- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Marine Biology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 684279, 8 pages
Cetaceans and Marine Debris: The Great Unknown
Science Directorate, Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society, Brookfield House, 38 St Paul Street, Chippenham, Wiltshire SN15 1LJ, UK
Received 1 March 2012; Accepted 4 May 2012
Academic Editor: E. C. M. (Chris) Parsons
Copyright © 2012 Mark Peter Simmonds. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- UNEP, Marine Litter: A Global Challenge, Nairobi, UNEP, 2009.
- D. K. A. Barnes, F. Galgani, R. C. Thompson, and M. Barlaz, “Accumulation and fragmentation of plastic debris in global environments,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 364, no. 1526, pp. 1985–1998, 2009.
- J. A. Ivar do Sul and M. F. Costa, “Marine debris review for Latin America and the Wider Caribbean Region: from the 1970s until now, and where do we go from here?” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 54, no. 8, pp. 1087–1104, 2007.
- M. Allsopp, A. Walters, D. Santillo, and P. Johnston, Plastic Debris in the World’s Oceans, Greenpeace, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2006.
- J. K. Jacobsen, L. Massey, and F. Gulland, “Fatal ingestion of floating net debris by two sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus),” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 765–767, 2010.
- E. L. Teuten, J. M. Saquing, D. R. U. Knappe et al., “Transport and release of chemicals from plastics to the environment and to wildlife,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, vol. 364, no. 1526, pp. 2027–2045, 2009.
- W. A. Walker and J. M. Coe, “Survey of marine debris ingestion by odontocete cetaceans,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Marine Debris, R. S. Shomura and M. L. Godfrey, Eds., vol. 1, pp. 747–774, United States Department of Commerce, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, April 1989.
- D. W. Laist, “Overview of the biological effects of lost and discarded plastic debris in the marine environment,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 319–326, 1987.
- D. W. Laist, “Impacts of marine debris: entanglement of marine life in marine debris including a comprehensive list of species with entanglement and ingestion records,” in Marine Debris: Sources, Impacts and Solutions, J. M. Coe and D. B. Rogers, Eds., pp. 99–140, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- NOAA/UNEP, “Fifth international marine debris conference: Waves of Change—Global Lessons to Improve Local Actions,” 2011, http://www.5imdc.org.
- S. Aliani, A. Griffa, and A. Molcard, “Floating debris in the Ligurian Sea, North-Western Mediterranean,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1142–1149, 2003.
- R. Williams, E. Ashe, and P. D. O'Hara, “Marine mammals and debris in coastal waters of British Columbia, Canada,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1303–1316, 2011.
- M. A. Stamper, B. R. Whitaker, and T. D. Schofield, “Case study: morbidity in a pygmy sperm whale Kogia breviceps due to ocean-bourne plastic,” Marine Mammal Science, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 719–722, 2006.
- S. Mazzariol, G. D. Guardo, A. Petrella et al., “Sometimes sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) cannot find their way back to the high seas: a multidisciplinary study on a mass stranding,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e19417, 2011.
- C. D. MacLeod, “Understanding the impacts of human activities on beaked whales: from individuals to species, and from local to global,” in Proceedings of the ECS workshop on beaked whale research, S. J. Dolman, C. D. MacLeod, and P. G. H. Evans, Eds., ECS, San Sebastián, Spain, April 2007.
- E. Poncelet, O. van Canneyt, and J.-J. Boubert, “Considerable amount of plastic debris in the stomach of a Cuvier’s beaked whale (Ziphius cavirostris) washed ashore on the French Atlantic coast,” European Research on Cetaceans, vol. 14, pp. 44–47, 2000.
- M. B. Santos, G. J. Pierce, J. Herman et al., “Feeding ecology of Cuvier's beaked whale (Ziphius cavirostris): a review with new information on the diet of this species,” Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 687–694, 2001.
- M. B. Santos, V. Martin, M. Arbelo, A. Fernández, and G. J. Pierce, “Insights into the diet of beaked whales from the atypical mass stranding in the Canary Islands in September 2002,” Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 243–251, 2007.
- R. Fernández, M. B. Santos, M. Carrillo, M. Tejedor, and G. J. Pierce, “Stomach contents of cetaceans stranded in the Canary Islands 1996–2006,” Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 873–883, 2009.
- Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust pers comm. 7/6/2004.
- Deaville and Jepson pers comm., R. Deaville, and P. D. Jepson, “UK Cetacean Strandings Investgation Programme,” Final Report, 2005.
- E. R. Secchi and S. Zarzur, “Plastic debris ingested by a Blainville’s beaked whake, Mesoplodon densirostris, washed ashore in Brazil,” Aquatic Mammals, vol. 25, pp. 21–24, 1999.
- Associated Press, “Whale Death off Puerto Rico blamed on plastic bags,” 2011.
- R. W. Baird and S. K. Hooker, “Ingestion of plastic and unusual prey by a juvenile harbour porpoise,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 719–720, 2000.
- A. M. Tonay, A. Dede, A. A. Öztürk, and B. Öztürk, “Stomach content of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) from the Turkish western Black Sea in Spring and early Summer,” Rapport Committee International de la Mer Mediterranée, vol. 38, article 616, 2007.
- A. C. Oliveira de Meirelles and H. M. Duarte do Rego Barros, “Plastic debris ingested by a rough-toothed dolphin, Steno bredanensis, stranded alive in northeastern Brazil,” Biotemas, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 127–131, 2007.
- P. Denuncio, R. Bastida, M. Dassis, G. Giardino, M. Gerpe, and D. Rodríguez, “Plastic ingestion in Franciscana dolphins, Pontoporia blainvillei (Gervais and d'Orbigny, 1844), from Argentina,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1836–1841, 2011.
- Townsville Bulletin, “Dead whale had gut full of plastic,” 2001.
- Marine Conservation Society Fact Sheet, “Long term impacts of plastic bags in the marine environment,” 2004.
- Marine Mammal Commission, “Effects of pollution on marine mammals,” Annual Report, Marine Mammal Commission, Bethesda, MD, USA, 1996.
- R. H. Lambertsen, K. J. Rasmussen, W. C. Lancaster, and R. J. Hintz, “Functional morphology of the mouth of the bowhead whale and its implications for conservation,” Journal of Mammalogy, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 342–352, 2005.
- J. L. Neilson, J. M. Straley, C. M. Gabriele, and S. Hills, “Non-lethal entanglement of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) in fishing gear in northern Southeast Alaska,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 452–464, 2009.
- S. D. Kraus, “Rates and potential causes of mortality in North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis),” Marine Mammal Science, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 278–291, 1990.
- L. Volgenau, S. D. Kraus, and J. Lien, “The impact of entanglements on two substocks of the western North Atlantic humpback whale, Megaptera novaeangliae,” Canadian Journal of Zoology, vol. 73, no. 9, pp. 1689–1698, 1995.
- A. R. Knowlton and S. D. Kraus, “Mortality and serious injury of northern right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) in the western North Atlantic Ocean,” Journal of Cetacean Research and Management, vol. 2, pp. 193–208, 2001.
- A. Gill, R. J. Reid, and B. R. Fairbairns, “Photographic and strandings data highlighting the problem of marine debris and creel rope entanglement to minke whales (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) and other marine life in Scottish waters,” European Research on Cetaceans, vol. 14, pp. 173–178, 2000.
- P. D. Jepson, “Cetaceans strandings investigation and co-ordination in the UK: trends in cetacean strandings around the UK coastline and cetacean and marine turtle post-mortem investigations, 2000 to 2004 inclusive,” Final report CRO 238.
- P. D. Jepson and R. Deaville, “Investigation of the common dolphin mass stranding event in Cornwall,” Tech. Rep. number CR0364, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, 2008.