- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Marine Biology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 945734, 12 pages
Aggregation of Euphausia sibogae during Summer Monsoon along the Southwest Coast of India
1National Institute of Oceanography Regional Centre, Dr. Salim Ali Road, P.O. Box 1913, Kochi 682 018, India
2Centre for Marine Living Resources and Ecology, Ministry of Earth Sciences, 6th floor, Block C, Kendriya Bhavan, Kakkanad, Kochi 682 037, India
3Zoological Survey of India, Prani Vigyan Bhawan, M-Block, New Alipore, Kolkata 700053, India
4School of Marine Sciences, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi 682016, India
5Marine Environment and Wild Life Section, Environment Department, Government of Dubai, P.O. Box 67, UAE
6Centre for Earth Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Banglore 560 012, India
7National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research, Ministry of Earth Science, Vasco-da-Gama, Goa 403 804, India
Received 28 January 2011; Revised 10 June 2011; Accepted 4 July 2011
Academic Editor: Eduardo Suárez-Morales
Copyright © 2011 K. J. Jayalakshmi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Roger, “The plankton of the tropical western Indian ocean as a biomass indirectly supporting surface tunas (yellowfin, Thunnus albacares, skipjack, Katsuwonus pelamis),” Environmental Biology of Fishes, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 161–172, 1994.
- A. de C. Baker, “The latitudinal distribution of Euphausia species in the surface waters of the Indian Ocean,” Discovery Report, vol. 33, pp. 309–334, 1965.
- K. Gopalakrishnan and E. Brinton, “Preliminary observations on the distribution of Eupahusiacea from the International Indian Ocean Expedition,” Bulletin of National Institute of Science India, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 594–611, 1969.
- E. Brinton and K. Gopalakrishnan, “The distribution of Indian Ocean euphausiids,” in Ecological Studies-3, The Biology of the Indian Ocean, B. Zeitschel, Ed., pp. 357–380, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1973.
- L. A. Ponomareva, The Euphausiids of the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea, Academy Nauk, Moscow, Russia, 1975.
- E. G. Silas and K. J. Mathew, “Spatial distribution of euphausiacea (Crustacea) in the southeastern Arabian Sea,” Journal of Marine Biological Association, India, vol. 28, no. 1&2, pp. 1–20, 1986.
- K. J. Mathew, T. S. Naomi, G. Antony, and K. S. Scariah, “Distribution of euphausicea in space and time in the Indian EEZ and contiguous sea,” in Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Scientific Results of FORV Sagar Sampada, K. J. Mathew, Ed., pp. 121–127, 1990.
- K. J. Mathew, “A review of the studies on Euphausiacea (Crustacea) of the Indian Ocean with special reference to the EEZ of India,” CMFRI Bulletin, no. 49, 2000.
- K. J. Mathew, G. Sivan, P. K. Krishnakumar, and S. Kuriakose, Euphausiids of the West Coast of India, CMFRI Special Publication, 2003.
- K. J. Mathew, “Studies on larval euphausiids of the southwest coast of India with notes on the developmental pathways and breeding seasons,” Journal of Marine Biological Association, India, vol. 25, no. 1&2, pp. 51–70, 1983.
- S. L. Smith, “The northwestern Indian Ocean during the monsoons of 1979: distribution, abundance, and feeding of zooplankton,” Deep Sea Research Part A, Oceanographic Research Papers, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1331–1353, 1982.
- K. Banse, “Issues related to the vertical flux in the Arabian Sea,” US JGOFS: Arabian Sea process study, US JOGOFS Planning Report 13, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1991.
- S. Smith, M. Roman, I. Prusova et al., “Seasonal response of zooplankton to monsoonal reversals in the Arabian Sea,” Deep-Sea Research Part II, vol. 45, no. 10-11, pp. 2369–2403, 1998.
- M. Madhupratap, S. R. S. Nair, P. Haridas, and G. Padmavati, “Response of zooplankton to physical changes in the environment: coastal upwelling along the central west coast of India,” Journal of Coastal Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 413–426, 1990.
- K. K. C. Nair, M. Madhupratap, T. C. Gopalakrishnan, P. Haridas, and M. Gauns, “The Arabian Sea: Physical environment, zooplankton and myctophid abundance,” Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 138–145, 1999.
- R. Subrahmanyan, “A systematic account of the marine plankton diatoms of the Madras coast,” Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences—Section B, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 85–197, 1946.
- C. R. Thomas, Identifying Marine Phytoplankton, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- L. Postel, H. Fock, and W. Hagen, “Biomass and abundance,” in ICES Zooplankton Methodology Manual, R. P. Harris, P. H. Wiebe, J. Lenz, H. R. Skjoldal, and M. Huntley, Eds., p. 684, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2000.
- UNESCO, Zooplankton Sampling. Monograph of Oceanographic Methodology: No 2, UNESCO Publication, 1968.
- G. E. Newell and R. C. Newell, Marine Plankton, a Practical Guide, Hutchinson Biological Monograph, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1973.
- C. D. Todd and M. S. Laverack, Coastal Marine Plankton: A Practical Manual for the Students, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1991.
- H. Habeebrehman, M. P. Prabhakaran, J. Jacob et al., “Variability in biological responses influenced by upwelling events in the Eastern Arabian Sea,” Journal of Marine Systems, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 545–560, 2008.
- M. Madhupratap and P. Haridas, “Zooplankton, especially calanoid copepods, in the upper 1000 m of the south-east Arabian Sea,” Journal of Plankton Research, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 305–321, 1990.
- R. D. Brodeur and W. G. Pearcy, “Effects of environmental variability on trophic interactions and food web structure in a pelagic upwelling ecosystem,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 101–119, 1992.
- J. Gómez-Gutiérrez, W. T. Peterson, and C. B. Miller, “Cross-shelf life-stage segregation and community structure of the euphausiids off central Oregon (1970-1972),” Deep-Sea Research Part II, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 289–315, 2005.
- K. J. Mathew, “Studies on quantitative abundance of Euphausiacea with special reference to distribution in space and time along the southwest coast of India,” Journal of Marine Biological Association, India, vol. 22, no. 1&2, pp. 123–148, 1980.
- K. J. Mathew, “The ecology of Euphausiacea along the southwest coast of India,” Journal of Marine Biological Association, India, vol. 27, no. 1&2, pp. 130–135, 1985.
- A. Thiriot , “Zooplankton communities in the West African upwelling area,” in Upwelling Ecosystems, R. Boje and M. Tomczac, Eds., pp. 32–61, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1978.
- C. E. Stelfox, P. H. Burkill, E. S. Edwards, R. P. Harris, and M. A. Sleigh, “The structure of zooplankton communities, in the 2 to 2000 μm size range, in the Arabian Sea during and after the SW monsoon, 1994,” Deep-Sea Research Part II, vol. 46, no. 3-4, pp. 815–842, 1999.
- R. R. Makarov, “Larval distribution and reproductive ecology of Thysanoessa macrura (Crustacea: Euphausiacea) in the Scotia Sea,” Marine Biology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 377–386, 1979.
- M. Barange and S. C. Pillar, “Cross-shelf circulation, zonation and maintenance mechanisms of Nyctiphanes capensis and Euphausia hanseni (Euphausiacea) in the northern Benguela upwelling system,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1027–1042, 1992.
- G. A. Tarling, J. Cuzin-Roudy, and F. Buchholz, “Vertical migration behavior in the northern krill Meganyctiphanes norvegica is influenced by moult and reproductive processes,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 190, pp. 253–262, 1999.
- K. J. Mathew, “Net avoidance behaviour among larval juvenile and adult euphausiids,” Journal of Marine Biological Association of India, vol. 30, no. 1&2, pp. 93–98, 1988.
- J. Mauchline and L. R. Fisher, “The biology of euphausiids,” Advances in Marine Biology, vol. 7, pp. 1–454, 1969.
- K. F. Wiborg, Investigations on Euphausiids in Some Fjords on the West Coast of Norway in 1966–1969, Serie Havundersokelser, Fiskeridirektoratets skrifter, 1971.
- J. Mauchline, “The Biology of euphausiids,” in Advances in Marine Biology, J. H. S. Blaxter, F. S. Russel, and M. Yonge, Eds., vol. 18, pp. 373–554, Academic Press, London, UK, 1980.
- A. I. Pinchuk and R. R. Hopcroft, “Egg production and early development of Thysanoessa inermis and Euphausia pacifica (Crustacea: Euphausiacea) in the northern Gulf of Alaska,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, vol. 332, no. 2, pp. 206–215, 2006.
- L. R. Feinberg and W. T. Peterson, “Variability in duration and intensity of euphausiiid spawning off central Oregon, 1996–2001,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 57, pp. 363–379, 2003.
- J. F. Gillooly, E. L. Charnov, G. B. West, V. M. Savage, and J. H. Brown, “Effects of size and temperature on developmental time,” Nature, vol. 417, no. 6884, pp. 70–73, 2002.