- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Lipids
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 721686, 5 pages
Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome, and Adipocytes
1Department of Animal Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
2Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Research Centre, Lethbridge, CA, T1J 4B1, Canada
3USDA-ARS, Richard B. Russell Agricultural Research Station, Athens, GA 30604, USA
4Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2P5, Canada
5The Hartz Mountain Corporation, 400 Plaza Drive, Secaucus, NJ 07094, USA
6Program in Cellular and Molecular Biosciences/Animal Sciences, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Received 5 May 2011; Revised 25 May 2011; Accepted 30 May 2011
Academic Editor: Akihiro Inazu
Copyright © 2011 M. V. Dodson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. G. Trogdon, E. A. Finkelstein, T. Hylands, P. S. Dellea, and S. J. Kamal-Bahl, “Indirect costs of obesity: a review of the current literature,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 489–500, 2008.
- B. M. Popkin, S. Kim, E. R. Rusev, S. Du, and C. Zizza, “Measuring the full economic costs of diet, physical activity and obesity-related chronic diseases,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 271–293, 2006.
- A. N. Fabricatore and T. A. Wadden, “Obesity,” Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, vol. 2, pp. 357–377, 2006.
- P. A. Kiberstis, “A surfeit of suspects,” Science, vol. 307, no. 5708, p. 369, 2005.
- K. M. Flegal, B. I. Graubard, and D. F. Williamson, “Methods of calculating deaths attributable to obesity,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 331–338, 2004.
- K. M. Flegal, D. F. Williamson, E. R. Pamuk, and H. M. Rosenberg, “Estimating deaths attributable to obesity in the United States,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 1486–1489, 2004.
- K. M. Flegal, “Commentary: the epidemic of obesity—what's in a name?” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 72–74, 2006.
- K. M. Flegal, “Epidemiologic aspects of overweight and obesity in the United States,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 599–602, 2005.
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carroll, C. L. Ogden, and C. L. Johnson, “Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999-2000,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 288, no. 14, pp. 1723–1727, 2002.
- A. J. Cameron, J. E. Shaw, and P. Z. Zimmet, “The metabolic syndrome: prevalence in worldwide populations,” Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 351–375, 2004.
- R. MacLaren, W. Cui, S. Simard, and K. Cianflone, “Influence of obesity and insulin sensitivity on insulin signaling genes in human omental and subcutaneous adipose tissue,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 308–323, 2008.
- G. J. Hausman, M. V. Dodson, K. Ajuwon et al., “Board-invited review: the biology and regulation of preadipocytes and adipocytes in meat animals,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 1218–1246, 2009.
- O. Gavrilova, B. Marcus-Samuels, D. Graham et al., “Surgical implantation of adipose tissue reverses diabetes in lipoatrophic mice,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 271–278, 2000.
- M. Seip and O. Trygstad, “Generalized lipodystrophy, congenital and acquired (lipoatrophy),” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, Supplement, vol. 85, no. 413, pp. 2–28, 1996.
- K. Lee, J. A. Villena, Y. S. Moon et al., “Inhibition of adipogenesis and development of glucose intolerance by soluble preadipocyte factor-1 (Pref-1),” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 111, no. 4, pp. 453–461, 2003.
- K. Reue, P. Xu, X. P. Wang, and B. G. Slavin, “Adipose tissue deficiency, glucose intolerance, and increased atherosclerosis result from mutation in the mouse fatty liver dystrophy (fld) gene,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1067–1076, 2000.
- J. Moitra, M. M. Mason, M. Olive et al., “Life without white fat: a transgenic mouse,” Genes and Development, vol. 12, no. 20, pp. 3168–3181, 1998.
- V. Puri and M. P. Czech, “Lipid droplets: FSP27 knockout enhances their sizzle,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 2693–2696, 2008.
- N. Nishino, Y. Tamori, S. Tateya et al., “FSP27 contributes to efficient energy storage in murine white adipocytes by promoting the formation of unilocular lipid droplets,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 2808–2821, 2008.
- T. Hosooka, T. Noguchi, K. Kotani et al., “Dok1 mediates high-fat diet-induced adipocyte hypertrophy and obesity through modulation of PPAR-γ phosphorylation,” Nature Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 188–193, 2008.
- R. H. Unger, “Lipotoxic diseases,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 53, pp. 319–336, 2002.
- C. J. Rhodes, “Type 2 diabetes—a matter of β-cell life and death?” Science, vol. 307, no. 5708, pp. 380–384, 2005.
- K. N. Frayn, “Adipose tissue and the insulin resistance syndrome,” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 375–380, 2001.
- K. N. Frayn, “Obesity and metabolic disease: is adipose tissue the culprit?” Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 7–13, 2005.
- M. Du, J. Yin, and M. J. Zhu, “Cellular signaling pathways regulating the initial stage of adipogenesis and marbling of skeletal muscle,” Meat Science, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 103–109, 2010.
- G. J. Hausman and R. J. Martin, “Subcutaneous adipose tissue development in Yorkshire (lean) and Ossabaw (obese) pigs,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1442–1449, 1981.
- G. J. Hausman and R. L. Richardson, “Cellular and vascular development in immature rat adipose tissue,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 522–532, 1983.
- O. Gealekman, N. Guseva, C. Hartigan et al., “Depot-specific differences and insufficient subcutaneous adipose tissue angiogenesis in human obesity,” Circulation, vol. 123, pp. 186–194, 2011.
- S. Ledoux, I. Queguiner, S. Msika et al., “Angiogenesis associated with visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue in severe human obesity,” Diabetes, vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 3247–3257, 2008.
- N. Viguerie, C. Poitou, R. Cancello, V. Stich, K. Clément, and D. Langin, “Transcriptomics applied to obesity and caloric restriction,” Biochimie, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 117–123, 2005.
- J. Ye, “Emerging role of adipose tissue hypoxia in obesity and insulin resistance,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 54–66, 2009.
- E. C. M. Mariman and P. Wang, “Adipocyte extracellular matrix composition, dynamics and role in obesity,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 67, no. 8, pp. 1277–1292, 2010.
- H. M. Orpana, J. M. Berthelot, M. S. Kaplan, D. H. Feeny, B. McFarland, and N. A. Ross, “BMI and mortality: results from a national longitudinal study of canadian adults,” Obesity, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 214–218, 2010.
- D. Cavan and S. Cradock, “Structured education programmes and Type 2 diabetes,” Diabetic Medicine, Supplement, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 10–12, 2004.
- A. D. Pradhan, J. E. Manson, N. Rifai, J. E. Buring, and P. M. Ridker, “C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, and risk of developing type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 286, no. 3, pp. 327–334, 2001.
- C. Zoccali, F. Mallamaci, and G. Tripepi, “Adiponectin, the most abundant adipocyte derived protein, is functionally related to metabolic risk factors and predicts cardiovascular outcomes in end stage renal disease,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 13, pp. 134–141, 2002.
- M. L. He,, P. S. Mir, E. Okine, and M. V. Dodson, “Effect of culture media containing conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) cis (c) 9, trans (t) 11 and CLA t10, c12 on lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 preadipocytes,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 83, p. 655, 2003.
- P. G. McTernan, A. L. Harte, L. A. Anderson et al., “Insulin and rosiglitazone regulation of lipolysis and lipogenesis in human adipose tissue in vitro,” Diabetes, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1493–1498, 2002.
- L. Clément, H. Poirier, I. Niot et al., “Dietary trans-10,cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid induces hyperinsulinemia and fatty liver in the mouse,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1400–1409, 2002.
- U. Risérus, P. Arner, K. Brismar, and B. Vessby, “Treatment with dietary trans10cis12 conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-specific insulin resistance in obese men with the metabolic syndrome,” Diabetes Care, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1516–1521, 2002.
- M. A. Belury, S. Y. Moya-Camarena, M. Lu, L. Shi, L. M. Leesnitzer, and S. G. Blanchard, “Conjugated linoleic acid is an activator and ligand for peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma (PPARγ),” Nutrition Research, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 817–824, 2002.
- J. M. Brown and M. K. McIntosh, “Conjugated linoleic acid in humans: regulation of adiposity and insulin sensitivity,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 10, pp. 3041–3046, 2003.