence of degraded phosphatidylserine on binding of antiphospholipid antibodies,” International Archives of Allergy and Immunology, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 1997.
- S. Loizou, J. D. McCrea, and A. C. Rudge, “Measurement of anti-cardiolipin antibodies by an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA): standardization and quantitation of results,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 738–745, 1985.
- S. Čučnik, A. Ambrožič, B. Božič, M. Skitek, and T. Kveder, “Anti-β2-glycoprotein I ELISA: methodology, determination of cut-off values in 434 healthy Caucasians and evaluation of monoclonal antibodies as possible international standards,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 777–783, 2000.
- G. Reber, I. Schousboe, A. Tincani et al., “Inter-laboratory variability of anti-β2-glycoprotein I measurement: a Collaborative Study in the Frame of the European Forum on Antiphospholipid Antibodies Standardization Group,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 66–73, 2002.
- J. T. Brandt, D. A. Triplett, B. Alving, and I. Scharrer, “Criteria for the diagnosis of lupus anticoagulants: an update. On behalf of the Subcommittee on Lupus Anticoagulant/Antiphospholipid Antibody of the Scientific and Standardisation Committee of the ISTH,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 1185–1190, 1995.
- T. Exner, G. Papadopoulos, and J. Koutts, “Use of a simplified dilute Russell's viper venom time (DRVVT) confirms heterogeneity among 'lupus anticoagulants',” Blood Coagulation. Fibrinolysis, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 259–266, 1990.
- J. Matsuda, N. Saitoh, M. Gotoh, K. Kawasugi, K. Gohchi, and M. Tsukamoto, “Phosphatidyl serine-dependent antiprothrombin antibody is exclusive to patients with lupus anticoagulant,” British Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 589–591, 1996.
- T. Atsumi, O. Amengual, S. Yasuda, and T. Koike, “Antiprothrombin antibodies—are they worth assaying?” Thrombosis Research, vol. 114, no. 5-6, pp. 533–538, 2004.
- A. Tsutsumi, T. Hayashi, Y. Chino et al., “Significance of antiprothrombin antibodies in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: clinical evaluation of the antiprothrombin assay and the antiphosphatidylserine/prothrombin assay, and comparison with other antiphospholipid antibody assays,” Modern Rheumatology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 158–164, 2006.
- A. Tsutsumi, T. Atsumi, H. Yamada et al., “Anti-phosphatidylserine/prothrombin antibodies are not frequently found in patients with unexplained recurrent miscarriages,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 242–244, 2001.
- L. Marozio, A. Curti, G. Botta et al., “Anti-prothrombin antibodies are associated with adverse pregnancy outcome,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 404–409, 2011.
- A. Vlagea, A. Gil, M. V. Cuesta et al., “Antiphosphatidylserine/Prothrombin antibodies (aPS/PT) as potential markers of antiphospholipid syndrome,” Clinical and Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 289–296, 2012.
- T. D. Jaskowski, A. R. Wilson, H. R. Hill, W. D. Branch, and A. E. Tebo, “Autoantibodies against phosphatidylserine, prothrombin and phosphatidylserine-prothrombin complex: identical or distinct diagnostic tools for antiphospholipid syndrome?” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 410, no. 1-2, pp. 19–24, 2009.
- M. Galli, D. Luciani, G. Bertolini, and T. Barbui, “Anti-β2-glycoprotein I, antiprothrombin antibodies, and the risk of thrombosis in the antiphospholipid syndrome,” Blood, vol. 102, no. 8, pp. 2717–2723, 2003.
- M. Galli, G. Borrelli, E. M. Jacobsen et al., “Clinical significance of different antiphospholipid antibodies in the WAPS (warfarin in the antiphospholipid syndrome) study,” Blood, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 1178–1183, 2007.
- Y. Sakai, T. Atsumi, M. Ieko et al., “The effects of phosphatidylserine-dependent antiprothrombin antibody on thrombin generation,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 60, no. 8, pp. 2457–2467, 2009.
- M. L. Bertolaccini, O. Amengual, T. Atsumi et al., “‘Non-criteria’ aPL tests: report of a task force and preconference workshop at the 13th International Congress on Antiphospholipid Antibodies, Galveston, TX, USA, April 2010,” Lupus, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 191–205, 2011.