- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Marine Biology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 839134, 17 pages
Phylogeography of the Pacific Blueline Surgeonfish, Acanthurus nigroris, Reveals High Genetic Connectivity and a Cryptic Endemic Species in the Hawaiian Archipelago
1Hawai'i Institute of Marine Biology, P.O. Box 1346, Kane'ohe, HI 96744, USA
2Department of Marine Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, P.O. Box 9000, Mayagüez 00681, Puerto Rico
3Marine Science Institute, University of Texas at Austin, 750 Channel View Drive, Port Aransas, TX 78373, USA
Received 16 June 2010; Accepted 11 October 2010
Academic Editor: Kim Selkoe
Copyright © 2011 Joseph D. DiBattista et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [29 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Ja Eble, Rj Toonen, L Sorenson, Lv Basch, Yp Papastamatiou, and Bw Bowen, “Escaping paradise: larval export from Hawaii in an Indo-Pacific reef fish, the yellow tang Zebrasoma flavescens,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 428, pp. 245–258, 2011.
- Michelle R. Gaither, Shelley A. Jones, Christopher Kelley, Stephen J. Newman, Laurie Sorenson, and Brian W. Bowen, “High Connectivity in the Deepwater Snapper Pristipomoides filamentosus (Lutjanidae) across the Indo-Pacific with Isolation of the Hawaiian Archipelago,” Plos One, vol. 6, no. 12, 2011.
- Jeff A. Eble, Luiz A. Rocha, Matthew T. Craig, and Brian W. Bowen, “Not All Larvae Stay Close to Home: Insights into Marine Population Connectivity with a Focus on the Brown Surgeonfish (Acanthurus nigrofuscus),” Journal of Marine Biology, vol. 2011, pp. 1–12, 2011.
- William B. Ludt, Moises A. Bernal, Brian W. Bowen, and Luiz A. Rocha, “Living in the Past: Phylogeography and Population Histories of Indo-Pacific Wrasses (Genus Halichoeres) in Shallow Lagoons versus Outer Reef Slopes,” Plos One, vol. 7, no. 6, 2012.
- Toby S. Daly-Engel, John E. Randall, and Brian W. Bowen, “Is the Great Barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda) a reef fish or a pelagic fish? The phylogeographic perspective,” Marine Biology, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 975–985, 2012.
- Kensuke Iwamoto, Chih-Wei Chang, Akihiro Takemura, and Hideyuki Imai, “Genetically structured population and demographic history of the goldlined spinefoot Siganus guttatus in the northwestern Pacific,” Fisheries Science, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 249–257, 2012.
- Mohamamd Hafiz Abdul Rahim, Patimah Ismail, Rozila Alias, Norwati Muhammad, and Abdul Manan Mat Jais, “PCR-RFLP analysis of mitochondrial DNA cytochrome b gene among Haruan (Channa striatus) in Malaysia,” Gene, vol. 494, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2012.
- Joseph D. DiBattista, Michael L. Berumen, Michelle R. Gaither, Luiz A. Rocha, Jeff A. Eble, J. Howard Choat, Matthew T. Craig, Derek J. Skillings, and Brian W. Bowen, “After continents divide: comparative phylogeography of reef fishes from the Red Sea and Indian Ocean,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1170–1181, 2013.
- John C. Briggs, and Brian W. Bowen, “Marine shelf habitat: biogeography and evolution,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1023–1035, 2013.
- Kimberly R. Andrews, Virginia N. Moriwake, Christie Wilcox, E. Gordon Grau, Christopher Kelley, Richard L. Pyle, and Brian W. Bowen, “Phylogeographic Analyses of Submesophotic Snappers Etelis coruscans and Etelis "marshi" (Family Lutjanidae) Reveal Concordant Genetic Structure across the Hawaiian Archipelago,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 4, 2014.
- Kimberly A. Tenggardjaja, Brian W. Bowen, and Giacomo Bernardi, “Vertical and Horizontal Genetic Connectivity in Chromis verater, an Endemic Damselfish Found on Shallow and Mesophotic Reefs in the Hawaiian Archipela,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 12, 2014.
- Erwan Delrieu-Trottin, Jeffrey Maynard, and Serge Planes, “Endemic and widespread coral reef fishes have similar mitochondrial genetic diversity,” Proceedings of The Royal Society B-Biological Sciences, vol. 281, no. 1797, 2014.
- Joshua A. Drew, and Jennifer M. Gumm, “Learning and Behavior in Reef Fish: Fuel for Microevolutionary Change?,” Ethology, 2014.
- G. Polgar, L. Zane, M. Babbucci, F. Barbisan, T. Patarnello, L. Rüber, and C. Papetti, “Phylogeography and demographic history of two widespread Indo-Pacific mudskippers (Gobiidae: Periophthalmus),” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2014.
- Sophie von der Heyden, Maria Beger, Robert J. Toonen, Lynne van Herwerden, Marie Antonette Juinio-Menez, Rachel Ravago-Gotanco, Cecile Fauvelot, and Giacomo Bernardi, “The application of genetics to marine management and conservation: examples from the Indo-Pacific,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 123–158, 2014.
- Jude Keyse, Eric D. Crandall, Robert J. Toonen, Christopher P. Meyer, Eric A. Treml, and Cynthia Riginos, “The scope of published population genetic data for Indo-Pacific marine fauna and future research opportunities in the region,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 47–78, 2014.
- Zoltan Szabo, Brent Snelgrove, Matthew T. Craig, Luiz A. Rocha, and Brian W. Bowen, “Phylogeography of the manybar goatfish, Parupeneus multifasciatus, reveals isolation of the Hawaiian Archipelago and a cryptic species in the Marquesas Islands,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 493–512, 2014.
- Matthew Iacchei, Joseph M. O'Malley, and Robert J. Toonen, “After the gold rush: population structure of spiny lobsters in Hawaii following a fishery closure and the implications for contemporary spatial management,” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 331–357, 2014.
- Joseph D. DiBattista, Ellen Waldrop, Luiz A. Rocha, Matthew T. Craig, Michael L. Berumen, and Brian W. Bowen, “ Blinded by the bright: a lack of congruence between colour morphs, phylogeography and taxonomy for a cosmopolitan Indo-Pacific butterflyfish, Chaetodon auriga ,” Journal of Biogeography, 2015.
- Mark A. Priest, Joseph D. DiBattista, Jennifer L. McIlwain, Brett M. Taylor, Nigel E. Hussey, and Michael L. Berumen, “ A bridge too far: dispersal barriers and cryptic speciation in an Arabian Peninsula grouper ( Cephalopholis hemistiktos ) ,” Journal of Biogeography, 2015.
- Iria Fernandez-Silva, John E. Randall, Richard R. Coleman, Joseph D. DiBattista, Luiz A. Rocha, James D. Reimer, Carl G. Meyer, and Brian W. Bowen, “ Yellow tails in the Red Sea: phylogeography of the Indo-Pacific goatfish Mulloidichthys flavolineatus reveals isolation in peripheral provinces and cryptic evolutionary lineages ,” Journal of Biogeography, 2015.
- Joseph D. DiBattista, J. Howard Choat, Michelle R. Gaither, Jean-Paul A. Hobbs, Diego F. Lozano-Cortés, Robert F. Myers, Gustav Paulay, Luiz A. Rocha, Robert J. Toonen, Mark W. Westneat, and Michael L. Berumen, “On the origin of endemic species in the Red Sea,” Journal of Biogeography, 2015.
- Kimberly R. Andrews, Ashley J. Williams, Iria Fernandez-Silva, Stephen J. Newman, Joshua M. Copus, Corey B. Wakefield, John E. Randall, and Brian W. Bowen, “Phylogeny of deepwater snappers (Genus Etelis) reveals a cryptic species pair in the Indo-Pacific and Pleistocene invasion of the Atlantic,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2016.
- Joseph D. DiBattista, Jonathan Whitney, Matthew T. Craig, Jean-Paul A. Hobbs, Luiz A. Rocha, Kevin A. Feldheim, Michael L. Berumen, and Brian W. Bowen, “Surgeons and suture zones: Hybridization among four surgeonfish species in the Indo-Pacific with variable evolutionary outcomes,” Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2016.
- Ahasan Habib, and Zohrah Sulaiman, “ High genetic connectivity of narrow-barred Spanish mackerel ( Scomberomorus commerson ) from the South China, Bali and Java Seas ,” Zoology and Ecology, pp. 1–7, 2016.
- Brian W. Bowen, “The Three Domains of Conservation Genetics: Case Histories from Hawaiian Waters,” Journal of Heredity, pp. esw018, 2016.
- Pauliina A. Ahti, Richard R. Coleman, Joseph D. DiBattista, Michael L. Berumen, Luiz A. Rocha, and Brian W. Bowen, “ Phylogeography of Indo-Pacific reef fishes: sister wrasses Coris gaimard and C. cuvieri in the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean ,” Journal of Biogeography, 2016.
- Ellen Waldrop, Jean-Paul A. Hobbs, John E. Randall, Joseph D. DiBattista, Luiz A. Rocha, Randall K. Kosaki, Michael L. Berumen, and Brian W. Bowen, “ Phylogeography, population structure and evolution of coral-eating butterflyfishes (Family Chaetodontidae, genus Chaetodon , subgenus Corallochaetodon ) ,” Journal of Biogeography, 2016.
- Kimberly A. Tenggardjaja, Brian W. Bowen, and Giacomo Bernardi, “Reef Fish Dispersal in the Hawaiian Archipelago: Comparative Phylogeography of Three Endemic Damselfishes,” Journal of Marine Biology, vol. 2016, pp. 1–17, 2016.