- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Marine Biology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 202515, 7 pages
Histology and Mucous Histochemistry of the Integument and Body Wall of a Marine Polychaete Worm, Ophryotrocha n. sp. (Annelida: Dorvilleidae) Associated with Steelhead Trout Cage Sites on the South Coast of Newfoundland
1Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 80 White Hills Road, P.O. Box 5667, St. John's, NL, A1C 5X1, Canada
2School of Fisheries, Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, A1C 5R3, Canada
3Department of Environmental Science, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, A1C 5S7, Canada
Received 15 December 2011; Revised 18 January 2012; Accepted 18 January 2012
Academic Editor: Garth L. Fletcher
Copyright © 2012 H. M. Murray et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. H. Findlay, L. Watling, and L. M. Mayer, “Environmental impact of salmon net-pen culture on marine benthic communities in Maine: a case study,” Estuaries, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 145–179, 1995.
- P. Tomassetti and S. Porrello, “Polychaetes as indicators of marine fish farm organic enrichment,” Aquaculture International, vol. 13, no. 1-2, pp. 109–128, 2005.
- B. T. Hargrave, G. A. Phillips, L. I. Doucette et al., “Assessing benthic impacts of organic enrichment from marine aquaculture,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 99, no. 1–4, pp. 641–650, 1997.
- H. Yokoyama, K. Abo, and Y. Ishihi, “Quantifying aquaculture-derived organic matter in the sediment in and around a coastal fish farm using stable carbon and nitrogen isotope ratios,” Aquaculture, vol. 254, no. 1–4, pp. 411–425, 2006.
- D. J. Wildish and G. W. Pohle, “Benthic macrofauna changes resulting from finfish mariculture,” in The Handbook of Environmental Chemistry. Part M Environmental Effects of Marine Finfish Aquaculture, B. T. Hargrave, Ed., vol. 5, pp. 275–304, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2005.
- R. J. Diaz and R. Rosenberg, “Marine benthic hypoxia: a review of its ecological effects and the behavioural responses of benthic macrofauna,” Oceanography and Marine Biology, vol. 33, pp. 245–303, 1995.
- H. C. Nilsson and R. Rosenberg, “Succession in marine benthic habitats and fauna in response to oxygen deficiency: analysed by sediment profile-imaging and by grab samples,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 197, pp. 139–149, 2000.
- K. M. Brooks, “Evaluation of the relationship between salmon farm biomass, organic inputs to sediments, physicochemical changes associated with the inputs, and the infaunal response—with emphasis on total sediment sulfides, total volatile solids, and oxygen reduction potential as surrogate end-points for biological monitoring,” Report to the Technical Advisory Group, BC Ministry of the Environment, pp.183, 2080-A Labieux, Road, Nanaimo, Canada V9T 6J9, 2001.
- B. T. Hargrave, D. E. Duplisea, E. Pfeiffer, and D. J. Wildish, “Seasonal changes in benthic fluxes of dissolved oxygen and ammonium associated with marine cultured Atlantic salmon,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 249–257, 1993.
- P. Pocklington, D. B. Scott, C. T. Schaffer, et al., “Polychaete response to different aquaculture activities,” in Proceedings of the Actes de la erne Conference Internationale des Polychetes Mem Mus Natn 'ist Nat, J. C. Dauvin, L. Laubier, and D. J. Reish, Eds., pp. 511–520, 1994.
- D. E. Duplisea and B. T. Hargrave, “Response of meiobenthic size-structure, biomass and respiration to sediment organic enrichment,” Hydrobiologia, vol. 339, no. 1–3, pp. 161–170, 1996.
- H. K. Dean, “The use of polychaetes (Annelida) as indicator species of marine pollution: a review,” Revista de Biologia Tropical, vol. 56, supplement 4, pp. 11–38, 2008.
- D. P. Weston, “Quantitative examination of macrobenthic community changes along an organic enrichment gradient,” Marine Ecology Progressive Series, vol. 61, pp. 233–244, 1990.
- M. F. Tlusty, V. A. Pepper, and M. R. Anderson, “Realizing the potential of frontier regions in aquaculture-the newfoundland salmonid experience,” World Aquaculture, vol. 31, pp. 50–54, 2000.
- D. J Thornhill, T. G. Dahlgren, K. M. Halanych, et al., “Evolution and ecology of Ophryotrocha (Dorvilleidae, Eunicida),” in Annelids in Modern Biology, D. H. Shain, Ed., pp. 242–252, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- T. G. Dahlgren, B. Åkesson, C. Schander, K. M. Halanych, and P. Sundberg, “Molecular phylogeny of the model annelid Ophryotrocha,” Biological Bulletin, vol. 201, no. 2, pp. 193–203, 2001.
- H. Wiklund, A. G. Glover, and T. G. Dahlgren, “Three new species of Ophryotrocha (Annelida: Dorvilleidae) from a whale-fall in the North-East Atlantic,” Zootaxa, no. 2228, pp. 43–56, 2009.
- V. Storch, “The ultrastructure of polychaeta. I. Integument,” in Microfauna Marina, W. Westheide and C. O. Hermans, Eds., vol. 4, pp. 13–36, Verlag, Stuttgart, Germany, 1988.
- K. Alain, M. Olagnon, D. Desbruyères et al., “Phylogenetic characterization of the bacterial assemblage associated with mucous secretions of the hydrothermal vent polychaete Paralvinella palmiformis,” FEMS Microbiology Ecology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 463–476, 2002.
- J. D. Bancroft and H. C. Cook, Manual of Histological Techniques, Longman Group Limited, New York, NY, USA, 1984.
- H. Hausen, “Comparative structure of the epidermis in polychaetes (Annelida),” Hydrobiologia, vol. 535, no. 1, pp. 25–35, 2005.
- N. McDaniel and K. Banse, “A novel method of suspension feeding by the maldanid polychaete Praxillura maculata,” Marine Biology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 129–132, 1979.
- P. R. Flood and A. Fiala-Médioni, “Structure of the mucous feeding filter of Chaetopterus variopedatus (Polychaeta),” Marine Biology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 27–33, 1982.
- F. Anton-Erxleben, “Investigations on the cuticle of the polychaete elytra using energy dispersive X-ray analysis,” Helgoländer Meeresuntersuchungen, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 439–450, 1981.
- L. M. Gustavsson and C. Erséus, “Cuticular ultrastructure in some marine oligochaetes (Tubificidae),” Invertebrate Biology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 152–166, 2000.
- L. M. Gustavsson, “A Comparative study of the cuticle in some aquatic oligochaetes (Annelida: Clitellata),” Journal of Morphology, vol. 248, no. 2, pp. 185–195, 2000.
- M. Mastrodonato, E. Lepore, M. Gherardi, S. Zizza, M. Sciscioli, and D. Ferri, “Histochemical and ultrastructural analysis of the epidermal gland cells of Branchiomma luctuosum (Polychaeta, Sabellidae),” Invertebrate Biology, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 303–309, 2005.
- A. Licata, A. Mauceri, L. Ainis et al., “Lectin histochemistry of epidermal glandular cells in the earthworm Lumbricus terrestris (Annelida Oligochaeta),” European Journal of Histochemistry, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 173–178, 2002.