- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Medical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 570354, 6 pages
The Effects of Laser Marking and Symbol Etching on the Fatigue Life of Medical Devices
Staffordshire University, Stafford ST18 0AD, UK
Received 9 November 2012; Accepted 6 March 2013
Academic Editor: Michel Labrosse
Copyright © 2013 P. J. Ogrodnik et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. B. Dane, L. Hackel, J. Honig et al., Lasershot Marking System:High-Volume Labeling For Safety-Critical Parts, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory: U.S. Department of Energy, 2001.
- L Rosecrans, “Effects of laser marking on fatigue strengths of selected space shuttle main engine materials,” in The Changing Frontiers of Laser Materials Processing, pp. 223–230, Arlington, Va, USA, November 1986.
- T. B. Grivas, O. D. Savvidou, S. A. Psarakis et al., “Neck fracture of a cementless forged titanium alloy femoral stem following total hip arthroplasty: a case report and review of the literature,” Journal of Medical Case Reports, vol. 1, article 174, 2007.
- S. Valette, P. Steyer, L. Richard, B. Forest, C. Donnet, and E. Audouard, “Influence of femtosecond laser marking on the corrosion resistance of stainless steels,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 252, no. 13, pp. 4696–4701, 2006.
- C. I. Moorcroft, Control and monitoring of fracture movement in fractures of the human tibia [Ph.D. thesis], Staffordshire University, 1998.
- M. F. Ashby and D. R. H. Jones, Engineering Materials 1: An Introduction to Properties, Applications and Design: v. 1, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2005.
- W. D. Pilkey and D. F. Pilkey, Peterson's Stress Concentration Factors, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 2008.
- J. Qi, K. L. Wang, and Y. M. Zhu, “A study on the laser marking process of stainless steel,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 139, no. 1–3, pp. 273–276, 2003.
- MATWEB, Material Properties: Ti-6AL-4V, 2012, http://www.matweb.com/.
- C. Casavola, C. Pappalettere, and G. Pluvinage, “Fatigue resistance of titanium laser and hybrid welded joints,” Materials and Design, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 3127–3135, 2011.
- T. Ghidini, A. de Rooij, A. Graham, M. Nikullainen, and G. Bussu, “The role of failure analysis and fracture mechanics in the spacecraft systems safety,” in European Space Agency, Workshop on Fracture Control of Spacecraft, Launchers and their Payloads and Experiments, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, February 2009.