- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Medical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 265412, 9 pages
Micromotion of Dental Implants: Basic Mechanical Considerations
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Egerlandstraße 5, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
2Department of Prosthodontics, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Glueckstraße 11, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Received 13 August 2012; Accepted 23 September 2012
Academic Editor: Raju Adhikari
Copyright © 2013 Werner Winter et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. R. Laney, Glossary of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, German edition, Quintessenz, Berlin, Germany, 2008.
- J. B. Brunski, “The influence of force, motion and related quantities on the response of bone to implant,” in Non-Cemented Total Hip Arthroplasty, R. Fitzgerald, Ed., pp. 7–21, Ravens Press, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- J. B. Brunski, “In vivo bone response to biomechanical loading at the bone/dental-implant interface,” Advances in Dental Research, vol. 13, pp. 99–119, 1999.
- S. Szmukler-Moncler, H. Salama, Y. Reingewirtz, and J. H. Dubruille, “Timing of loading and effect of micromotion on bone-dental implant interface: review of experimental literature,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 43, pp. 192–203, 1998.
- S. Szmukler-Moncler, A. Piattelli, G. A. Favero, and J. H. Dubruille, “Considerations preliminary to the application of early and immediate loading protocols in dental implantology,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 12–25, 2000.
- H. Kawahara, D. Kawahara, M. Hayakawa, Y. Tamai, T. Kuremoto, and S. Matsuda, “Osseointegration under immediate loading: biomechanical stress-strain and bone formation—resorption,” Implant Dentistry, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 2003.
- G. E. Romanos, “Present status of immediate loading of oral implants,” The Journal of Oral Implantology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 189–197, 2004.
- P. Trisi, G. Perfetti, E. Baldoni, D. Berardi, M. Colagiovanni, and G. Scogna, “Implant micromotion is related to peak insertion torque and bone density,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 467–471, 2009.
- W. Engelke, O. A. Decco, M. J. Rau, M. C. A. Massoni, and W. Schwarzwäller, “In vitro evaluation of horizontal implant micromovement in bone specimen with contact endoscopy,” Implant Dentistry, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 88–94, 2004.
- S. Holst, H. Geiselhoeringer, M. Wichmann, and A. I. Holst, “The effect of provisional restoration type on micromovement of implants,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 173–182, 2008.
- M. Goellner, J. Schmitt, M. Karl, M. Wichmann, and S. Holst, “The effect of axial and oblique loading on the micromovement of dental implants,” International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 26, pp. 257–264, 2011.
- W. Winter, D. Klein, and M. Karl, “Effect of model parameters on finite element analysis of micromotions in implant dentistry,” The Journal of Oral Implantology. In press.
- J. E. Bechtold, O. Mouzin, L. Kidder, and K. Søballe, “A controlled experimental model of revision implants: Part II. Implementation with loaded titanium implants and bone graft,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 650–656, 2001.
- L. C. Jones, C. Frondoza, and D. S. Hungerford, “Effect of PMMA particles and movement on an implant interface in a canine model,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 448–458, 2001.
- O. Mouzin, K. Soballe, and J. E. Bechtold, “Loading improves anchorage of hydroxyapatite implants more than titanium implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 58, pp. 61–68, 2001.
- R. Skripitz and P. Aspenberg, “Early effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on implant fixation,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 392, pp. 427–432, 2001.
- S. Toksvig-Larsen, L. P. Jorn, L. Ryd, and A. Lindstrand, “Hydroxyapatite-enhanced tibial prosthetic fixation,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 370, pp. 192–200, 2000.
- H. M. Van Der Vis, P. Aspenberg, R. K. Marti, W. Tigchelaar, and C. J. F. Van Noorden, “Fluid pressure causes bone resorption in a rabbit model of prosthetic loosening,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 350, pp. 201–208, 1998.
- H. G. Willert and G. H. Buchhorn, “Osseointegration of cemented and noncemented implants in artificial hip replacement: long-term findings in man,” Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants, vol. 9, no. 1-2, pp. 113–130, 1999.
- J. Brunski, J. Currey, J. A. Helms, P. Leucht, A. Nanci, and R. Wazen, “Implant geometry, interfacial strain and mechanobiology of oral implants revisited,” in Proceedings of the first P-I Branemark Scientific Symposium, Gothenburg 2009, R. Gottlander and D. van Steenberghe, Eds., pp. 45–59, Quintessence Publishing, London, UK, 2011.
- D. C. Holmes and J. T. Loftus, “Influence of bone quality on stress distribution for endosseous implants,” The Journal of Oral Implantology, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 104–111, 1997.
- W. Winter, S. Möhrle, S. Holst, and M. Karl, “Parameters of implant stability measurements based on resonance frequency and damping capacity: a comparative finite element analysis,” The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 532–539, 2010.
- W. Winter, P. Steinmann, S. Holst, and M. Karl, “Effect of geometric parameters on finite element analysis of bone loading caused by nonpassively fitting implant-supported dental restorations,” Quintessence International, vol. 42, pp. 471–478, 2011.
- J. B. Brunski, “Biomechanical factors affecting the bone-dental implant interface,” Clinical Materials, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 153–201, 1992.
- A. B. Carr and W. R. Laney, “Maximum occlusal force levels in patients with osseointegrated oral implant prostheses and patients with complete dentures,” The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 101–108, 1987.
- S. Raghavendra, M. C. Wood, and T. D. Taylor, “Early wound healing around endosseous implants: a review of the literature,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 425–431, 2005.